BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 40K with no more charts

One thing that everyone seems to agree on about AoS, is it's nice not having to deal with to-hit and to-wound charts.

Well why not bring that over to 40K- it's easy.

Strength 5 becomes a 3+, strength 4 becomes a 4+, strength 3 becomes a 5+, toughness 4 becomes 0, toughness 3 becomes +1, toughness 2 becomes +2, toughness 5 becomes -1, toughness 6 becomes -2, ect.

Same for BS and WS and Saves. AP just subtracts from the save roll like it used to, BS is a silly chart to have anyway, and WS would work just like the example above.

The only hitch I can think of is Instant Death, and WS would be quite different.

I'm not much of a rules guy, what do you guys think?

You'd have to change all the points values, since models that pay for (e.g.) T4 rather than T3 would be over-priced if everything wounds the same.

(AoS avoided this by not bothering with any points or balance, so I suppose you could just say 'bring as many points as you like.)

With everything on fixed roll, balance is far better than you might think. A weedy Gobbo can stick a Humie as easily as they can stick a honking great Dragon.

Something I wouldn't mind see ported over is how large beasties work. Poo load more wounds (yay!), but a loss of effectiveness as they start taking damage. I used a Thundertusk today, and it was pretty rad!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

No - as a matter of principle no. You want anything with modifiers in the game, bring back save modifiers.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

It's not the same as AoS, it's different. They're modifiers, like Denzark said.

If it's marine vs. guardsman the roll is (S4) 4+ (T3) +1= 3+

It's the exact same roll only no chart.

Dreadnaught vs. ork- (S6) 2+ (T4) 0= 2+

Guardsman vs plaguemarine- (S3) 5+ (T5) -1= 6+

The to-wound roll is the same, only it removes the chart from the picture.

>A weedy Gobbo can stick a Humie as easily as they can stick a honking great Dragon.

(S2) 6+ (T8) -4= 10+ aka never

*Any required to-wound of 1+ or less is reduced to 2+
    *Any required to-wound of 7+ is reduced to 6+
    *Any required to-wound of 8+ is impossible

--Exactly like 40K

The BS chart has always been silly, why do I have to invert on a scale of 1-7 instead of just having the number to begin with?

WS is a problem though, since it isn't linear. And of course, ID due to double strength throws a wrench into this, unless you keep the S and T number only for ID, in addition to the new modifiers...

>No - as a matter of principle no. You want anything with modifiers in the game, bring back save modifiers.

I've always preferred modifiers to charts, less to remember and get confused about in the middle of a game.

Brother-Sergeant

I can't remember the last time I actually had to look up the "to Hit" or "To Wound" chart. Pretty easy to remember it after you've played a game or two.

Brother-Captain

WH40K doesn't need anything from AoS. If they do try to do something along the same lines as happened to WHF, then I'll just stick to the last edition of 40K. I honestly hate AoS. It took everything away concerning medieval tactics in a war game that I enjoyed about Fantasy. If they try anything like that change to what I enjoy about 40K, then no way would I enjoy it. Just wouldn't.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by modelguyicmt View Post
    One thing that everyone seems to agree on about AoS, is it's nice not having to deal with to-hit and to-wound charts.

Well why not bring that over to 40K- it's easy.

Strength 5 becomes a 3+, strength 4 becomes a 4+, strength 3 becomes a 5+, toughness 4 becomes 0, toughness 3 becomes +1, toughness 2 becomes +2, toughness 5 becomes -1, toughness 6 becomes -2, ect.

Same for BS and WS and Saves. AP just subtracts from the save roll like it used to, BS is a silly chart to have anyway, and WS would work just like the example above.

The only hitch I can think of is Instant Death, and WS would be quite different.

I'm not much of a rules guy, what do you guys think?
    shooting needs to change in 40k...the mechanic that it is as easy to hit a DE raider traveling flat out at long range as it is to hit a lemun russ battle tank that has sat in one place for 3 turns is not cool, fluffy, or fun at all...

but we do not need to dumb down the game.

First-Captain

I'd be fine with them using the exact same rules as Age of Sigmar but making War Scrolls (Data Sheets) for the 40k Units.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I'd be fine with them using the exact same rules as Age of Sigmar but making War Scrolls (Data Sheets) for the 40k Units.
    Ugh.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast