BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    They're not making losses, if I recall sales were down but profits were up. That is still not a loss...
    Quite right, and Toofast references that,
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    He was saying losses, me I could care less, I just play the game
    An eminently sensible outlook good Sir.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    An eminently sensible outlook good Sir.
    I would ask you to tell my wife that, but she wouldn't believe you anyways

edit: I mean about me being sensible in some way. as always, terrible at getting point across, and jokes are always funnier when u explain them right? lol
    Last edited by Alaric; 07-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Everyone will be getting stuff like it. It takes time and its just a game so chill out, if you don't want your opponent using it, ask them not to.
    Just like everyone was being balance to the new design philosophy in early 7th right? Or late 6th? Or early 6th?

Path.....a little self awareness
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Da...A little less dickishness. Wow you guys go hard at proving your interwebz superiority. And in answer to your unasked question: Idc who yer a dick to. Ima call u on it from here on if I see it. You dont get to be like this Cuz u got keyboard courage. You cant abide stupid. I cant abide arseholes.

Chapter-Master

Alaric im being short yes. But after years of seeing the same posters continuosly claiming that GW is going to maintain a design philosophy through an entire cycle is just irritating. In particular when all experience would argue the complete opposite.

EDIT: As to the topic at hand, I wouldnt play it, but I kinda saw something like this potentially happening when 6th dropped, Id continue playing 6th through to 7.5th edition with my gaming group, I have all the rules for it and we got things working ok between ourselves so would just stay there. would be cheaper for the lot of us and get us out of the rat race
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-29-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

For myself it felt like they tried to turn it into a gotdamn vidya game. If I wanted to play a gotdamn vidya game Id play a gotdamn vidya game. Just felt very pigeonholed for character development, the magic weapons WERE vidya game statistics pretty much. I gave it a fair try, a year, but when I asked the group what system to stick with it was a resounding 3.5.

Our group tried 4th as well and it felt the same way. Thank God for Pathfinder keeping the good fight going.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Sutek View Post
    Our group tried 4th as well and it felt the same way. Thank God for Pathfinder keeping the good fight going.
    5th is really nice

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    While GW's financial statements are a public record, as they are a publicly traded company, where are records for the privately held other wargaming firms?
    Do we really need them to make a fairly educated guess? If the entire sector was in the same kind of decline as GW, we'd be seeing competitors drop out of the market at a notable rate - there's no way these small companies could soak that kind of loss. Besides that, by almost every publicly-observable metric, GW's competition is thriving. Corvus Belli's newest Infinity starter's pre-orders alone outstripped their full product lifecycle predictions by something like 30%. FFG's X-Wing has been released and clearly exploded in popularity during a period of strict decline in GW sales. Hell, Gripping Beast has managed to gain a foothold in the overall miniatures gaming community with Viking-era historical rules. This is not a shrinking market.

How has it begun to fail? Its doin very well in most areas...Im guessing this is your personal speculation as well. No evidence to support that claim.
    That's fair enough, as it is my opinion, bias if you will, that 40k has begun to fail. No real evidence, but let me explain my thinking. It is my view that Warhammer ultimately failed because GW pushed the game and power curve so that the game just required too many models to play a basic game. The requirements to start up a basic army just grew too large, requiring an initial investment that simply priced beginning players out. It has been my experience that this view is widely held and even agreed to by the general fanbase. GW then escalated it further by adding huge monsters, super powerful magic and then the crazy, stupid power game that was the End Times culmination. It is my contention that such escalation leads only to ruin for the game system, as you can never put the genie back in the bottle once it is loose. Eventually it all collapses and you need to wipe the slate clean and start over. I contend that GW knew this, put the capper on it all with the End Times to say goodbye and ... Wallah! AoS.

I believe this same process is currently in progress with 40k. While 7th edition in fine, indeed, my favorite edition to date, it has been steadily pushed down this escalation path ever since its release. Formations, in my view, while initially cloaked in providing incentive to play unwanted units, have recently become nothing more than ways to play bigger battles by providing free units. You play 2,000 points, but get 500 points in free vehicles, so you are really playing 2,500 points. Oh, and since you get all these free vehicles, you're gonna need to buy the models... There are other examples, such as Daemon summoning. Personally, I love it, as it's fluffy and I'm a big Chaos guy. But with perspective, I must admit that it is also a push to make games bigger and get us to buy more models (Ha! Didn't work on me, I already had 2,000 points of daemons... Okay, who am I trying to fool, I still bought another 2,000 points.). Speaking for myself, I was in denial, and simply refused to believe it. The recent Space Marine codex, however, has pulled the blindfold from my eyes. And now I see ruin for the 40k I love fast approaching. I read the words of GW's CEO and I know his plan. And I don't like it.

Having said all that, I still enjoy 7th. It's great, and I can even enjoy my Thousand Sons as long as my opponent doesn't embrace the elements of ruin I've laid out above. Sadly, in simple pick up games, too often they do.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast