BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Default Favourite part of Age of Sigmar?

Lots to like about this system, its clean, simple and quick. Most importantly, its a fin game to play with friends and make some really cool scenarios.

My favourite part of the game so far is how Battle Shock works, its a huge part of the game.

If you've not read the rules yet (why not? They're free! [URL="Clicky click"]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums[/URL]) Battle Shock is the morale system, its simple but plays out really well, if a unit loses models in a turn, at the end of the turn you roll a Battle Shock Test, a d6 and add the number of models you lost, for every point its over the Bravery score of the Unit, a model runs away from the battle and is removed from the table.

This means that as things start to go wrong for a unit, a few of them can start to decide to leg it, rather than as before where they'd all stand firm until it really got bad when they'd all break at once. You still have full routs possible, but this is when the unit is really taking damage, a bad turn can mean the whole unit bottles it.

I have found it a really cool system that works cinematically and yet is really simple and clean. Adds to the feel of battles with mortal units fighting in an age of Gods.

The fluid movement (I thought i'd hate this) and how open it is to scenario play.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Lots to like about this system, its clean, simple and quick. Most importantly, its a fin game to play with friends and make some really cool scenarios.

My favourite part of the game so far is how Battle Shock works, its a huge part of the game.

If you've not read the rules yet (why not? They're free! [URL="Clicky click"]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums[/URL]) Battle Shock is the morale system, its simple but plays out really well, if a unit loses models in a turn, at the end of the turn you roll a Battle Shock Test, a d6 and add the number of models you lost, for every point its over the Bravery score of the Unit, a model runs away from the battle and is removed from the table.

This means that as things start to go wrong for a unit, a few of them can start to decide to leg it, rather than as before where they'd all stand firm until it really got bad when they'd all break at once. You still have full routs possible, but this is when the unit is really taking damage, a bad turn can mean the whole unit bottles it.

I have found it a really cool system that works cinematically and yet is really simple and clean. Adds to the feel of battles with mortal units fighting in an age of Gods.
    I really did not like this at first.

Then you realize there is much less to manage, and that focusing on one unit is really important, and that bravery/battleshock is affected by special rules differently by various scrolls, it means not everyone in the unit is a coward, etc...

My favorite part is the accessibility, and the synergies in the warscrolls.

I havent played WHF since 5th, but I have Brett, Dwarf, and Empire armies that may actually see the table now.

Chaplain

I like the concept of damage tables, making big monsters less effective as they suffer wounds.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    I like the concept of damage tables, making big monsters less effective as they suffer wounds.
    It's a toss up for me between this and the impact of Battleshock. Both are interesting game mechanics.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I don't know if people have really thought about the cross game utility inherent in AoS either. You can buy a set of models, mount them in a way to where you can use regimental bases if you want to and then use the exact same models for WFB 8th, AoS and KOW! Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Big weapons doing big damage.

For instance, Ironguts can wallop three infantry with every wounding roll, or gouge chunks out of Monsters.

Oh, and weapon reach!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I don't know if people have really thought about the cross game utility inherent in AoS either. You can buy a set of models, mount them in a way to where you can use regimental bases if you want to and then use the exact same models for WFB 8th, AoS and KOW! Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!
    This too.

It's an entirely different kind of wargame to what I'm used to. Very open ended, and I approve of such things. Accessible and all.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    This too.

It's an entirely different kind of wargame to what I'm used to. Very open ended, and I approve of such things. Accessible and all.
    As a long time historical player I'm constantly looking for cross rules/game utility as how many times does one want to paint a force of SYW Prussians.

This isn't something you see much outside of Historicals so by eliminating the base from the equation in AoS, GW has opened the game up for a person to freely float in and out of it... And Free rules! Seriously, who doesn't love that? I would much rather spend more on models!
    My Truescale Insanity

I like not knowing what's coming next; where the storylines will go, what new factions and models will look like, so on and on.

I also think things look really good on round bases, far better than I thought they would.

The rest of you have basically covered the other things. Monsters getting less effective as they're ground down, Big Damage...
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Sergeant

Another vote for the wounds affecting how effective monsters are. That should be ported to 40k immediately. Things like carnifexs could have their stats bumped to where they are the terrifying entities they should be, because you'd be able to whittle them down over the course of the game.
    Warseer refugee.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast