BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chaplain

As to myself, 36, male, RAF officer, played for 25 years and do it because the hobby is cheaper than a mistress.

Awesome. Also, you dont gotta hide its midnight texts to you

I don't know all of their professions, because a lot of us don't really talk about work much during our gaming time. But I can provide other general info/comments.

Obviously not using names.

There's one guy who was in the Navy, but I'm not sure if he is still (and if he is, it has to be a desk job or something). He was a tournament player, brought the same mentality to the table, but the parts of his personality that irked were worked out by talking to him (mainly, he wanted to advise people on what they should do with their army, without them asking). Friendly guy, though. Had some gorgeous armies, a High Elf army that looked amazing and a Slaanesh-themed Chaos Warriors army that looked like a pastel factory exploded all over a Tron set (it's hard to describe). Sadly, his hand don't hold steady enough to paint any more, so he has to rely on someone else to do that. (And when I say "tournament player," I mean he went to out-of-state tourneys with intent to win.)

We have a Marine AmTrac engineer, friendly overall but tends to power game while denying it. (Also not someone to get drunk.)

There's one guy who is relatively young and yet retired or just between jobs with an insane severance package, he drives a car filled with board and card games that I swear are collectively worth more than the car. Constantly buys new armies to try cheeky combos. If you read Knights of the Dinner Table, he's a Brian type.

There's a kid who was annoying at first but learned his attitude turned people off and people genuinely wanted to help. He learned the hobby fast (which is good, because his mom treats the GW store as a day care), and while he might not be "amazing" (because, you know, he's only been at it a few months), he does pretty good conversions and decent paint jobs, probably will do some crazy good stuff once he's got about five years experience.

Got another guy in the Navy, big fella, quiet talker, plays for fun, and drinks like the sailor he is.

There's a guy who works at a pet clinic, fun guy, slightly insane acting (pretty much just an act, but it translates into games, i.e. during a D&D session he decided to cone-of-fire a room while my rogue was in the middle). In addition to his Chaos, he has a Dark Angels army that hates itself (Samael is always engaging in "slap fights" and he once rolled five 1's on 5D6 to save for his Deathwing Terminators against some heavy bolters).

There's a doctor, not sure what kind, who plays Eldar (Craftworld, Dark, and Harlequins), fun guy, good player, feels a bit bad because he bought the Ghost Warriors box as a way to get into 40K before he knew how good it was (much less how good it'd become).

Got a kid who just finished high school, has a job at Publix to get hobby money, was a wide receiver in high school (American football position, for those who don't know the term), kind of a strange "jock"/"nerd" mix. Slipped a bit into beat-face lists in Warhammer, but he learned a lot from the tournament player.

Have a guy who works at Lowe's, mid-20s, does very basic armies based on the fluff, but they're effective.

Another guy, works for Home Depot, mostly gets Forge World stuff (figures if you're paying premium price anyway, might as well get the really good stuff). Fun guy, twisted mind.

Another Publix employee (for now), aiming to get to college with a view toward working in the video game industry, prefers playing fluffy armies and games, one of the few who not only wants to use scenarios, but is eager to do so (or make up new ones).

That's the group at one store. At the other store, among the guys I've played against longer...

Guy with health issues who still has some decent money and owns a LOT of stuff. Massive Imperial Guard and Dark Elf armies. I'm not talking 5,000 points or something like that, likely closer to 25,000 points.

Young guy who plays Orks and has them done as Freebooterz, gets into the act with pirate speak and all. Mercifully no longer clumps his Orks up (about 15 years ago, I was teaching him as a really young kid not to position them too close together, lest someone drop battlecannons on them). Loves to convert everything.

There's another guy, convert-a-holic. Practically everything he has ends up getting modified somehow. Not the best painter, but definitely a great converter. Sold his Iron Warriors a few years ago for a nice price, I bought them because the conversions were awesome, and he gave me tips on how to repaint them, knowing I would (and not being offended by it). When people see the converted Vindicator in my army, I always make sure to tell them I did the paint job but this guy did the conversion work.

There's one guy who is, frankly, rather annoying, ends up jumping around jobs with pizza delivery, and just... grates. He earned a nickname that he didn't realize was an insult and will actually quit a game after one or two turns because it's going against him.

There's a player from just north of town, fun player, into the fluff and all. He's very stubborn and opinionated like I am, which has led to some "skirmishes" over the years (much to the amusement of onlookers), but we respect each other as players and he even sent me an invite to the local 30K Facebook group (while admitting to being worried about facing my Iron Warriors).

One player is a former store owner, now managed the local GW club (which still retains part of its original name that was based on his store). He loves to run events with unconventional rules or scenarios, meaning you can't just show up and expect to beat someone's face in and win. When he gets a chance to play himself, he's mostly interested in both parties having fun, and is the kind of guy who will actually remind you to do something while playing against you in a tourney.

One player has Imperial Fists and is seriously into them. Not just a nice sized army, he also has yellow dice, yellow shirt, IF banner, the works.

There's other people, too, but it's hard to remember or list all of them.

Generally most of the gamers are in decent shape (I am a serious exception, but I hope to rectify that soon). Many of them also dabble in multiple games. Not many people with retail jobs and stuff like that, and the ones who do have such jobs tend to live with family, so don't have much in the way of bills to pay. The group that's been around longer tends to be a lot more into narrative battles, treating the games as something done for enjoyment.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... and myself... At 33, I'm older than most of the people in the newer group, but about average for the older group. Played the games since I was about 8. My dad played in the back of a local store, and I watched and loved the games, especially Space Marine/Adeptus Titanicus. He was always wanting me to share his hobbies, so he ended up getting me an army before long, with Blood Angels right after 40K2 came out, then Orks and also Orcs for Warhammer. In addition to playing at stores, we'd set up a pair of folding tables in the living room and play games overnight while the rest of the family slept (later built an 8x4 wooden table to play on). The games provided some good social interaction and allowed me to meet new people with similar interests, and I spend about as much on gaming as I did on going out to eat and drink often when I was in a political group (with much less stressful interactions). I also enjoy painting and converting models. Love a variety of games, which might also be because of something like ADD. I'm a web designer at a major B2B company, which pays well enough to enjoy my hobbies (maybe better if I can finagle a promotion soon), and lets me do the kind of work I enjoy most.

Also, I tend to be more descriptive and talkative than other people, which means most people probably didn't reach this point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123