BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Question - what is the optimum Sternguard load-out?

I am currently adding in some sternguard as allies to my Space Wolves. The main reason was to access Grav, and go for a 10 man squad with maximum combi-grav and grav guns.

A friend has told me it is 'standard' to go half grav, half melta and then combat squad to match different threats.

I have sufficient anti-tank, it was grav I wanted.

Am I missing a trick, is half grav half melta more efficient?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Gravguns are a bit crack against Tanks, especially when you can only fire them once, so having the potency of some melta makes a certain kind of sense.

But if you've got anti-tank coming out your ears, just go with Grav.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I believe the old reliable was to chuck a minimum-size squad in a Drop Pod, with as much melta as you could afford, and then use them as suicide troops against a big vehicle. And by "old reliable" I mean received internet wisdom when they were introduced two Codexes ago ....

Brother-Captain

Really, it depends on the armies you most often play against.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

If you plan on getting close, have the points, and don't care about Special Ammo or being charged, Gun-sling Grav. If all you want is to Alpha Strike, then Combi-grav and your choice of CCWs. If you want more replay and longer range, Grav-cannon, Grav-pistols, and CCWs.

I use my sternguard as a counter punch. I take two drop pods: one with a dev centurions with grav, one with sternguard (both taking Iron Hands chapter tactics.)

The centurions drop first, looking to take out whatever best suits their attacks- usually wraith knights, necron command, thunderwolves, etc. I drop them first because they are a bit sturdier than the sternguard and will be a serious problem for my opponent to deal with.

The sternguard drop second to react to my opponent's moves; which is often in support of of the centurions. I take 5, with a gravgun and meltagun. The special ammo is usually good enough to take out other models, but a melta helps shoot some vehicles, the grav helps take out some heavy armored troops.

I found that 10 sternguard, loaded out was too expensive and didn't have enough ability to stay alive. I haven't tried them with Imperial Fists chapter tactics though, but I would consider it if I added an HQ with stormshield to help protect them.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Really, it depends on the armies you most often play against.
    Yes! Optimal is really against one army. Grav and Metas are les soptimal that flamers versus hordes.

But anyway.

I don't like to diversify my squads. Each squad needs a purpose and every point you spend on something else is a point that isn't being spent on that purpose. As you say you have meltas elsewhere in the army so just tool them up for that, though probably consider if you want to spend/waste any points on special issue ammo. I would suggest probably not since you can't fire those lovely combo gravs and special issue on the same turn so is it worth it? Or if you want to fire the special issue then why go combi in the first place.

Either way I digress,
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Yes! Optimal is really against one army. Grav and Metas are les soptimal that flamers versus hordes.

But anyway.

I don't like to diversify my squads. Each squad needs a purpose and every point you spend on something else is a point that isn't being spent on that purpose. As you say you have meltas elsewhere in the army so just tool them up for that, though probably consider if you want to spend/waste any points on special issue ammo. I would suggest probably not since you can't fire those lovely combo gravs and special issue on the same turn so is it worth it? Or if you want to fire the special issue then why go combi in the first place.

Either way I digress,
    This is a very good point. The whole (initial) reasoning is as follows:

Choice of weapon:

1. I have a right doom on with MCs, and GCs in particular. In most of my lists I find them hard to deal with.

2. Whilst the 2+ poison special ammo is OK for MCs (more than OK) against GCs, it drops to 6s.

3. Grav don't care about high toughness.

Choice of unit

1. Sternguard are the unit that closest represents Deathwatch due to special ammo. As Deathwatch, all squad members can come from the Space Wolves chapter - to fit in with the primary detachment.

2. The Sternguard can combat squad at full strength, giving tactical flexibility.

3. I have a spare deathwatch conversion kit and loads of SW sprues...

4. I don't think Centurions are as fluffy as SW don't have them - although I acknowledge Grav cannons may be more efficacious.

But the massive costs highlighted above by cactus give me pause for thought.

Thanks for all the replys.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Occuli Imperator

Legion combi weapons £14.50?
    [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/LEGION_COMBI-WEAPONS.html[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni