BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default When does the game end?

In the rules it says destroyed OR no models left on the table... So is the game over as soon as I do 100% casualties?
    Example... We each bring 50 models... You have summoning and I do not... I kill 50 models but you still have 50 left thanks to summoning. I have destroyed 100% of your force but you still have models on the table. Is it up to the non summoner to keep track of casualties?
    Or... Is the game not over and the summoner always wins?
    Using my phone. Sorry for errors.

Well, remember that you can have reinforcements, that are off the field of battle (either because you chose to, or the scenario has them). So either you completely destroy the opposing army, or you just destroy the parts of the army that are on the battlefield.

Heck, in some scenarios it sounds like the enemy just keep bringing back their dead, so it'd be impossible to destroy the opposing army, but you could still wipe out all the models they have on the table at a certain time (assuming they've been a bit unlucky bringing guys back).

So basically, either play until someone has no models on the table, or until the scenario's objectives are fulfilled, or you get bored or run out of time. That's when the game ends.

Brother-Sergeant

That's kinda what I'm asking... So I can never beat an army that summons... I can't wipe them off the table... If I started to they would just summon another unit... That's why they wrote in the rules about casualties...

First-Captain

Well, after you've played enough, you'd call an end to the game, then you'd compare starting army size to casualties and see who wins a Minor Victory

The usual victory condition is met when "one side [is] able to claim victory because it has destroyed its foe or there are no enemy models on the field of battle". It may look strange to have these two alternatives, given that they sound similar, but remember your opponent could have troops held back in certain conditions (like burrowing under the ground). In that case, you can't kill them, but you've still won if you leave him with no models left on the table.

If he summons new units during the game, you need to kill them too. There's nothing that says stop at 100% casualties. Given summoning, you can inflict over 100% casualties (because it's calculated as a percentage of his starting army size).

Quote Originally Posted by ColeVVatkins View Post
    That's kinda what I'm asking... So I can never beat an army that summons... I can't wipe them off the table... If I started to they would just summon another unit...
    Yes, you can. You can stop them summoning (unbind spells, kill wizard, etc) and/or kill them faster than they can summon.

If the game has to finish before either army is wiped out, e.g. due to a time limit, then you compare casualties for a minor victory.

I'd argue that once you destroy 100% of your opponents starting number of models, you could call the game on the grounds of destroyed foe an roll off with your opponent to see if the game ends when they don't agree. Once you win the roll off you'll win with a minor victory. Most wizards can only summon a couple units per turn, but if those units are additional summoners, you'll never keep up with the tide. I read the rule as 2 two things as its written " destroyed its foe OR there are no enemy models left." As opposed to destroyed 'by' removing all models. It's written as two separate things. Reading the two seperate things as one (can only be 'destroyed' if all models are removed) mostly cripples any army without summoning vs someone with summoning. Not to mention it completely removes any tactics in regards to forethought on what you would be willing to summon during the game. If what you summon counts towards casualties in the race to kill 100% of the starting number of models (it does) then you have to actually think about what you'll bring and when you'll bring it as opposed to just "everything right now and more next turn". At least, that's my 'in a nut shell' take on it currently. I run Lizardmen... Seraphon and it'd be waaay to easy to cause all kinds of madness if I wanted...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post

Yes, you can. You can stop them summoning (unbind spells, kill wizard, etc) and/or kill them faster than they can summon.

If the game has to finish before either army is wiped out, e.g. due to a time limit, then you compare casualties for a minor victory.

You can't stop a caster that doesn't want to be stopped... Aka boards edges... Stay max range to get off summons. .

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Well, after you've played enough, you'd call an end to the game, then you'd compare starting army size to casualties and see who wins a Minor Victory
    Does everyone get a medal as well? And we can all hold hands and sing kumbaya round the fire? Stay up late, swapping manly stories? And in the morning, IM MAKING WAFFLES
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Veteran-Sergeant

Blue Waffles?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Brenlak View Post
    Blue Waffles?
    oh dear, now someones going to google that.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast