BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you equip plasma pistols as a matter of course?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 29.17%
  • No.

34 70.83%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Plasma Pistols: does anyone? Honestly?

So they're one of the most iconic pieces of wargear in 40K: the apex of pistol weaponry, with a statline that humbles all, in every way they're exactly the kind of gun you want to give to your character model.

Wait, 'Gets Hot'?

And how many points?

Sod that. He can have a Bolt Pistol and be happy with that.

This is how my thought process goes every time I think: 'Hmmm. Should I maybe use one of the thousand spare plasma pistols I have in my bits box? You know, just this once?' And I never do. Never.

Does anyone?

Because honest-to-Throne, the Plasma Pistol as it stands is a useless piece of sh!t. Too short a range to get off more than one shot before assault, too many points that could be spent on giving a squad additional special weapons, and then there's that f**king 'Gets Hot' rule, that sure, isn't all that likely to kill the guy carrying the gun... But at the kind of points a Plasma Pistol costs, should it really be there?

And of course, when you're Astartes, and have access to all-conquering Grav weaponry - which does everything Plasma weapons are supposed to, only better and safer - is there ever a point taking one again?

What do we think: are they ever worth it, or do you just kind of go 'Maybe next codex' in the hopes that the next codex corrects this stupid, stupid gun?

N.B.: We're obviously not discussing Plasma Guns, on account of they still have a use, due to the increased range and extra shot. Also, they go on the expendable minions, so yeah, some utility.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 07-24-2015 at 05:32 AM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

The only funny thing I ever considered with plasma pistol was 9 Wolf Guards and a Wolf Priest in a Drop Pod. Wolf Priest has 1 pistol. The WG have 2 each with the gunslinger rule. So that's 19 shots of plasma and thanks to the WP you re-roll your '1' so much less chances of gets-hot. Of course it is a very short range punch but SO violent.

I rarely equip the plasma pistol because of the cost not because of the 'gets hot'. Too expensive for the range and number of times it will be useful.

Chapter-Master

I don't use any plasma weapons usually, I don't like killing my own troops.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Battle-Brother

Plasma talons on my black Knights are great, but I never bother with plasma pistols.
    My blog: http://standwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/
    Check it out for regular battle reports, reviews and random ramblings.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I don't use any plasma weapons usually, I don't like killing my own troops.
    *blinks*

You sure you know what game you're playing here?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I use Plasma Pistols, they look cool. For the once or twice a month I'll play, I'd rather have cool models than be super points efficient.

I model my Sergeants, Commanders and Commissars, etc with whatever looks cool, and then make sure my opponent knows what they're carrying. This is almost entirely Bolters if they're lucky, Laspistols if I'm skint on points. Plasma Pistols? They cost as much as Carapace Armour on my Veterans, some Camo Netting on my Command Tank, or a Plasma Gun on a Veteran. Why would I pay the same points for less shots and range?

It's the same problem I have as Guard with Power Weaponry, though. I'm not paying 15pts for a weapon on someone who'll probably die before they swing, but if not, they'll probably fail to Hit or Wound anyway. Only my Primaris Psykers and occasionally my Lord Commissar get a Power Axe - Force in the case of the Psykers - because the Lord Commissar is pretty cool, and the Primaris Psykers can pop Force and end a Carnifex.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    *blinks*

You sure you know what game you're playing here?
    yes.

one where I don't kill my own troops.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I'm strictly WYSIWYG, playing anything else seems wrong. Maybe Sergeant Arkelion just likes plasma pistols, he got it passed down to him as a honour from his favourite Commissar, its served the regiment for centuries and was once used by a brave Sergeant to kill a filthy heretic Traitor Space Marine, he wouldn't dream of insulting its machine spirit by using a laspistol instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yes.

one where I don't kill my own troops.
    Is this 40k we're talking about? I mean, Inquisitor Karamazov and stuff...

Jokes aside... the point cost of a Plasma Pistol at 15 is too high for what you get. Maybe if you're sure to have a way to twin-link it, or if it cost 10 points. But at 15 it's just not strong enough for how much it costs. And the Gets Hot rule on a squad Champion who may have a Power Weapon and thus is costing 50 or so points... a very weak choice to make.

They do look cool if done right, and I can certainly agree with the posters who suggest that, after all, it's only 30-60 pts (and only about 10-20 overpriced) to mix some into the army for their cool appearance. If you're min-maxing tightly, you definitely leave them out. If you're willing to drop a few points to put some cool-looking gear on, well, they're poor but not terrible. I'd put a Power Weapon on first since that's both good-looking and more effective, but I can see the point of using them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast