BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    You aren't talking to yourself. I think you made your points clearly. I've always said that the rules have to be as good as the models. Only a portion (and I'd argue a smaller portion) of the fan base collect the models purely for the models. A significant portion play the game because the hobby is actually war gaming. Good rules work for both fluffy and competitive players. Idiotic, random rules work, at best, for the fluffy types but not for anyone else. I'd argue, as you said yourself, that even many fluffy types would like to see the game be fair and work. In that that light, it is literally insane (and bad business) to intentionally work toward eliminating a large percentage of your consumers. It all but ensures that those who do want good rules will migrate to other games. In Bizarro World ( [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_World[/url] ) it might make some sense to eliminate customers (cutting the dead weight from the customer base) rather than trying to grow them, but in our world it is just moronic.

There is simply no logical reason not to cater to as wide a consumer base as possible. Perhaps they believe they are the gaming geek version of the Soup **** from Seinfeld. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" Sad to say, that doesn't work because they don't have the gamer version of good soup. It looks good but tastes like dirty water.
    Theres a very logical reason not to cater to all. Who wants cynical impossible to please customers? I turn away undesirables, I have no doubt GW would cut out people too if they could.

First-Captain

Anyone who works in a retail environment that allows its customers to "hang out" in that environment will recognise the toxic nature of a certain type of customer and why they're bad for business.

People who can't fathom it are usually the type of customer that is undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Anyone who works in a retail environment that allows its customers to "hang out" in that environment will recognise the toxic nature of a certain type of customer and why they're bad for business.

People who can't fathom it are usually the type of customer that is undesirable.
    Yes, let's move on to the next level of scapegoating. Games Workshop (and its apologists and shills) never take any responsibility for their dropping sales. There is a whole rogues gallery of villains behind the dropping numbers. Bad managers, exchange rate, the economy (even though other game lines are growing) red tape, too many employees, and so on... into infinity. Having run out of other BS reasons, they have come to the ultimate villain, the evil mastermind behind the plot. It isn't GW's own poor management or bad rules behind their dropping sales, it is the dreaded Veteran, i.e. the single most dreaded monster in creation. This vile fiend whose love for the game and expectation that it maintain or improve is a poison which must be stopped. This belief that to increase sales to the dreaded Veteran would require actually providing improvements which would make him/her want to buy more is heresy. Once those Veterans have spent their starter money they must be purged! They breed like rats. How DARE they.

First-Captain

I wish people would look up what the word shill means before throwing it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I wish people would look up what the word shill means before throwing it around.
    Hey man... I thought you were ignoring me. We know exactly what Shill means. But if anyone doesn't, this is a decent write up: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill[/url] *I suspect most of us know exactly who the Shills hereabouts are too.

Chaplain

Hey man... I thought you were ignoring me. We know exactly what Shill means. But if anyone doesn't, this is a decent write up: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill[/url] *I suspect most of us know exactly who the Shills hereabouts are too.
    lol yer a piece of work

Chapter-Master

Bad managers, exchange rate, the economy (even though other game lines are growing)
    I'd like to perform a like for like comparison with these other companies. Please let me know which miniature and rules producing company, with their own IP and are public (floated on a stock exchange), we are talking about?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Anecdote Plc?

Baseless Assumption Corporation?

I know FFG now publish since the takeover.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I think any effort to rebalance 7th is going to require a massive amount of codex rewriting, because that is where the imbalances in the system arise. There's a clear disinterest in the idea of cross-Codex synergy, let alone any interest in anticipating and engineering answers to various game problems (codices lacking serious anti-air, anti-assault, anti-armor, or anti-vehicle options, anticipating/curtailing inevitable Codex Creep, etc). While I look forward to a liquidation of most of 7th's bloated rules set, I still hold out hope that what may come will remain markedly different from AoS. I want them to respect each faction's tactical biases —play distinctively— but I don't want a single faction to be useless against any particular foe. And I don't want to feel compelled to buy factions I have no interest in.

First-Captain

AoS does this very well with Keywords and Synergies and how units work together. There is a lot more to it than people assume from glancing at the rules. Its got depth, maneuvering is completely different but still very important.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast