BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ColeVVatkins View Post
    All you need to know is that all skaven casters have the keywords chaos and wizards... :-P
    Well, of course, it's more I didn't bother to check which are Wizards so don't have them in my mind. The Warplock for example...

also take into account you can take models from other race's or even factions to throw into your army so you can summon every model in the game that is summonable.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Completely agree... I play with people that play for fun... In AoS I could always bring thanquol and never lose... 2d6 mortal wounds... He kills nagash in two turns... :-P I don't bring him... He feels broken...
    Um... Wasn't the point of AoS ditching rules and stuff so that people could bring whatever they wanted and not feel like it was a waste? That seems like the exact opposite issue, some stuff is so powerful that you can't bring it unless you want to feel like a jerk. Can't you just let your opponent take stuff that you think would be equally matched? Isn't that what the no-points is all about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by artisturn View Post
    In 8th I would raise Zombies galore, but now summoning can be more harmful then helpful if you raise too much. So knowing that I really have to think is the cost worth the risk.
    And there's the balance to the concern about people adding units they didn't start the game with. It can actually be detrimental to your army and cost you the game fast.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Um... Wasn't the point of AoS ditching rules and stuff so that people could bring whatever they wanted and not feel like it was a waste? That seems like the exact opposite issue, some stuff is so powerful that you can't bring it unless you want to feel like a jerk. Can't you just let your opponent take stuff that you think would be equally matched? Isn't that what the no-points is all about?
    So far I haven't had anyone survive 2d6 mortal wounds from thanquol...
    Using my phone. Sorry for errors.

So far I haven't had anyone survive 2d6 mortal wounds from thanquol...
    Okay... It's an 8" range. Cannons are 32" for Dwarfs, 40" for Empire, have two shots per turn, hit on 4+, wound on 2+, reduce Thanquol's save to 6+, and do D6 wounds per failed save. Thanquol's got 13 wounds. That's about four wounding hits from a cannon, which would be maybe 8-9 shots needed to get through. A pair of cannons would probably handle it, but four would certainly make sure of it. Considering that cannons were in the range of 100-120 points in WFB, and Thanquol was, IIRC, 675 points (somewhere in that ballpark), that seems like a fair trade-off. If you don't have artillery, use a LOT of missile weapons.

The only reason that becomes a bit of an issue is because Thanquol's side might end up being outnumbered in order to balance against him, which could see him getting a Sudden Death bonus, which doesn't make much sense. But just ignore that silly rule, because, to be blunt, it's a stupid rule.

My own Dwarf army I've been building up for AoS would be fine against him... Three cannons, an Organ gun, and a grudge thrower, might even be enough to down him in one turn. 'Course, then that might present a problem with the rest of the Skaven army not being able to deal with the artillery, and being too potent on the Dwarfs' side. But try out something like that, see if you feel that bad about him afterward.

Brother-Sergeant

Yessir... That's exactly how I would play against him... But for those non ranged armies... You have to get within range... That's when he dominates... When I said he is just wrong... Match him against any other hero... It's not fair... He hasn't lost a fight yet... Of course he would lose if nagash spent his 8 spells summoning units... :-P

But that's basically how things were before... Nagash's strength came in summoning, and I usually wouldn't use him because he's a massive points sink that has to summon units to make his points back. He still gets his value from his ability to bring in new units. Thanquol and Boneripper were absolutely brutal in the End Times books, you could crush all kinds of stuff with him.

If I took Orcs against him, I'd just throw waves of models at him. Eventually he'd fall.

Brother-Sergeant

Ya... Drown him in non hero's... Just plain 1/2 wound units... But I'm sure I would keep him surrounded by stormvermin... :-P

Sure, but then that wall of Stormvermin also makes it harder for him to get range with his attack. So it's not exactly a failsafe plan.

Brother-Sergeant

He is such a huge model... He always has line of sight... Have a wall of about 6" stormvermin... Fire off the 2d6 mortal wounds... And did I mention that op rule of 5+ invulnerable the stormvermin would have... Giving them 4+ armor and 5+ invul.. *Giggle*

- - - Updated - - -

Blessings of the Horned Rat: If Thanquol
    uses this ability, select a Skaven unit
    within 13". Until your next hero phase, roll
    a dice whenever that unit suffers a wound
    or mortal wound. Add one to the result
    if the unit has 13 or more models. On a 6
    or more, the Horned Rat saves his minion
    from harm and that wound or mortal
    wound is ignored.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast