BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default GW Models You Don't Like

We all love the hobby or we would not be here. We also love the models. Most of them look great and a lot oif them are downright awesome. On the other hand...in a line this big there are bound to be models or components that just don't work for you. Maybe it is a particular Ork figure, perhaps a Tau weapon, or even a certain peice of Space Marine equipment. What GW model just does not quite look right on to you?

Librarian

Default My Personal Peeves

I'll get the ball rolling.

1) I like the Leman Russ, but the Battle Canon strikes me as silly. It is sophomorically big. How could a loader even lift a shell designed for that thing? I cut 'em off and scratch-build more reasonably-sized barrels.

2) Space Marine Powerfists look ok on terminators, but on regular marines they look too big and leave the model unbalanced. Battle brothers with Powerfists look like Hermit Crabs with one giant hand. The IG Powerfist is more reasonable, it looks about the same size as Hellboy's similar weapon. I love the Powerfist in combat, but hate the look so much that I don't use them.

That is my two cents.

Cant be doing with the GW HK missiles, they look like rockets from a Tom and Jerry cartoon! lol

I like the Space Marine vehicle launchers, so use them instead.

The new Lord Commisar model is good, but I hate most of the others, they are way too much.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

Space Marines on bikes: Looks like they sitting on toilets with wheels.

Eldar jetbikes: Not as bad as marine bikes, but still very undynamic pose.

For all german guys: Die Eldar Biker sehen aus, als hätten die einen Besenstiel verschluckt. Wer das übersetzen kann, bitte

All of the Eldar Phoenix Lord models.

Guardian 1: "The Great Phoenix Lord Fuegan is here to lead us to victory!"
    Guardian 2: "Wait, why's he so short?"
    Guardian 1: "I dunno, he's old."

I actually don't mind the jetbike myself; if they had a new rider model it would be a ton better-- get that broomstick out.
    Last edited by RealGenius; 08-05-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: eureka

Battle-Brother

I really don't like the Obliterators that GW makes. First of all, they are tricky to assemble, secondly, they are very expensive $$$ wise, and third, they do not look as menacing as an Obliterator should. They really need to redesign the Obliterators and rerelease them in Plastic - now that would be awesome.

Another model that is an absolute pain in the rear end is CSM Raptor. It looks pretty good - I will give it that, but the balance that the miniature has is just plain ridiculous - one touch of the table, and your raptors are on their butts right away and if you are slightly not careful, then they will be in pieces. The center of gravity of the miniature is horrible. So they also need it in plastic.

And another Chaos unit that is quite ugly and not very assembly / paint friendly - Chaos Dreadnought. Why can't GW just take a Forge World Dreadnought and copy it - I can guarantee that their Chaos Dread sales would go up. And of course, the rules for Chaos Dreads are quite strange - since with the Dreadnought instability it's a given that nobody will want to take them as their elite choice. I mean who wants to have their own army suffer casualties at the hands of a crazed Dread.

Those Chaos units would be my primary concern, but of course, that's because I am a Chaos player mainly.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Cant be doing with the GW HK missiles, they look like rockets from a Tom and Jerry cartoon! lol
    Wow. I never really thought of that but you are so right. Somebody ought to paint one red with "ACME" in white on the side.

I have never been a fan of the Ion Cannon for the Tau Hammerhead. It doesn't look like it is an intragal part of the tank design. It looks like it was added as an afterthought.

I also don't like the fact that Hormogaunts are so overbalanced that you have to add weights to the bases just to play with them. They look OK, to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    Wow. I never really thought of that but you are so right. Somebody ought to paint one red with "ACME" in white on the side.
    Cant you see the Coyote riding on top now? Meep Meep! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

I really hate the old Ork models especially the old Wartrakk drivers and gunners. It looks like old D&D pewter models with no face detail. They need to release that skorcha multi wartrakk kit soon.
    www.tankwareuropa.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast