BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Age of Sigmar background round up

How do?

So in another thread, I more or less committed to buying and reading all the various books coming out for AoS.

Purpose of this? Well, I like reading, and GW's pulpy tone suits me. But there's also the issue I've found with HH, Black Library's long running series - namely that it's really, really sprawling, and difficult to know what is really required reading, and which might be more 'Fans of that Legion only' - though of course the delineation between those two is personal taste, as it's entirely arbitrary.

So what can you expect?

In short, very, very brief synsopes on what each book, e-short or novella covers in terms of protagonists and antagonists, and how it expands (if indeed at all, I've not read them yet) the promised ongoing narrative of the Realmgate Wars (and possibly beyond - it's that much of a known unknown, to use a buzzword phrase thing)

What can you not expect?

Any kind of rating system. These aren't reviews in intent or purpose. Just a way to (hopefully easily) keep track of what's what as we go along.

Section the first - novels which form part of the ongoing narrative, presented in release order.

Age of Sigmar - Tales of the Realmgate Wars

Gates of Azyr

What's it all about?
    Tie in novella to the boxed set, detailing the arrival of the Stormcast Eternals

Who wrote it?
    Chris Wraight

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast Eternals and Khorne Bloodbound

Overall theme?
    Sets the whole scene of the new gaming universe.

Pointers to the future?
    Not all perished during the Age of Chaos. Though scattered, survivors remain. Also explores more about the Stormcast Eternals

Clear statement that as each Realmgate is secured, there are those who will follow to rebuild and repopulate.

Worth a read?
    Not particularly essential, but a decent read. Early part of the story has, in my opinion, a sort of Mad Max feel - the description of the Realm of Azyr and its survivors in particular.

War Storm - Book I

What's it all about?
    Three short stories, each focussing on the events of the first Age of Sigmar book. Set in Aqshy, Chamon and Ghyr.

Who wrote it?
    A collaborative effort this one. Borne of the Storme by Nick Kyme, Storm of Blades by Guy Haley, and The Gates of Dawn by Josh Reynolds

Who does it feature?
    Forces of Chaos. So far....Khorne Bloodbound in the first, Tzeentch in the second, Nurgle and Skaven in the third.Stormcast Eternals - focusses on three different Warrior Chambers, and starting to show the differences between each going up against

Overall theme?
    Explores the Stormcast a good deal more. Really illustrates that despite surface commonalities, these are not Space Marines. Emotions, fears etc are all present. Also, the Reforging hurts. There's a fairly graphic (but not gory) description in one of the stories (trying to avoid spoilers). Put me in mind of a hybrid between the change of Dr Manhattan in Watchmen, and the resurrection of Frank in Hellraiser (both the movie versions)... A nice trick, but definitely not one you'd want to go through on a regular basis....

Pointers to the future?
    None as such. So far, the Celestial Vindicators have sought out the Duaradin, but to no avail. I'd imagine they'll turn up soon enough though.

Worth a read?
    First two stories are pretty good. First one, being an extension of the boxed game is start to wear a little thin, but we do remain in early days. Second one is better. Third one? Easily the best of the bunch - though I am Nurglesque myself, so possibly a little biased. Ending made me chuckle!

Ghal Maraz - Book II

What's it all about?
    Follow up to War Storm. Two stories this time. First is the search for Alarielle, second the quest for Ghal Maraz.

Who wrote it?
    War in the Hidden Vale is by Josh Reynolds, and The Eldritch Fortress by Guy Haley

Who does it feature?
    A slightly wider spectrum here. As ever, Stormcast Eternals feature heavily, but the first has Sylvaneth and Alarielle doing a star turn. Though the way they are written, it could be the forces of Chaos one considers the protagonists....Glottkin, Maggoth Lords, other Nurgley peeps in the first story, Tzeentchian Warlords and a guest spot for Khul in the second.

Overall theme?
    Fleshing it all out. Much like War Storm, this book builds on the mythos of the Stormcast Eternals considerably, and Space Marines they most certainly are not. Both books succeed in injecting individual personalities to the various members of the various Warrior Chambers.

But, it's the 'bad guys' time to shine. In particular, I found Josh Reynolds depiction of the Nurgle forces to be most excellent. Again they go beyond 'blargh die in the name of my gawd' that so mars most portrayals of Chaos Followers. The bickering is ever present, but never seems pointless. The Skaven have a couple of largely cameo roles which do work.

Pointers to the future?
    The Stormcast are imperfect, and there is genuine concern amongst their ranks about constant reforging of fallen brothers. Granted we know more about Thostos than the characters, but seeds of doubt are sown. I'm interested to see if and how that is built upon.

When Realmgates are recaptured, they're reinforced fast. A decent number of non-combatants are mentioned, especially in the first story - we get a fleeting glimpse of just how grand Sigmar's plans are, and how he has ensured what is taken remains held.

Worth a read?
    Yes. Absolutely yes. A solid improvement over both Gates of Azyr and War Storm. It's difficult to my finger on exactly what it is, but it feels better anchored this time around. Maybe it's a sign of the authors gaining confidence in the new setting, maybe it's my greater familiarity with the setting. Alarielle is the standout character for me though. Josh Reynolds has a decent handle on her, and I hope to see more in the future. Same goes for The Silver Maiden - the fate of whom forms the prologue to the second story.... If you're still not convinced, see if you can find a copy to borrow - it's at least worth the effort of reading them. The two realms (Ghyran and Chamon) are starting to feel far more real now.

A lazy comparison to the development? Consider the earliest Discworld novels (Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic) compared to those where Ankh Morpork was fleshed out - less of a generic Fantasy as the creator/creative team behind the world start to find their feet, and hammer into something more unique.

Hammers of Sigmar - Book III

What's it all about?
    Continuing the tale of the Realmgate Wars within the canon. Two tales in this one - Stormcast by Darius Hinks (Hammers of Sigmar seek to wrest control of a currently Khornate Realmgate) and Scion of the Storm by C L Werner (in which the Celestant-Prime enters the fray for the first time)

Who wrote it?
    As above - Darius Hinks and C L Werner[/u]

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast Eternals (of course it does), Khorne Bloodbound (of course it does) oh, and a significant contribution from the forces of the Undead in Stormcast. Also some Tzeentchian naughtiness in Scion of the Storm

Overall theme?
    Resurrection of hope within the Mortal Realms. The Stormcast have opened up, and others are starting to stand by them....

Pointers to the Future?
    There are more survivors of the closing Age of Chaos than one might think, and they're readying themselves for war.

Worth a read?

Stormcast? Absolutely. Really enjoyed that one. Scion of the Storm struck me as more 'B-Movie' - enjoyable enough, but not as satisfying as it's preceding tale (which thankfully takes up most of the book)

The Call of Archaon - Book IV

What's it all about?
    The tale of three Champions of Chaos. Copsys Bule, Uhskar Mir and Orphaeo Zuvius seek to join the ranks of Archaon's Varanguard. As you'll see, this is no small task... Rather than a Buddy Movie, each follows their own path.

Who wrote it?
    A group effort - David Guymer, Rob Sanders, Guy Haley and David Annadale all contribute.

Who does it feature?
    Khornate, Nurglesque and Tzeentchian Warbands are the main protagonists. They take on Undead, Stormcast, Mortal Men, Ogors and Seraphon in varying measures.

Pointers to the future?
    Archaon commands the adulation of the followers of Chaos - he's shown a way you can honour the gods without being their slave. And he only wants the best and brightest in his Varanguard. Oh, and woe betide anyone who attempts to assault his fastness in the Allpoints.

Worth a read?
    Now this one I got as a part work, and I enjoyed the three interlaced tales as episodes. I've not gone back and read it as a single novel - but the tales are compelling enough, especially as the characterisation of Chaos followers goes way beyond the usual 'gribble gribble, surls for me gurd'. We learn more of the motivations of each of the champions as it goes along.

Wardens of the Everqueen - Book V

What's it all about?
    In the Realm of Ghyran, things have gone awry. In their efforts to find Alarielle, the Stormcast Eternals lead the warbands of Nurgle right to her. Swearing to protect the Everqueen, a desperate flight to safety is undertaken.

Who wrote it?
    C L Werner

Who does it feature?
    Sylvaneth, Stormcast Eternals, Skaven and Rotbringers. Oh, and Alarielle.

Pointers to the future?
    There's still powerful magic in the Realm of Life - and all is not lost so long as Alarielle endures. I'll stop there, as I'm at risk of spoilers. Oh, and it appears that at least in the Realm of Life, there's a close approximation of the Webway.....much as there once was in Athel Loren.

Worth a read?
    This is the first full length AoS story I've read as a single book (Call of Archaon was read as a part work), and the extra space allowed to Mr Werner is well used. Pacing is typically Werner (one of my favourite BL authors) and the action is easy enough to follow (especially now I'm used to the various ranks of Stormcast). Do give this a read - though I suspect most events will be touched upon in the currently forthcoming 'Balance of Power' book for the actual game.

Warbeast - Book VI

What's is all about?
    We head to the Realm of Beasts - Ghur, and gain an insight into the previous, mortal life of Lord-Celestant Arkas Warbeast

Who wrote it?
    Gav Thorpe

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast Eternals, Clans Pestilens, and a cameo of a Queen from The-World-That-Was. Kind of. Ish.

Overall theme?
    Stormcast Eternals may be loyal to Sigmar, but for some, their previous lives cast long shadows.

Pointers to the future?
    There's the clear intent that others from a The-World-That-Was have manifested in some way in the Mortal Realms. In this case, Katarin, Ice-Queen of Kislev. It's hard to explain without clear spoilers.

Worth a read?
    Far and away my favourite novel so far. And also, the longest single novel so far. There's a lot to take in, and some very interesting stuff happens. Some of it blindsided me, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's masterful twists and turns

Fury of Gork- Book VII

What's it all about?
    Sigmar's quest to reunite his former pantheon to cast out the forces of Chaos continues. This time, his Warriors seek audience with Gorkamorka/Gork/Possibly Mork.

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast Eternals (at this rate, probably quicker to highlight when they're not involved!), Ironjawz, Tzeentchian Arcanites.

Overall theme?
    Stormcast seek Gorkamorka. Tzeentchian Warlord seeks weapon of mass destruction. Ironjawz seek a pagga. Trouble ensues!

Pointers to the future?
    Sigmar is serious about reuniting his pantheon. Delegations seek Nagash (see the audio series above for how that goes), Tyrion and Teclis, Gorkamorka and Malerion. This suggests we'll get stories relating to the search for the Elven gods...

Worth a read?
    Shines a light on Sigmar and Gorkamorka's alliance, and how that might now be achieved. If that interests you? Hell. Yes. If not? Can probably skip this one without losing any plot threads otherwise typical BL fare.

Bladestorm - Book VIII

What's it all about?
    Plans for Sigmar's offensive continue apace. The Celestial Vindicators are tasked with taking and holding the Manticore Dreadhold, in the lands of Ghyr[/u]

Who wrote it?
    Matt Westbrook

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast Eternals, Ironjaws, Khorne Bloodbound, and some human mortal survivors

Overall theme?
    More of Sigmar's grand plan is explored, as is the reaction of human survivors to warriors of their God King. Plus, some info about the impact Reforging can have...

Pointers to the future?
    Reforging is a good trick, but comes at a cost - that cost varies, and for some may eventually prove too high...

Worth a read?
    Sure, I guess. You won't miss any important background here, but it's a decent enough entry

Mortarch of Night - Book IX Originally released as an 8 part audio series.

What's it all about?
    The print form of the two audio series. First half is the search for Nagash, the second the hunt for Mannfred, who true to form, has been a very naughty boy indeed.

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds helms the first half, and David Guymer the second half.

Who does it feature?
    Blimey...Stormcast, Bloodbound, Undead, Ogres, Ironjawz, couple of Gobbos, more Undead.

Overall theme?
    With his early successes, Sigmar continues to seek out those of his former pantheon, hoping to unite them once more against their common foe.

Pointers to the future?
    Sigmar's plan is most definitely working. There may also be sneaky peaks at forthcoming Ogres units (very well armoured, broad shields) The followers of Chaos are likely going to be facing an uphill struggle against the combined strength of Order, Destruction and Death!

Worth a read?
    Yes. Absolutely. Second half in particular really had me chuckling in places (such as the Ironjaws booting the doors off their own tower, rather than just open them). We again see further character injected to the Stormcast, including some that have gone semi-native. Plus, who doesn't enjoy reading about Mannfred being a phallus? Do get the book rather than the audio - it's much cheaperer!

Lord of Undeath - Book X

What's it all about?
    Sigmar continues his efforts to get Nagash on-side, this time by sending a Stormhost to aid Neferata...

Who wrote it?
    C.L. Werner

Who does it feature?
    Anvils of the Heldenhammer, Nagash, his Mortarchs, general Undead, general Chaos.

Overall theme?
    Basically, it's a book about Nagash sizing up Sigmar's new toys, and the lengths Stormcast will go to to accomplish their set mission. Various parts focus on Nagash and his plans going forward. It also explores Shyish as a Realm, which is pretty cool

Pointers to the future?
    Nagash remains Nagash - and his Mortarchs remain their (very) old selves. However, Nagash has a serious interest in just how Sigmar created his Stormcast. He sees a different take on his own magic - albeit one which magnifies the recipient, rather than diminish them in the way Necromancy does.

There's also various and sundry clearly Khemrian inspired units described, so my suspicion we'll see them in the future is increased.

Worth a read?
    Definitely, if only to see what Nagash is planning....

Part the second - side stories which provide flavour and colour, but don't form part of the 'official' narrative

The Black Rift of Klaxus

What's it all about?
    Stormcast Eternals attempt to take the Creater City of Klaxus from Khorne Bloodbound

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast, Skaven, Khorne Bloodbound

General thoughts?
    Cutting this one short, because frankly I just didn't take to it. Started it as the part work, and it took yonks between two of the episodes, so I lost interest. I've tried to read it back through in a oner, but keep getting 'meh'.

Order Battletome: Seraphon

What's it all about?
    The new Lizardmen codex and how they have changed. Approximately half and half rules and fluff.

Who wrote it?
    Unspecified.

Who does it feature?
    Seraphon very prominently, of course. Slaaneshi daemons, a combined Skaven (specifically Clan Pestilens) and Nurgle daemon teamup, and a three army allied battle with Stormcast vs Khorne Bloodbound all have feature in a several page story with accompanying scenario. Nurgle worshippers and Vampire Counts have short (several paragraph) fluff stories. Orruk, Tzeentch worshippers and Skaven have brief mentions or cameos.

Overall theme?
    Slaan remember the Old World and are determined to utterly purge Chaos and disorder from this one. There are hints they don't actually care who is left in charge as long as the new rulers are sensible and well ordered; at one point they rescue a bunch of Orruks who were about to be overrun by Skaven. The non-slaan forces have been strangely twisted by the star magic and seem to only partially exist.

Points to the future?
    Dracothion was directly involved in rescuing the Seraphon from the void. Slaanesh is most definitely missing, and hir forces are tearing about the Realms searching for hir. The Nurgle human worshippers are called 'Rotbringers'. There is quite a bit of art featuring Tzeentchian daemons, including a sorcerer that doesn't quite match existing models. According to the art, some of the Khorne Bloodbound have gone and stolen helmets from the 40k berserkers.

Worth a read?
    If you have a particular interest in Seraphon, definitely. There is a reasonable chunk of stuff for Chaos in general that might be worth borrowing to read if you're interested in them. There are hints and snippets of some realms not really introduced in the fluff yet, but nothing worth grabbing the book for if you dislike the scalies.

[url=http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-qu-re/aos-qr-collection.html]The stories from the 2015 advent are now available here[/url] for £18.99

The Unending Storm - first story in the 2015 Advent

What's it all about?
    Short story about a Khorne Lords encounters with the Stormcast Eternals

Who wrote it?
    Nick Kyme

Who does it feature?
    Squats and Slaan. No. Of course not. It's Stormcast and Bloodbound again.

Overall theme?
    Hard to say without spoilers, but if you're wondering how frustrating it must be for a Khorne worshipper to not be able to claim his foe's skull....

Pointers to the future?
    The loss incurred with each reforging of a Stormcast is seen more here. Inference is that their nobility could be lost en masse if repeatedly defeated

Worth a read?
    It's an entertaining enough 20 minute read. Not exactly essential reading, but then it is just a short story.

By The Horns - the second story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    Slaanesh! Yep. We finally have a Slaaneshi Chaos horde.

Who wrote it?
    Rob Sanders

Who does it feature?
    Slaaneshi Warband and of course, Stormcast Eternals

Overall theme?
    They seek him here, they seek him there....the celestial hide and seek for Slaanesh continues. This story shines a light on how at least one Warband is going about it.

Pointers to the future?
    Slaanesh ain't dead...and his followers seem to be enjoying seeking him out.

Worth a read?
    Yep. Definitely. It's a short short story, but worth your £1.99. As with the other Chaos short stories, I'm again impressed at how the followers of Chaos are being described. And did I mention it's the first Slaaneshi tale in AoS? Because it is.

The Gift of Khorne - the third story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    Khornate Bloodbound finally storm a City that had stood against all their previous efforts

Who wrote it?
    Guy Haley

Who does it feature?
    Khorne Bloodbound, Stormcast Eternals, and one I'll keep for 'pointers to the future' below. Mmm. Antici........................pation

Overall theme?
    You don't want to fail Khorne.....

Pointers to the future?
    Well, it seems the Mortal Realms were not quite as comprehensively ruined as we first believed. In this one, the defenders are most definitely Empire-A-Like....one description in particular? 'blocks of Pikemen, their uniforms Peacock-bright'. This is quite intriguing to me, as I had been wondering how the likes of Empire and Bretonnia might be incorporated.

Worth a read?
    Not worth the sub in itself, but £0.99 on it's todd, it's reasonable value - still an entertaining read all the same.

Daemon of the Deep - the fourth story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    An insight into how individuals can be corrupted, spreading the influence of the Gods.

Who wrote it?
    Rob Sanders

Who does it feature?
    Gonna keep schtum here, spoiler potential is to high

Overall theme?
    As per 'what's it all about?' above (not sure I need both of these categories to be honest...)

Pointers to the future?
    Sigmar has mortal Priests still....so perhaps The Empire-A-Like will retain Warrior Priests?

Worth a read?
    £2.49, you can't go wrong with this one. Enjoyable story, well enough written and a better length than the previous entry.

The Last Gift - the fifth story in the 2015 Advent

What's it all about?
    Final face off between a Tzeenchian Warlord and his Nurglesque nemesis

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds

Who does it feature?
    Nurgle and Tzeentchian Chaos Warriors

Pointers to the future?
    None

Worth a read?
    Nurgle biased again, but yes. It's shorter than a midget's mini-skirt, but such a cool story. Much like The Gift of Khorne, if bought on it's own you may feel short changed by it's paltry length, but a decent enough story nonetheless. At £0.99, you can't really go wrong.

The Prodigal - the sixth story in the 2015 Advent.

What's it all about?
    A Khornate warrior returns to destroy the city of his birth.

Who wrote it?
    David Annandale

Who does it feature?
    Khorne Bloodbound, a city of men who worship Tyrion.....and a certain war engine called a Luminark...

Pointers to the future?
    Again we're shown that some centres of civilisation still exist at the end of the Age of Chaos. And it seems the various Gods from The World That Was are not race specific in their supplicants.

Worth a read?
    Again, possibly a bit short for your £0.99, but as part of the bundle a decent enough addition.

The Crystal of Fate - the seventh story in the 2015 Advent.

What's it all about?
    Tzeentchian Warriors in Chamon seek to plunder Kairos' liar, following his banishing in an earlier story.

Who wrote it?
    Guy Haley

Who does it feature?
    Tzeentchian peeps

Pointers to the future?
    It seems Chaos has been all but driven from Chamon. Even the great drake, Argentine is torn between Order and Chaos. This is the first clear sign of just how successful Sigmar's invasion has been.

Worth a read?
    Really fun tale, and again longer than the story immediately before. Worth the £1.99 on it's own this one.

Gorechosen - the eighth story in the 2015 Advent

What's it all about?
    A Bloodbound Warband, and the true path of Khorne

Who wrote it?
    Andy Clark

Who does it feature?
    Khorne Bloodbound, and guest 'only here to get killed' Chaos Warbands of varying stripes.

Pointers to the future?
    Even in the face of Sigmar's invasion, Chaos remains Chaos, and clearly yet to form any kind of united front against the would be Usurpers.

Worth a read?
    Decent little read, worth the entry price.

The Eighth Victorty - the ninth story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    A Khorne Warlord is a single victory away from Daemonhood.

Who wrote it?
    Graeme Lyon

Who does it feature?
    Bloodbound, and Stormcast

Pointers to the future?
    None really

Worth a read?
    As part of the advent, it's a good addition. Bought on its own? Khorne Worshippers only.

Godless - the tenth story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    Slaaneshi devotees seek their absent God, in the Shadowlands of Ulgu

Who wrote it?
    David Guymer

Who does it feature?
    Slaaneshi Seekers

Pointers to the future?
    Contrary to claims, doesn't seem Slaanesh has been toned down, at all. This story goes beyond the fan-favourite 'boobs and willys' (well, I say fan. I mean those who miss the point of Slaanesh entirely). Their search for their God? It's just another game to be played...

Worth a read?
    Yes. It's nice to get some Slaaneshi action again!

The Sacrifice - the eleventh story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    Tzeentchian Sorcerer seeks eternal power in Shyish

Who wrote it?
    Graeme Lyon

Who does it feature?
    Tzeentchian Sorceror, Undead and Orruks

Pointers to the future?
    Shyish is still very much Nagash's turf. And yes. Vampires remain dicks.

Worth a read?
    It continues to undermine the extent of Chaos' victory. Definitely worth a wee read.

Lord of the Cosmic Gate - the twelfth story in the 2015 advent

What's it all about?
    Tzeentchian Mathematician attempts to reunite his orphaned realm with the mortal realms once more.....

Who wrote it?
    Gav Thorpe

Who does it feature?
    Tzeentch and Seraphon

Pointers to the future?
    Can't without spoilers - not bad for 26 pages.

Worth a read?
    Yep. If anyone enjoyed the Thanquol novels, there's a welcome return to Magic being equation based here.

Call of Chaos ebook collection - £18.99
    All the above stories from the 2015 advent. Get it. Read it. I enjoyed it.

Vengeance Eternal - Book One of Bladestorm

What's it all about?
    Stormcast Eternals unleash war on the Realm of Ghur

Who wrote it?
    Matt Westbrook

Who does it feature?
    Celestial Vindicators, Skaven and Orruks

Pointers to the future?
    The series promises to explore the price of reforging. There's an interesting juxtaposition in this between Thostos Bladestorm whom we first met in War Storm, and who retrieved Ghal Maraz, and his fellow Lord-Celestant Argellon.

Worth a read?
    It's currently free, so absolutely. And given the promise the series has made, it's a good start. I'm avoiding spoilers here of course, but feel free to shoot me a PM for more details if you can't/won't read it for yourself

Righteous Blood - Book Two of Bladestorm

What's it all about?
    The Celestial Vindicators continue their quest to take the Manticore gate.

Who wrote it?
    Matt Westbrook

Who does it feature?
    Stormcast, Bloodbound and Human Survivors

Pointers to the future?
    Argellon remains deeply concerned about Thostos. This entry spends quite a lot of time in a mortal encampment. As the ongoing stories are showing, there's more survivors than we first thought. And worship of Sigmar has inevitably altered since he closed the gates of Azyr.

Worth a read?
    I'm enjoying the authors writing, and he's a new writer for Black Library. Pretty standard £2.49 price. If you've bought the sub like I have, then I can't see you being disappointed thus far

The Manticore Dreadhold - book three of Bladestorm

What's it all about?
    Bladestorm series continues

Who wrote it?
    Matt Westbrook

Who does it feature?
    Human mortals, Stormcast Eternals, Khorne Bloodbound, and some Orcs

Pointers to the future?
    Well, Sigmar isn't a racist. We have our first confirmed person of colour Stormcast. This tale also spends a decent chunk involving the mortals doing something other than cowering in (largely understandable) awe.

Worth a read?
    Yeah. Again, would have to be part of the series, but a decent story.

Legends of the Age of Sigmar - Fyreslayer

What's it all about?
    Fyreslayers, funnily enough. Four short stories/novellas all about the Bearded Maniacs and their culture.

Who wrote it?
    David Annandale, David Annandale, David Guymer and Guy Haley

Who does it feature?
    Fyreslayers (lots and lots of Fyreslayers), Nurgle Rotbringers, Slaanesh Pleasureseekers, Tzeentchian Daemons. And a single Stormcast. Yep, just the one.

Pointers to the future?
    The various races have evolved somewhat in terms of culture, but remain ultimately recognisable.

Worth a read?
    If you're interested in Fyreslayers, absolutely. If you're generally interested in what has become of the original Warhammer World races, then a firm yes. Whilst Dwarfs face much the same issue as ever (besieged, others wanting their lucky charms etc), their position isn't as terminal. In this book it's made clear that the founding of new Lodges isn't necessarily a rarity - Dwarfs don't have it easy, but they're not masters of a shattered kingdom clinging on by sheer tenacity.

Legends of the Age of Sigmar - Sylvaneth

What's it all about?
    Ghyran is waking up....and I really wouldn't want to be anyone who isn't Sylvaneth!

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds, Robbie MacNiven, Rob Sanders and Gav Thorpe

Who does it feature?
    NO STORMCAST AT ALL!!!! Sylvaneth, Alarielle, Drycha, Rotbringers and Pestilens

Pointers to the future?
    None to be honest. Other than be very, very, very careful next time you take a whizz up a tree. In fact, don't bother doing it ever again. You never know.

Worth a read?
    Yes yes yes. Even if your not a Sylvaneth fan, all five stories (four authors, five stories. I didn't miss anyone!) are good reads - especially the last two. The final one, Outcast, really delves into Drycha and her own unique brand of insanity. Read. This. Book!

The Road of Blades

What's it all about?
    A Khornate Deathbringer seeks the Soulmaw....this is a sort-of continuation of Black Rift of Klaxus, without actually being a sequel of any kind.

Who wrote it?
    Josh Reynolds

Who does it feature?
    Bloodbound

Pointers to the future?
    Hmm. Possibly. Can't say without Spoilers.

Worth a read?
    It's pretty short - around 18 pages on my iPad. I didn't go for the advent sub this year, so paid £1.99 for the tale. The story is decent enough, but for the cost might be one to see if they include it in an anthology?

Bear Eater

What's it all about?
    About to read it. So far, it's the continuing hunt for Mannfred - and this follows on narratively from the two audio drama series.

Who wrote it?
    David Guymer

Who does it feature?
    Well, there's a Stormcast on the cover...

Pointers to the future?[/b]

Worth a read?

Pantheon

What's it all about?
    Dunno. This is just a place holder for now!

Who wrote it?
    Guy Haley

Who does it feature?
    Well, Sigmar is on the front cover?

Worth a read?
    Place holder!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 12-22-2016 at 07:24 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Looking forward to this.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Slight delay.

Needs some jiggery-pokery to get it onto my iPad....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Maybe if you were to beat with a stick.

I'm sure they sell an iStick for just such occasions.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

I've got a suitable reader on the device, but the iPad won't download the file.

Need to crank up my laptop (wherever I've put it...), download onto that, then transfer over.

Lots of faffing about, but hopefully worth it.

Librarian

That all sounds a bit convoluted. I thought iPads were iMagic and just iSucked and iBlew things up and down from the iCloud?

I've never Appled myself, but all my partner's iMates think they're the devil's biscuits.