BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I looked at World of Warships as I am quite into World of Tanks. I spent quite some time looking at the videos etc on Youtube. It occured to me that after a while, the tactics would always be the same irrespective of map.

This is because whereas world of tanks has a 3 dimensional combat space (because of hills) - clearly by sea it is 2D. Therefore the same old thing should work - send your carrier here, rush battlehsips there - every time. Yes I understand there are islands but most ship combat involves indirect fire anyway.

Or so it looked.

Have I missed a trick here?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

the "trick" you have overlooked is that the islands aren't flat - in fact, they're often ridiculously steep and tall mountains. So they don't just impact your movement, but also lines of fire - and much more importantly, line of sight. This is what makes Destroyers so incredibly fun to play sometimes - sneaking up behind an island, waiting for the enemy to sail around said island without an inkling you're there and then pretty much going "BOOO!" with your torpedoes.
    Not having played World of Tanks, I don't see how tactics there would be more complex than in WoWS... especially since I assume the Tanks are much more maneuverable than the Ships, which adds another, extremely important layer to your decisionmaking since you can't just go into reverse on short notice, and once you've pointed your Battleship a certain way it will go that way for quite some time whether you want it to or not (same with turrets, but that applies to Tanks as well...).
    That's not meant to belittle WoT in any way whatsoever - it's just a matter of being immersed in a game to see the deeper layers of it (which with WoT I don't)
    Last edited by Tyrendian; 07-22-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Ok so initial impressions from a couple of hours last night.

You can play a more tactical game sneaking round the flanks and trying to pick off individual ships (my best is three sinkings).
    But more often than not it ends up a close range slogging match at close range, and the result depends on the enemies aim and numbers(or ship classes).

I seem to be having more success with the Japanese starter boat than the US one.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

are you against bots? I like sneaking around against an eight ship bot team, but PvP is 12 a side, map is much fuller, and often you find every ship on both sides tries to go round the edges and ends up head to head.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

I think I was against people. Everyone had a internet online type of name, and was sneaking round the edge. One of my most successful games had me sneak bang through the middle to the capture point

Having some nasty graphics bugs though as well. like a translucent mesh in the sky box and round ships occasionally.

Chapter-Master

going on your own through the middle can be fun, the downside is that with such long ranges, enemies on both edges can fire in to the middle and hit you if they are paying attention.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Having some nasty graphics bugs though as well. like a translucent mesh in the sky box and round ships occasionally.
    huh... haven't had any bad bugs myself so far, which is nice for a rather early beta... Also, things become a lot more tactical later, when a) the players are better and b) the ships do more than just have four 10km guns apiece...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

I seem to be have been fighting a lot of tier 3 things. Probably the lowest battleships, or some sort of cruisers. Plus two games with aircraft carriers in. I think it was torpedo bombers that got me the first time I saw one.

Chapter-Master

I had that problem last night with a carrier that just torpedoed and bombed me into oblivion without me firing a shot, didn't have the speed, turn circle, or AA defence to do anything about it.

So are there like training matches you can play against bots or is it straight into pvp?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast