BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Should GW do to Slaanesh what they did to the Squats?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Slaanesh is too mature.

1 1.61%
  • Yes: Slaanesh was sleazy in a bad way.

4 6.45%
  • Yes: Slaanesh's models were bad.

1 1.61%
  • Yes: As long as it's replaced.

2 3.23%
  • Yes: Slaanesh was just too 80's to live.

2 3.23%
  • No: Slaanesh was cool!

6 9.68%
  • No: Slaanesh represents a mature aspect of the game I value.

12 19.35%
  • No: Slaanesh may be dumb, but it's pat of the game's heritage.

2 3.23%
  • No: Slaanesh is too critical to the fluff

27 43.55%
  • No: I hate retcons on principle

5 8.06%

Hybrid View

Default Slaanesh gone: yay or nay?

So, [url=http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/age-of-sigmar-slaanesh-exits-stage-right.html]with it looking like Slaanesh is being removed from Age of Sigmar[/url], what do we feel about the possibility of this happening in 40K too?
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 07-08-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Iron Father

I'm not bothered either way really, but if they take Slananesh out of 40k then that's pretty huge. The Emperors Children are pretty closely entwined with the deity. Will be interesting to see if he / she is written out as never happened, or destroyed. 4 chaos gods is a must and would leave a vacume, so it would be great to introduce a new God.......but what would be its niche ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Situations a bit different I think, since they've lumped Skaven with their own god the Horned Rat into the Chaos faction they were looking at having 5 Chaos Gods rather than 4. There's no extra 'Chaosy' god in the 40K verse that I'm aware of that has similar prominence as the Horned Rat. If they WERE to remove Slaanesh in 40K I would expect Fulgrim to either take advantage/have a hand in it and manage to ascend to full Godhood as a replacement. It would certainly be in keeping with his ambition and Character's evolution. Quite how he would differ in aspect to Slaanesh however is anyone's guess.

I would not like it, Slaanesh in 40k is much more essential to the Universe than he/she was to Fantasy - removing Slaanesh would have them re-write the Fall and subjequently all Eldar- and Dark Eldar-fluff (the relation to Dark Elves or High Elves in WHF was not as intertwined as it is 40k as far as I recall)

EDIT: and of course - poking a wasps' nest here - I always liked that Slaanesh and her/his Daemons (and in part the mortal followers) were more than bit outside the usual gender roles: Slaanesh can be male, female, both, neither and any shade in between; even if the not all of the sculpts looked like it Daemonettes are hemaphrodites; CSM followers of the Dark Prince tended to become more androgynous as time went on etc.
    I like to think that this is a somewhat progressive shade of 40k, I rather would not miss - sure, inclusion as bad guys to almost everyone else in the universe isn't excatly ideal but it is better than no inclusion at all; it could be way better but at least it is there
    Last edited by 0rph3u5; 07-08-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: adding what was lost

Chapter-Master

Not convinced it is being removed in fantasy, has warscrolls and models, I put it down to lazy fluff writing.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I could see them doing almost anything these days really

would be the end of my 40k Id say,
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I doubt Slaanesh in 40k is going anywhere. Too closely tied into the background (with the Fall of the Eldar, all those warp storms, the Emperor's Children etc.) in a way s/he wasn't really in (latter-day) Warhammer.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Scout

Let's not forget the entirety of the Eldar split is based on a Slanenesh God.

It would be possible in a 40k 'end times' that the Harlequins attack and kill/displace Slanenesh allowing sometype of Eldar unification... or the re-birth of the Eldar as a dominate race in the Galaxy to begin the fight against the rising Necron threat or 'other' forces that could be coming in from beyond (like Nids).