BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

First-Captain

Default Favourite part of Age of Sigmar?

Lots to like about this system, its clean, simple and quick. Most importantly, its a fin game to play with friends and make some really cool scenarios.

My favourite part of the game so far is how Battle Shock works, its a huge part of the game.

If you've not read the rules yet (why not? They're free! [URL="Clicky click"]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums[/URL]) Battle Shock is the morale system, its simple but plays out really well, if a unit loses models in a turn, at the end of the turn you roll a Battle Shock Test, a d6 and add the number of models you lost, for every point its over the Bravery score of the Unit, a model runs away from the battle and is removed from the table.

This means that as things start to go wrong for a unit, a few of them can start to decide to leg it, rather than as before where they'd all stand firm until it really got bad when they'd all break at once. You still have full routs possible, but this is when the unit is really taking damage, a bad turn can mean the whole unit bottles it.

I have found it a really cool system that works cinematically and yet is really simple and clean. Adds to the feel of battles with mortal units fighting in an age of Gods.

The fluid movement (I thought i'd hate this) and how open it is to scenario play.

Chaplain

I like the concept of damage tables, making big monsters less effective as they suffer wounds.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    I like the concept of damage tables, making big monsters less effective as they suffer wounds.
    It's a toss up for me between this and the impact of Battleshock. Both are interesting game mechanics.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I don't know if people have really thought about the cross game utility inherent in AoS either. You can buy a set of models, mount them in a way to where you can use regimental bases if you want to and then use the exact same models for WFB 8th, AoS and KOW! Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Big weapons doing big damage.

For instance, Ironguts can wallop three infantry with every wounding roll, or gouge chunks out of Monsters.

Oh, and weapon reach!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I don't know if people have really thought about the cross game utility inherent in AoS either. You can buy a set of models, mount them in a way to where you can use regimental bases if you want to and then use the exact same models for WFB 8th, AoS and KOW! Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!
    This too.

It's an entirely different kind of wargame to what I'm used to. Very open ended, and I approve of such things. Accessible and all.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Lots to like about this system, its clean, simple and quick. Most importantly, its a fin game to play with friends and make some really cool scenarios.

My favourite part of the game so far is how Battle Shock works, its a huge part of the game.

If you've not read the rules yet (why not? They're free! [URL="Clicky click"]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums[/URL]) Battle Shock is the morale system, its simple but plays out really well, if a unit loses models in a turn, at the end of the turn you roll a Battle Shock Test, a d6 and add the number of models you lost, for every point its over the Bravery score of the Unit, a model runs away from the battle and is removed from the table.

This means that as things start to go wrong for a unit, a few of them can start to decide to leg it, rather than as before where they'd all stand firm until it really got bad when they'd all break at once. You still have full routs possible, but this is when the unit is really taking damage, a bad turn can mean the whole unit bottles it.

I have found it a really cool system that works cinematically and yet is really simple and clean. Adds to the feel of battles with mortal units fighting in an age of Gods.
    I really did not like this at first.

Then you realize there is much less to manage, and that focusing on one unit is really important, and that bravery/battleshock is affected by special rules differently by various scrolls, it means not everyone in the unit is a coward, etc...

My favorite part is the accessibility, and the synergies in the warscrolls.

I havent played WHF since 5th, but I have Brett, Dwarf, and Empire armies that may actually see the table now.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I think my favourite part is that it's free.

But hey, you know what else is free? This,

[url]http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html[/url]

It must be, like, a trend, or something.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

And in just under 40 minutes, my Ogres will be off to war in their biggest game of AoS so far.

And you know, rather than thinking 'how much of a dick can I be?' given my collection is 3,500 in the old money, I'm instead thinking 'how much do I actually want to field?'

Kind of tempted with a pair of Thundertusks, as I want to see how monsters now fare with the sliding scale of effectiveness.

Opponent is playing Empire, so provided I pick my fights well, combat should be too much of a worry.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

With a few games now under my belt here's what I like so far.
    1) There are no foregone conclusions. If you're sensible about what you deploy the game is always hard fought and never one sided.
    2) Losing doesn't suck. If WFB had one flaw (I loved it btw) it was this, games tended to be one sided. You either annihilated your opponent or they did so to you. Not so with AOS, even playing as the very obvious underdog Sudden Death made the games tense and extemely fun.
    2) It's NOT less strategic, in fact if anything your choices on the table matter MORE now than they did in 8th. Meta choices like army list composition etc are, in my experience so far, secondary to combat activation order and correct use of the hero phase.
    3) There is no duff army, seriously I've checked every list and looked at every unit entry, I cannot find something that doesn't have something to recommend it for use.
    4) Plot advancement, character development, no knowing what's happening, brain exploding!!!!!
    5) At my GW on Saturday there was not a singe person NOT there for AOS. That's the first time we've ever had a day when the store was 100% 40K free. Which to me means more games with my AOS minis than I ever got of WFB
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast