BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default One unit of flyers all on Skyshield?

If I've got a Sky Shield with the Ready for Takeoff upgrade, can I deploy a unit of 5 Tau Remora drones on top of it at the start of the game?
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

I don't know what the current rules for the Sky Shield are off hand, but I'd say give it a read again and see if it says; like model, models, or unit(s). If i remember right I thought it said model, meaning only one, but don't have the rules on hand right now.

Veteran-Sergeant

It does say model, but in most instances a flyer is a single model. I can't think of anything other than the Remora that is a squad of flyers.
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Veteran-Sergeant

the upgrade reads "A Skyshield Landing Pad can be upgraded to have this special rule. When deploying your army, you can deploy one of your Flyers with the Hover type on top of each of your Skyshield Landing Pads that has this upgrade, even though Flyers normally have to start the game in reserves. Flyers that deploy in this way start the game hovering and cannot Zoom in the first game turn."

Given that it says "one of your Flyers" and not one unit, I would say only 1 drone would be able to deploy, which is dumb considering sizes.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    the upgrade reads "A Skyshield Landing Pad can be upgraded to have this special rule. When deploying your army, you can deploy one of your Flyers with the Hover type on top of each of your Skyshield Landing Pads that has this upgrade, even though Flyers normally have to start the game in reserves. Flyers that deploy in this way start the game hovering and cannot Zoom in the first game turn."

Given that it says "one of your Flyers" and not one unit, I would say only 1 drone would be able to deploy, which is dumb considering sizes.
    I would agree with that reasoning, although why would the hallowed Imperial Skyshield be designed to cater to those filthy xenos flyers... Maybe Remoras need a LOT of maintenance. Tbh, I would house-rule them to be allowed personally, although would expect a Tau themed Skyshield, or at least a modified Gue'vesa one.

There are other squads of flyers- Valkyries and Vendettas can be taken in squadrons up to 3, although you can barely fit one Valkyrie on a Skyshield.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Brother-Captain

Common sense and a RAW of the rules view seems to say that if it's a single landing pad (which it is) that you can't put an entire unit of flyers on the same pad. Otherwise I'd have three Vendetta Gunships sitting there turn one.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Common sense and a RAW of the rules view seems to say that if it's a single landing pad (which it is) that you can't put an entire unit of flyers on the same pad. Otherwise I'd have three Vendetta Gunships sitting there turn one.
    Yeah, I would agree raw, and usually common sense too, but Remoras are tiny compared to most flyers:
    [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-REMORA-DRONE-STEALTH-FIGHTERS.html[/url]
    so they are a bit of an exception as far as common sense is concerned. I would allow it personally if I was playing the person, but raw it doesn't work.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I would agree with that reasoning, although why would the hallowed Imperial Skyshield be designed to cater to those filthy xenos flyers... Maybe Remoras need a LOT of maintenance. Tbh, I would house-rule them to be allowed personally, although would expect a Tau themed Skyshield, or at least a modified Gue'vesa one.

There are other squads of flyers- Valkyries and Vendettas can be taken in squadrons up to 3, although you can barely fit one Valkyrie on a Skyshield.
    It could be a captured one, a small base the Tau had recently overrun, the game your playing is just one skirmish in a larger war.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

The flyer can only hover turn 1 though. I was thinking a thunderhawk would be a good flyer to start on be skyshield. Could that fit and not crush the skyshield model?

Librarian

Since they have to start in Hover mode, you also can't deploy Flyers that can't hover.