BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Of the traitors I ways had sympathy for Fulgrim, and the novel was fantastic imho.
    Fulgrim tried so hard, tried to be all that was perfect and it was this push for perfection that lead to his downfall, to which in itself is a great warning about striving for perfection.

Magnus was unfortunate, he fell for the Emperors lie and paid a huge price, Fulgrim and Horus are also victims of this.

Who knows what A/O really want or believe, the legion was made to be special ops and if not somehow renegade would be the ideal chapter.

Chaplain

Whilst I'm an Iron Warriors player, and love perturabo, there is only one contender for me. Fulgrim was really well written, I love the split where in the books atm alpharius is beginning to fall whilst omegon still seems to be a puppet of the cabal... But it has to be Dracula Batman Himself.

Konrad Kurze. The living embodiment of bat**** crazy. More pop culture references than a Seth McFarlane comedy. Inpredictable, paranoid, impulsive and thoughtful at the same time. Unpredictable. Just makes a great villain.

I've got no sympathy for Peturabo. The Iron Warriors? Sure; they really got stiffed. All the grunt work, none of the thanks, and then their Primarch comes along and makes them murder a tenth of their brothers to - what? Teach them what a d!ck he is? F**k Peturabo. The Iron Warriors are very sympathetic, but their Primarch really isn't.

I don't know if I'd say any of the traitor Primarchs are really all that sympathetic except maybe Magnus The Red, but he looks too damned goofy to be credible.

Angron's an awesome antivillain, but when you break it down, even with the Butcher's Nails, he's kind of a petulant little tool. Like, the World Eaters start to use them to be closer to him and win his love, and he doesn't even notice or care. That is some self-obsession right there.

Alpharius, there's not really a personality there, so I don't know how interesting a character he is.

Fulgrim's pretty great; the whole OCD drive to perfection makes perfect sense.

Kurze is okay, but he's not as interesting as his chapter, who are basically The Worst; just the most completely horrible group of lunatics. If the Night Lords didn't have those dumba** bat-winged hats and a colour scheme matching the interior wall of Roxy's Disco circa 1973, I'd probably collect them.

Horus is pretty cool, but I think that's mostly the sculpt.

Mortarion's not really got a personality beyond 'don't like nothing and no-one and is basically sarcastic all the time'.

Who does that leave? Oh Lorgar. Yeah, he's pretty cool; I like the irony that he's basically responsible for the Heresy, and arguably the long-term failure of Chaos (because no Lorgar, no Imperial Creed to pull humanity away from the worship of Chaos). Plus the Word Bearers are the default 'We like daemons' Legion.

So, yeah, Lorgar. Either him or Fulgrim are probably the best.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Kurze.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

The Lion has always been my favourite traitor to the Emperor, closely followed by Guilliman and The Khan.
    They have ended up being considered Loyalists because they did not side with Horus.
    Look at Guilliman, he wanted to set up his own Empire.
    The Khan only stayed loyal because the Alpha legion attacked them.
    The Lion. Well, the Lion made sure half of his Legion rebelled, then gave the very weapons Perturabo needed to breach the Imperial palace walls and wanted to be Emperor and gave Perturabo the guns to curry his favour.
    Best heretics, ever.

Mortarion, just because pre-Heresy he was utterly ruthless.
    Age of Sigmar: Chaos. Warhammer 40k: Salamanders Space Marines, Tau.

Alpharius / Omegon - Their vagueness and contradictions appeal to many but he just seems annoying and wishy washy to me. Is he 2 guys or 1? Is he a traitor or not? And one of them got beaten up by Papa Smurf.[/QUOTE]

The Index Astartes article that describes how Alpharius was beat up by Guilliman, that itself says the story could have been made up by the Alpha Legion. And that was before we found out Alpharius had a twin, or that other legionnaires impersonate Alpharius as well.

My favorite is Magnus as well, however, the Black Library novels do a great job of adding some character and motivation behind most of the "villains."

I never thought I'd say that Konrad Curze is a well-rounded character, but the Night Lords novel really fleshed a lot of things out.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Had Perturabo not turned, which again is entirely due to the Emperor being a dick to him...
    The funny thing is that is was actually Horus who was being a dick to him mostly, he made it look like the Emperor's fault though. From the fluff in HH Book 3, the Iron Warriors stepped up in intensity and got given even more hellish and destructive warzones than they had already for the last few years of the GC. Horus basically managed to give almost an entire Legion PTSD and make them break, but framed the Emperor for it. Well played, Horus, well played.

Also, I don't buy the Cabal stuff. I feel like A/O have been totally played by the Cabal. Pretty much every other portrayal of divination in the Warhammer 30k/40k background shows many, many threads of the future, with hundreds of possible outcomes, yet here there were only two? I personally reckon that the Cabal wants to destroy humankind, and basically duped the Alpha Legion and showed them only what suited them for their goals. This is especially true when looking in hindsight and knowing that the Alpha Legion taking the path they did actually led to the outcome they were supposedly trying to avoid- what if the Alpha Legion had sided with the Emperor, and Horus had been defeated thoroughly? The Cabal intended that outcome IMO.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Battle-Brother
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Out of all the Traitor Primarchs, I have 3 that I like the idea of. Perturabo, Magnus and Konrad Curze. What appeals to me is the element of tragedy that all three have in various degrees. In many respects Curze seems the most tragic, beset by visions of doom, a belief in justice but also cursed by his desire for vengeance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast