BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I've emailed GW, and await their response.
    can I put money on a flowery, "We know nothing" response?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Okay, Mystery, pal, let's sort ya out here.

You're going to Amazon, a place not known for mini product sales, and using it to try to prove your point? Really? Did you not spot the lack of variety there? Did you also miss that AoS is $90 there, or 33% off of its retail price, meaning that it's likely that sales of it that would have gone through other venues are going through there? For people wanting to give it a try, $90 seems reasonable, especially when the Sigmarines in there would, separately, cost around $200-$220, at least (which says less about the value of the box and more about GW's ridiculous pricing. Games Workshop can't really go after Amazon and try to shut them down, much like they can't do so with eBay. So people wanting a steep discount will drive the sales up, over Amazon's small spattering of Warmachine boxes, or Reaper Bones figures that are ridiculously cheap and easy to get in your local store without needing a hefty discount to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, you really showed how popular that game was, especially at the retail price!

Warhammer would have sold fine if they hadn't removed Skirmish, kept upping the price on rulebooks and models, and pushed larger games. You constantly defend all of those ideas. Of course, in your mind, a setting with more variety, more interesting stories, all that stuff, is more to blame, and a setting with no story to it is definitely going to sell better. Right.

As for the terrain, it was wrong for them to make something that was limited and not be up front about it. That's a deceptive practice. I don't care if they're limited. It's terrain, whatever. Back before lazy people took over the hobby and bowed at the altar of GW and allowed GW to demand you only use GW terrain, people made their own terrain. I have oodles of stuff at home to make forests, hills, other goodness. One of the most popular sites in the later '90s and early '00s was Terragenesis, which had tutorials on how to make your own stuff. My preference would actually be no terrain sales from GW, or at least no special rules saying you must use "Citadel woods," and watch people get creative again. But whatever, you want your prebuilt terrain, fine. That's your choice, you're free to it. But for the sake of the people wanting it, it'd be better if GW was open and honest about the availability, so that people could make sure they had a chance to get the product(s) they want. I can understand not wanting to make too many of them, in case sales aren't good, or just to hedge their bets. But if it's limited, you let the customers know, you don't let them think it'll be available for months or years if it's not going to be available more than a week or so.

I purchased my AoS New, Sealed, mint in box for $92 from Amazon with free Shipping.

Erik, how much coffee do you drink during the average day? Seriously? Everything that should take two sentences for you to say takes a wall of text that meanders around until it kinda forgets its point then starts contradicting itself.

I don't think you understand that we don't have access to GW's figures. You also keep seeming to shout, "ANECDOTE, ANECDOTE!" You're basing your entire point on how AoS isn't doing well at your local and people are complaining about it on the internet. Newsflash! Your opinion on how AoS is doing is no more valid than Mystery's, who at least tries to find a reliable source that checks its numbers and shows them. He's showing verifiable data of the only kind we can really get, and you're just putting your fingers in your ears and ignoring it...why?

If AoS fails, it'll probably just be the death of Fantasy in its entirety. Why have you got such a hard-on for proving that AoS is a failure?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Okay, Mystery, pal, let's sort ya out here.

You're going to Amazon, a place not known for mini product sales, and using it to try to prove your point? Really? Did you not spot the lack of variety there? Did you also miss that AoS is $90 there, or 33% off of its retail price, meaning that it's likely that sales of it that would have gone through other venues are going through there? For people wanting to give it a try, $90 seems reasonable, especially when the Sigmarines in there would, separately, cost around $200-$220, at least (which says less about the value of the box and more about GW's ridiculous pricing. Games Workshop can't really go after Amazon and try to shut them down, much like they can't do so with eBay. So people wanting a steep discount will drive the sales up, over Amazon's small spattering of Warmachine boxes, or Reaper Bones figures that are ridiculously cheap and easy to get in your local store without needing a hefty discount to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, you really showed how popular that game was, especially at the retail price!
    It has sales ranking data and is an easy place to find that information, although its not a massive marketplace for the product, it puts it in to some perspective at least. He wasn't saying anything just using it as an example of one shop selling a product where it was doing well.

