BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I think the dwarves big weakness will be vs shooty type armies, if they are in a melee configuration anyway. They are slow and they seem to benefit from getting stuck in and enduring. IF you are on the outside of their lines shooting that will force them to move.

Missile units and especially war machines are good at killing characters. Characters are extra killing in combat, but typically can't do much to hurt you at range, and those extra wounds will just fall so easily to thinks like cannons.

Yeah. Rules as written we were seeing no one put heroes out front they were all cowering in the back because you could put your chaos lord in a unit of 20 marauders and then next turn 20 crossbow guys could just all aim at him and wipe him off the table.

That seemed kind of lame so we added a house rule to let you join heroes to units of like size (infantry to infantry cav to cav etc) to protect from that. Battles where the heroes are hiding in the back seemed wrong.

If heroes get within 32" of a dwarf cannon, doesn't matter where they are, they're likely getting hammered with up to 2D6 wounds. It's hard to make your heroes effective while still hiding them.

Yea, the hero thing kinda killed AoG for us. We pretty much decided to drop the game for our league unless the narrative campaign comes out is really good. We tried a couple of house rules "codex" but soon realized that we were playing more like game developers and not really enjoying the game. It's one thing that players patch a few things here and their for our liking. It's another having to write several pages of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    If heroes get within 32" of a dwarf cannon, doesn't matter where they are, they're likely getting hammered with up to 2D6 wounds. It's hard to make your heroes effective while still hiding them.
    That is very true!

Veteran-Sergeant

Why are people trying to make a game not in any way meant to be competitive, to be competitive?
    -insert epic signature-

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dont-Be-Haten View Post
    Why are people trying to make a game not in any way meant to be competitive, to be competitive?
    There are a few reasons. Some because they liked the previous version of the rules, and so want to recapture that feeling in AoS. Others just haven't adapted to the paradigm shift yet.

Auticus would fall into the first category, taking the rules and adding additional structure to them until they are more to his liking.
    The second category would be those who are taking five Bloodthirsters.
    Last edited by Spider-pope; 07-09-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    Warseer refugee.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yawn.

I'm sorry I can't take any game seriously enough that allows you to look in the mirror for model do to narcisism...Secondly that is a load of bs. People should be able to be on the same battlefield simply by adding and subtracting units. 5 blood thirsters 10 dragons etc, ad nausea are just being TGFs. I'm sorry the game is not meant to be played by power gaming standards. If they want to play that, go play 40k, kill the caster, or setting better suited for that.

Let's be real, if you meet some rando-mouth breather that drops 5 blood thirsters in a friendly, or for that matter in a game then just just laugh and them and call them out and say no. In a tourney-Esque type setting you would already have counters to it and it shouldn't matter anyways.

Edit: I've played a handful of games and have had more fun than I ever did trying to play with the old editions. This has brought me back into fantasy, which was super hard to get into in the first place. Also, this is a give and take style game much more than before. And the people who aren't having fun are just grumpy pants. Lol.
    Last edited by Dont-Be-Haten; 07-09-2015 at 03:04 PM.
    -insert epic signature-

Because I am an event organizer and I run public games and you need a balancing mechanism to pull that off without having those events crash and burn.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast