BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    First-Captain

Doesn't matter one jot that they're part of the universe, they look like ****.

This is a problem for FFG now, they're running out of good looking ships in the main universe.

Chapter-Master

Tbh if it wasn't in X-Wing: Alliance then they probably shouldn't bother.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I can see an argument for axing Decurion-style Detachments, or limiting their use to higher point-limit tournaments, but Formations, and the various non-Decurion Detachments serve a purpose, i.e.: allowing for canonical army building. Unbound has had no competitive presence, AFAIK, so imposing that kind of limit wouldn't be that hard a sell. We already limit Superheavies and Lords of War, so those kinds of limits aren't that draconian, anyway.

It DOES matter that they were part of the universe, because the design choice isn't FFG's. They're bringing in stuff from the EU, as people want. Their own designs aren't "jumping the shark" because they aren't the ones who made the designs. If you hate the designs, fair enough, just don't blame FFG for the designs.

Not to me it doesn't.

I don't really like the aesthetic of the two aforementioned ships. Doesn't mean they're bad models, or that they should have done something else from the background. I'm only talking about my own preferences, and I feel design wise they've jumped the shark.

I'm not even pretending to have a universally approved opinion.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Will Star Wars games get a big bump? Certainly. Is it a bump that will be sustained. Almost certainly. The unprecedented price paid to purchase the rights to do the new Star Wars movies indicates that they don't just mean to make one or even a trio. They bought the Franchise and probably have 15-20 movies/television shows planned over the next twenty years. This will, without a doubt, dominate at least two generations of the age group that Games Workshop (my apologies, Warhammer) claims to target. Let's be pragmatic shall we? For those children (and their parents) who actually have an interest in such games, which system do you think will win the cash? For that matter, do some of you really think using the term "jump the shark" is a good idea when Warhammer is killing entire lines to replace them with other lines which look like dumbed down versions of other lines?

No hint of lines being replaced in Age of Sigmar? Or 40k?

And yes, because I'm talking exclusively about my own opinion on a game I greatly enjoy, yet have found the forthcoming release to be disappointing.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not to me it doesn't.

I don't really like the aesthetic of the two aforementioned ships. Doesn't mean they're bad models, or that they should have done something else from the background. I'm only talking about my own preferences, and I feel design wise they've jumped the shark.

I'm not even pretending to have a universally approved opinion.
    Okay, but if you're admitting that you know they're just using what's out there, then why are you saying FFG jumped the shark? They didn't make the design.

Actually, I think Star Wars design kind of "jumped the shark" with some of the stuff in the prequels, but eh, every sufficiently large sci-fi universe has its share of designs that inspire "WTF?" responses. Heck, the basic ship design in Star Trek never really seemed to make sense (and when they finally built a ship with a dedicated purpose and didn't decide to make it look the same as everyone else, it actually made sense, that ship being the Defiant and the class of vessels designed after it). 40K's Space Marine "flyers" are atrocious, ugly boxes that shouldn't be able to fly. I'm sure there were some in Babylon 5 that were not everyone's cup of tea, but at the moment I'm having a hard time remembering them all clearly (time and lack of caffeine do that to a person).

Similarly, I won't blame GW for the way the Goblins in the Hobbit game look, even though that's what kept me from playing them. They were working with the source material, which had hideous looking Goblins. I can understand why NLC did the Goblins that way, but I don't like them. Similarly, the rules for Elves being over the top is based on the movies and, I suppose, the books. (I have a Mirkwood Rangers force. Try playing them some time. It's insane.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    No hint of lines being replaced in Age of Sigmar?
    Actually, there's plenty of them. Didn't you read the book?

The only reason there's warscrolls for the Warhammer armies is because otherwise they'd only have two small factions for AoS, and you're not going to do well with a game that's that limited (especially with all that remaining stock). In the long run, though, expect all the Elves to be replaced, as well as all the Humans, and probably most of the Dwarfs, Orcs, and Goblins. Especially as they renamed so many races to try to copyright them, so they certainly won't want armies that other companies can make models for (and there's some nice models out there as stand-ins for those armies). As they get the AoS races done, they'll drop the Warhammer armies.

I thought that was kind of blatant with the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    They bought the Franchise and probably have 15-20 movies/television shows planned over the next twenty years.
    They didn't just buy the franchise, they bought the whole company. Which means a possible return of Indiana Jones once they find an appropriate replacement (I'd vote for Chris Platt).

So far, there's already confirmation of Episodes 7-9, plus an Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone, a standalone called Rogue One, and at least one standalone (possibly two) based around Han Solo and Boba Fett. They've got Rebels going strong, and are looking at producing others.

Look at what Disney did with Marvel... and that started as a comics line, not cinema. They've got a bunch of movies lined up, but also several television series. You can do similar with Star Wars, especially if you start delving into the past, or even just base it around different characters and units.

I'm not aware of an actual official communication about that. So far they've pushed hard that "you can still use the models you own!" Which, I suppose, will be true until they change the core rules, though it's similarly true that you can still use Dogs of War or Kislev in WFB 8th edition.

If they admitted that lines would be replaced, that might cause people not to buy some of the current models (similar to how sales of anything Warhammer started drying up even mid-End Times when the rumors got stronger about the replacement game). So it's in their best interests not to outright say that they're going to do it.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-31-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Yeah, I might disagree with him, but I try not to assume people are being purposely misleading or anything. People can miss stuff, even when it's spelled out pretty explicitly (see the annual report for a great example of that). If someone gets combative when they're clearly not right, then, yeah, it can be annoying and a little bit of grouchiness seeps out. But in this case I think it's just missing some clues and trying to be optimistic, not malicious intent.

EDIT: This was in response to a post calling a comment about Mr. Mystery unnecessary. That post seems to have gone missing, so now my post doesn't make as much sense... Actually, the original comment that one was replying to is also gone. And now it seems really weird.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast