BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Salamanders bikes

Since, in reading the codex, it seems that only two flamers can be taken per squad of bikes... is it a safe bet for Salamanders to exclusively field squads of three, to get as many flamer-bikes out as possible?
    Age of Sigmar: Chaos. Warhammer 40k: Salamanders Space Marines, Tau.

Occuli Imperator

The danger is that they are only squads of 3 so they are quite vulnerable.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Don't forget the combi-flamer on the Sergeant.

Why not get a Command Squad who can take 4 with an Apothecary to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Overmyer View Post
    Since, in reading the codex, it seems that only two flamers can be taken per squad of bikes... is it a safe bet for Salamanders to exclusively field squads of three, to get as many flamer-bikes out as possible?
    I've never been a fan of arming an entire unit with heavy/special weapons as you lose one per model.
    Always need some bullet absorption

What about some big biker squads and combat squadding them? I'm new to the Space Marines (Iron Hands for me), but I think bikers can do that right? Then the non-special weapons models can provide some cover for the flamers, and they won't have to Jink.

Why not some melta guns though, and run Vulkan He'stan? The attack-bikes would be pretty fearsome then, and you could put those in the non-flamer groups for pop'n'fry. Or are the meltas better done with drop pods, and maybe Ironclads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    The danger is that they are only squads of 3 so they are quite vulnerable.
    In fact 2 squads of 3 are less vulnerable than 1 squad of 6.

1) they can field more special weapons
    2) they are easier to hide
    3) if they come under heavy fire (lets say grav centurions for example) only 3 will die instead of 6
    4) you can grab 2 objectives instead of 1