Warhammer would have sold fine if they hadn't removed Skirmish, kept upping the price on rulebooks and models, and pushed larger games. You constantly defend all of those ideas. Of course, in your mind, a setting with more variety, more interesting stories, all that stuff, is more to blame, and a setting with no story to it is definitely going to sell better. Right.
    This is all just conjecture. You don't know that a seperate Skirmish ruleset would have helped, and the idea that Age of Sigmar has no story is blatantly untrue.

As for the terrain, it was wrong for them to make something that was limited and not be up front about it. That's a deceptive practice. I don't care if they're limited. It's terrain, whatever. Back before lazy people took over the hobby and bowed at the altar of GW and allowed GW to demand you only use GW terrain, people made their own terrain. I have oodles of stuff at home to make forests, hills, other goodness. One of the most popular sites in the later '90s and early '00s was Terragenesis, which had tutorials on how to make your own stuff. My preference would actually be no terrain sales from GW, or at least no special rules saying you must use "Citadel woods," and watch people get creative again. But whatever, you want your prebuilt terrain, fine. That's your choice, you're free to it. But for the sake of the people wanting it, it'd be better if GW was open and honest about the availability, so that people could make sure they had a chance to get the product(s) they want. I can understand not wanting to make too many of them, in case sales aren't good, or just to hedge their bets. But if it's limited, you let the customers know, you don't let them think it'll be available for months or years if it's not going to be available more than a week or so.
    No one has ever said you have to use GW terrain only, GW started selling terrain kits because people wanted them, not all of us have the spare time to make interesting terrain as well as painting our models. GW is a company and chose to make a product to fit that need.

Selling out of a product quicker than expected is not deceptive business practise but by all means try reporting them to the Trading Standards Authority or your US equivalent and see what they have to say about it (they'll politely tell you to knob off).

You know what else we used to do before "lazy people took over the hobby"? Balance our armies based on scenarios and the game we wanted to play without relying on the crutch of points values to allow us to have a system to break and feel superior.
    Last edited by Filthy Casual; 07-24-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Chapter-Master

a bits seller is advertising Age of Sigmar terrain bits, they are definitely proper sprue pieces, not cheap plastic like the dark angels tower for example.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Having built and painted both sets, I can tell you that its the same plastic as all the latest terrain sets have been.

Got me response.

OP is seemingly misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by GW's email response
    Hello

Thank you for writing in to us! You have reached US Customer Service (I noticed the .co.uk email address), and our webstore in the US is temporarily sold out, but this is not a limited release and we are expecting more stock.

If you are in the UK, you can still place an order on the UK webstore for them as well at this writing.

Thank you and have a good day.

Games Workshop
    North America Customer Services

Please do not delete previous email threads as this will help us serve you better!

Games Workshop
    Customer Service
    6211 East Holmes Road
    Memphis, TN 38141
    Games Workshop Customer Service is open:
    Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM CST
    Contact info:
    1-800-394-4263
    [email][email protected][/email]
    Or visit us online at:
    [url]www.games-workshop.com[/url]

NEW - Warhammer The App - Link Here

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:55 AM, wrote:
    Hi

Can you tell me if these are limited release?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad

Information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential, and solely for the intended recipient(s) and may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. Unless otherwise stated you must not copy, print, distribute, or otherwise use, relay or disclose to any third party this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this email and all copies along with any attachments from your workstations, networks and systems. Games Workshop adopts anti-virus policies and best practices but in no way accepts any liability for any damage whatsoever that may be caused by any virus or similar program inadvertently transmitted by this e-mail or any attachments.
    Myth busted I'd say.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Classic GW.

Chapter-Master

would you look at that, the sky is not in fact falling...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast