BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NooBs guide to bang for your buck.

Evening all.

Just been looking at the Space Marine Devastator Sprues on the GW website, having read the thread about Gravcannons.

Not currently being a Space Marine player, I didn't realise just how many bits and odds and sods are on those three sprues. I knew about the various big guns, but not the near ludicrous pistols and hand to hand weapons.

And it got me thinking - if someone was to start out collecting an army, which boxed sets would say are essential to get the widest variety of armaments, allowing a modeller to avoid the surprisingly/disappointingly pricey mono-pose character kits etc? Are there complimentary kits out there - perhaps the five man Tactical Squad for the Devs - maybe the 10 man offers better value?

Are there some kits you just wouldn't buy - outdated example would be the Skyray and Hammerhead of yore. Both the same price, but the Skyray kit enabled you to make turrets for both, so just seemed a no-brainer, even if one version only occasionally (or indeed, in the end, never) saw combat,

I'm not going to set an arbitrary hypothetical budget, as I think that would place an unnecessary boundary to the discussion.

Right, have at it folks!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 08-12-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

I would advise people to buy Razorbacks rather than Rhinos. As far as I can remember the razorback kit makes a Rhino but with the additional sprue to make it a Razorback. It can then, via a simple rear-hatch switch be either tank.
    Cutter on the Eldar: "They'll be dead soon, why not throw them a wraithbone every now and then?"

With Orks, the Burna Boyz/Loota unit is a good one. You can't swap out between battles, but you can grab a couple of those boxes, a box of regular Ork Boyz, and then you'd have eight Burna Boyz, eight Lootas, and four Meks.

IIRC, the new Mek Gunz have multiple guns in them, so you could get 3-5 of them (depending on how many you want in a battery), then grab some Grots (one or two boxes), and some plasticard to rig up frames for the extra weapons. Yeah, it takes converting, but come on, you're playing Orks, you're converting anyway, right? (I did hesitate on listing this, because the price on the box is still outrageous, which is why they don't exactly fly off shelves.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    IIRC, the new Mek Gunz have multiple guns in them, so you could get 3-5 of them (depending on how many you want in a battery), then grab some Grots (one or two boxes), and some plasticard to rig up frames for the extra weapons. Yeah, it takes converting, but come on, you're playing Orks, you're converting anyway, right? (I did hesitate on listing this, because the price on the box is still outrageous, which is why they don't exactly fly off shelves.)
    It doesn't just take converting, it takes scratch-building a whole new chassis. All the guns are built around the same core, a sort of wobbly conical bit, which means the only bits left over from the guns you didn't build are the muzzle and the worky bit on top. And if you're that good at scratchbuilding, you didn't need to buy the box in the first place; you can just make the muzzle and the worky bit out of plasticard too.

Brother-Sergeant

With Guard I have been buying one Cadian squad and 2 of the 5 man clip fit boxes.

The Cadian Squad box comes with enough for 2 of every special (sgt, weapon, vox) so the squads can be fleshed out with the 5 man snap fit boxes

Not a huge saving (£6 or so) but as I now have 120 troops (12 squads) it does add up

Chapter-Master

Not sure what the current 'army box' has in it or if it even exists but the previous Space Wolf one was good value and allowed the easy kitbashing of grey hunters, blood claws, wolf guard, and most SW characters.

I think with a minor additon one could do almost anything in the codex that required power armour - box of bike - swift claws. box of assault marines? sky claws etc.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Space Woofs are also a decent mixer kit for Chaos Space Marines, whose main infantry kit is a bit dated now, thus lacking in variety of weapons.

Mix it up with the (in my opinion) brilliant Raptor kit for Chosen as well.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Ix View Post
    With Guard I have been buying one Cadian squad and 2 of the 5 man clip fit boxes.

The Cadian Squad box comes with enough for 2 of every special (sgt, weapon, vox) so the squads can be fleshed out with the 5 man snap fit boxes

Not a huge saving (£6 or so) but as I now have 120 troops (12 squads) it does add up
    Do you mean the Cadian Command Squad? The Standard Cadian squad only has Grenade Launcher and Flamer.

I'd also recommend browsing bitz sites for finding that extra piece or two, and kitbash your Characters. Unless you're really enamoured with a particular mini, it's normally cheaper to buy a couple of bitz and throw a leader together to represent a particular HQ or Character model.

Not to mention that learning to magnetise is well worth the effort in ease of transport and customisation. If you're buying a Baneblade, take your time with it and magnetise it, then you can have every variant, rather than just building one!
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Do you mean the Cadian Command Squad? The Standard Cadian squad only has Grenade Launcher and Flamer.
    I think his point was that from the regular box you can make 2 sergeants, 2 special weapon guys, and 2 vox guys (plus 4 lasgunners). Add two of the cheap push-fit boxes and you now have two 10-man squads for about £30 instead of £36.

In actual fact, you may be able to do a bit better still, provided you want a mix of flamers and grenade launchers (or you have spares from the command squad). If you can scrounge/bits order the parts for a third sergeant then one 'regular' box (and four of the push-fit boxes) will do for three 10-man squads.

Also, if doing IG, you should be able to make about 5-6 heavy weapon teams out of a single squad box by using spare men from the regular squads.
    Last edited by Ben_S; 08-13-2015 at 10:14 AM.

With some plastic and metal parts I was able to turn 2 Mek gun boxes into 5 Mek Guns. I could have done more but ran out of spare parts as soon as i get more scrap I'll have 8

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    With Orks, the Burna Boyz/Loota unit is a good one. You can't swap out between battles, but you can grab a couple of those boxes, a box of regular Ork Boyz, and then you'd have eight Burna Boyz, eight Lootas, and four Meks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast