BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Is Age of Sigmar in BETA testing?

Something struck me today, Age of Sigmar seem like it's in BETA testing phase. The rules were released for free, the game is very bare bones and is lacking a lot in the way of balance. Things like missing point costs, measuring from the model, proximity issues, and cover issues just to start are going to require an errata that is as big, if not bigger, than the currently released rules. So I can't help but ponder if this isn't a BETA version. GW has never shied away from making money, they slap their name on other people's products and add a huge markup. So the idea that GW would release rules for free is absurd, some claim 'it's a new model' but that was quickly dashed as the new supliment book is out and it's $49.99. So I wonder if GW will release a more complete version of the rules in the coming months. Any thoughts?
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

They're quite clear that Age of Sigmar will always have free rules, everything rule wise needed to play Age of Sigmar will be available for free.

Also I'd like you to reference where exactly they've slapped their name on other people's products and added a huge markup

Beyond that the people who feed us accurate rumors have said that age of sigmar has been play tested far more than any recent release (take that to mean what you will) and on top of that I would argue that 40k is even more unbalanced than age of sigmar

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Um...like paints, files, hobby knives, clippers....most of these were/are 3rd party gear with GW branding
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Paints have been made by them for a long time, they were made in China for a bit but it was GWs factory. I can't say for sure for the present but in 2002 the only thing they outsourced was printing, which I believe they still do.

I think Ravingbantha is right though, I think we'll see AoS develop over time, quite sensible really see how the market takes it and adjust accordingly. Free and short rules makes this very easy to do and add to via supplements. It is pretty much what they did with rogue trader, all be it with longer basic rules
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Because a game fills in-complete to you does not make it a beta its called a format of design what if I told you instead of all the rule being in 1 big book its spread out over 3 category's

4 page = core rules every army follows
    warscrolls = rules for each unit
    Campagin book = Rules for each mission type and rules for the realm

Since when has point values ever been a means for balance last I heard and please correct me if I am wrong the first editions of warhammer did not have point values and they added them later on if I recall to prevent spam lists or people just being a dick in general apparently the community still hasn't grown up and cant think of a way to establish games with there brains.

Measuring from a model is to prevent people gaining added distance from movement because if the model is placed you have a bubble of distance around you looking from above a model can turn on all sides within the bubble but at no point can any part of the model exceed that bubble of distance if you do it from base because combat is done by models measure the base say 5" distance but the model is overlapping ahead of the base getting into combat would give you that added distance when you charge also last I recall anything on the base when it comes to design of the base is technically part of the model too the base as in the round black thing is what there referring to as the base.

Deployment is the balance in this game not points value's you can bring your hole collection you don't have to use all the models you bring but it gives you a great option of what to deploy also you have risks deploying too much in the form of sudden deaths and who go's first also take into consideration that deployment is done in a take turn fusion to encourage you to counter the enemy model in a game of bluffing.

People need to wake up and start thinking rather then having rules play the game for you.
    Last edited by Xaric; 07-25-2015 at 02:51 AM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

The good thing for GW is that they can always say they were BETA testing later, if/when they find the new system tanking. The current situation leaves them plenty of wiggle room. In short, they would like this approach to work, but I have no doubt when it doesn't they will begrudgingly introduce more rules.

Let's look at the history of GW....

7 Editions of 40k.

4 Editions of Epic

4 (I think) Editions of Bloodbowl

9 Editions of Warhammer

2 Editions of Necromunda

3 Editions of Space Hulk.

Everything is in 'beta testing' all the time. Some are slight tweaks, other larger overhauls. I see little reason why Age of Sigmar would be any different.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by nsc View Post
    They're quite clear that Age of Sigmar will always have free rules, everything rule wise needed to play Age of Sigmar will be available for free.
    Eh... I'm not seeing the scenarios online for free. Those are rules. They also make for a much better game than just "pile up in the middle and roll dice until someone runs out of models," so they're kind of necessary. Especially if you're marketing the game on the ability to do interesting stories with the matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Eh... I'm not seeing the scenarios online for free. Those are rules. They also make for a much better game than just "pile up in the middle and roll dice until someone runs out of models," so they're kind of necessary. Especially if you're marketing the game on the ability to do interesting stories with the matches.
    Write your own.

No one ever said all the rules would be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Casual View Post
    Write your own.

No one ever said all the rules would be free.
    Except that's what was said above, in this very topic, that I was replying to.

Do try to keep up, okay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast