BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Dice with a symbol: 1 or 6?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The symbol should replace the 1

9 19.57%
  • The symbol should replace the 6

37 80.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Battle-Brother

Can I vote for no symbols? It can get confusing when your opponent has a mixture of symbols on the 1's and 6's and scoops them up so quickly you can't see what is being rolled.
    My blog: http://standwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/
    Check it out for regular battle reports, reviews and random ramblings.

Personally, I don't like logo dice.

Also, I like pips vs. script.

*Get off my lawn!*
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    When I see that winged blood drop come up it means I've rolled a one. Well done Blood Angels, you f*****d the dog.
    *snort!*

Battle-Brother

I don't know if this is psychological or if there's some kind of science behind it, but I've found that a lot of the dice I've had custom made (from Chessex usually) tend to roll the custom side more than any other. I'm not the only one who thinks this either. A bunch of people that I play with regularly hate my logo dice. I have both dice with logos on the 1 and on the 6 side - the former for leadership, and the latter for attacking! Normally, I put them aside and stick to the translucent logo-free dice which are typically more free from inclusions and seem to roll more consistently.
    BHound1981
    https://www.facebook.com/IAWargamming

edit: my logic was dumb.
    Last edited by spiralingcadaver; 07-24-2015 at 09:40 AM.

It very much depends on the logo, if it is something like a hammer, lightning bolt or similar, I would want it on the 6 as it has some meaning related to rolling a 6. If it is a company logo or something similar that I don't have a lot of empathy with, then I want it to replace the 1.

Scout

I like the logo on the 6 for my dice. I prefer the positive connection to success when the symbols come up. The only set I own with logos on the 6 are some Battletech dice. I certainly cheer when those Battlemasters come up! I do have some GenCon dice that have "Dh'O!" for the 1, and that feels appropriate. It doesn't bother me if other people have the logo on the 1 side, as long as I know ahead of the game.

Chaplain

I still have vivid memories of playing a game and was doing horribly. The new dice I'd just bought kept coming up with the special symbols which I read as a "1" because that's how all my other dice were like that. After the game I realized the symbol was on the "6" instead. I'd been rolling a huge number of sixes but I counted them all as failures. Guess it pays to check the dice before the game. <sigh>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123