BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you equip plasma pistols as a matter of course?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

14 29.17%
  • No.

34 70.83%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

I take them in my assault marine squads because even if they do manage to get hot, I'm saving it on a 3+ and they're pretty useful against more than just infantry. My assault heavy Raven Guard use them all the time and I've found them to be worthwhile more times than not.
    BHound1981
    https://www.facebook.com/IAWargamming

I still don't understand why a Guard Sergeant pays the same for weapons as a Space Marine Sergeant. I can see it being a worthwhile upgrade for Space Marines, but not for Guard.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

Some of my Death Guard sergeants have them - both because they look cool, and because they at least get a FNP save.

*edit*

Er, a FNP save in addition to their armor save, that is.

Librarian

I used one pretty recently, actually. I was building a kustom Loota, and I gave him that backpack bit that has a ton of ammo and a Grot popping out the back. I gave the Grot a spare Plasma Pistol I had laying around, so he could join in the dakka.

Oh, wait, as an actual wargear option? Nope (although I guess the Kustom Mega-Slugga is my closest option, and I'd rather just take the Blasta or the Rokkit in those cases).

I use them a lot to mark out officers, sergeants and other character types. With my usual luck anyone carrying a pistol either gets jumped like a rich man in a dark alley, or I forget about 'em anyway. I mainly like them for the cool factor they add to a model.
    na na na na na... wut?

Veteran-Sergeant

Don't play imperium but will chip in with my own power-pistols:
    If you're going to be getting close and assaulting anyway they can be worth it. After all, kill one MEQ and it pays for itself, kill one TEQ and you come out on top. They're also a nice bonus vs targets of opportunity re: rear armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    Don't play imperium but will chip in with my own power-pistols:
    If you're going to be getting close and assaulting anyway they can be worth it. After all, kill one MEQ and it pays for itself, kill one TEQ and you come out on top. They're also a nice bonus vs targets of opportunity re: rear armour.
    Mmm, but there are normally better options. I think that's the problem. Why buy a Plasma Pistol when a Plasma or Melta Gun will do it better?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

I actually like putting them on my multi-wound officer types if there not a better choice available. It hits hard and ignores any armor saves. Yes there is a chance it'll get hot but that's why I use it on multi wound models. If they fail their armor save and any FNP from Apothecaries and such they just lose 1 wound.

Since my guys seldom get to fire a pistol more than once or twice I want every shot to count.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    Some of my Death Guard sergeants have them - both because they look cool, and because they at least get a FNP save.

*edit*

Er, a FNP save in addition to their armor save, that is.
    Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't you only get an armor save since a plasma pistol would double out your T3 guardsman? I play DE so it I don't deal with Gets Hot.

Overheat just deals a wound, no specific strength value, so no Instant Death or FnP prevention.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast