BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are GW the best miniatures company in the world?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

67 48.20%
  • No.

72 51.80%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

PP do god awful models, such as their Colossals - big yes, detailed? Barely.

Should they also give up and go home, or do we accept that it's a matter of personal taste rather than absolute fact?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    But for people who enjoy this hobby, it's almost a renaissance.
    Yup, my undead army has minis from seven different companies in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    do we accept that it's a matter of personal taste rather than absolute fact?
    Some of us do :-)
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    PP do god awful models, such as their Colossals - big yes, detailed? Barely.

Should they also give up and go home, or do we accept that it's a matter of personal taste rather than absolute fact?
    Yeah, I'd take an Y'vahra Battlesuit over the Imperatus Colossal or that massive Khador Conquest any day. Better material, much more detailed sculpt, more pleasing aesthetic to me, and it's cheaper. The Conquest reminds me of Epic Titans, but without any added detail or improvement when scaled up.

Why spend £86 on that when you can get an Y'vahra for £72?

Yup, my undead army has minis from seven different companies in it.
    My Guard have got GW, Kromlech, Puppetswar, Raging Heroes, Victoria Minis and Maxmini in it. That said, I'm always looking for more... :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

I've seen a lot of members arguing for or against the quality of GW's minis, but the question was about the company itself.
    Personally I dislike the "heroic scale" minis, and I find the Space Marines too small for 1:56-1:48 scale that most people use for 40K games. However I do find GW the best miniatures company - otherwise they wouldn't be on the top of the world, lauging.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    That said, I'm always looking for more... :P
    That's what rogue traders and the explorator fleets are for, isn't it ;-)
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

What the heck happened here?

Is there a post that has been deleted or did we just decide to start dissing models other may or may not prefer to GW alternatives?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Head like a hole?
    Black as your soul?
    I'd rather die?
    Than give you control?
    Nice.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    Nice.
    I had no choice, fairycat having invoked the nine inch nail(s).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmon View Post
    otherwise they wouldn't be on the top of the world, lauging.
    There's not a huge amount of laughing from Lenton these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmon View Post
    However I do find GW the best miniatures company - otherwise they wouldn't be on the top of the world, lauging.
    Using that logic, McDonalds serves better food than a five star restaurant.

Personally, I feel GW is void of originality in their sculpts. All too often lately you'll find models cannibalizing models from other armies.

I can't remember the last time I looked at a GW main model and went, "wow!"

Best miniatues company nowadays? Going by sculpts I'd say Corvus Belli or Kingdom Death.

Veteran-Sergeant

Just had some fun with Heroforge.

Say what you will, but the option to design your own models is one hell of a gimmick. It's almost as expensive as buying GW clam packs, so not army-level, and I haven't actually got the model yet so I'm not certain how good it'll be, but it's a cool feature.

For buying models in bulk, such as cultists or guard, I'd suggest that Wargames Factory is a solid contender by the logic that quantity has a quality all its own. You can get stuff at 10% of GW prices, which is a huge deal when you're assembling a horde army. Individual model quality is admittedly lower, though.

Also, they have models that are solid options for IK, at a far lower price. They also have customization options for them, which is nice.

I'd rather buy GW models, but the price difference is a pretty huge deal on a budget. In the end it's all about finding the sweet spot between the two extremes.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast