BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I'd say Balance has very little/nothing to do with the complexity of a core rule set. Balance, in the competitive sense, is about the relative power levels of factions within a system. For example despite very simple rules chess wouldn't be very balanced if white pawns could move an extra square.

Of course as a bit of a counterpoint may be that is the "complexity" of AoS right there, the rules are simple but the real depth is creating equally enjoyable scenarios for both players (because, being a fun experience for both players is the real balance). The game is coming from a company that prides itself on "forging the narative" would that really be a surprise.

It's all well and good drawing comparisons to computer games but remember WoW and others are fixed systems you can only play the way Blizzard or whomever lets you play. Wargames are not fixed the rules are only guidelines you can actually alter them however you like. It's very telling that all Tournaments come with an extra set of rules for play, I believe the PP one weighs in at 14 pages at the moment.

In fact I think this ties in with the Infinty example which has complex rules but rather simple army list mechanics. So tricky to learn but easy to balance which is good for more serious/competitive gamers. AoS is very easy to learn but more complex to balance so not so good for the competitive crowd but rather good for gamers who just want to play, younger player for examples who in the early years of their time (in Wargaming) won't even have a concept of "balance" in the competitive sense.
    Last edited by grimmas; 08-05-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Less conflicting rules less restrictions equal more freedom on how you play the game rules like points restrict a number of units because you wish to be point efficient less rules such as a force org means you can deploy a full flushed out themed army that stands a chance vs. dare I say it power gamers and also the key point here finding out who's the wolf amongst us the guy who is a bad sport when he brings models that are just there to ruin the enjoyment for everyone I am not talking about those who bring nagash I am talking about those who bring 2 nagash lol
    Last edited by Xaric; 08-05-2015 at 02:08 AM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

First-Captain

Thats the idea I like about this, people will always break the game and take powerful combinations or units and be more likely to win a game, in Age of Sigmar though, you can do that but at least you can't try and pretend you're being fair.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I'd love to see you lot actually try to deal with someone doing that in your store in a way that didnt involve you chucking a tantrum just because you got beat. Because in real life the dangerous imbalance isnt the double nagash kind its more subtle than that.

I can see it now
    Player A brings his awesome lovingly painted army, creams you with it, and suddenly the chairs are flying the table is flipped and its not your fault, your the narrative gamer after all. Nor is it GWs fault, they after all are writing a narrative game.

No, its the WAAC doshnozel you just played's fault for playing the game with the army he choose, and I bet you he doesnt even LIKE that army, hes just trying to be THAT GUY and hes such and ******* and should be socially shunned. Because he hasnt taken into account your fun and hasnt jumped through hoops backwards to ensure he changes HIS gameplay so it matches YOUR perception of fun.

seriously I'd put money on that being a rough approximation of the situation.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I make out that they're run by morons because they're called Games Workshop and are desperately trying to avoid making games. When they get back to remembering they're a games workshop, maybe the games will tighten back up, and they'll remember kids are a good way to get new customers and keep them on, so will get back to making some products that are "kid-friendly" (if not snap-fit models, at least ones that are simpler to assemble).
    Seriously.

Just because a company sticks to a historical name for historical and branding purposes, does not make them morons.

MacDonalds probably isn't owned by a Mr or Mrs Macdonald anymore (if it is I bet I can find a blue chip company named after founders who no longer own it).

Virgin doesn't flog virgins. Its staff are not virgin, its services are not new and exclusive enough to be called virgin.

Apple doesn't sell apples etc.

There are a thousand and one examples of businesses whose name doesn't reflect their business.

Not reflecting your business output with your name is not moronic. It may be for any one of many reasons all perfectly non-moronic.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Privateer Press don't in fact offer flattened Privateers in some kind of collected volume.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Using the historical reason for being called Games Workshop (incorrectly, they were called that before they ever made their own games anyway) and then saying that a move back towards more casual less tight rules is bad is so jarring. Age of Sigmar has more in common with early Warhammer than anything late 90s onwards, its a better modern reimagining of 3rd edition WFB than anything else we've had in years.

So, its essentially saying they need to remember their roots and forget them at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Spartan, until this month, didn't sell any miniature Spartans.

While it might not seem it when you try and read the rulebook, games of Infinity do actually end.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Spartan, until this month, didn't sell any miniature Spartans.

While it might not seem it when you try and read the rulebook, games of Infinity do actually end.
    lol
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

And as far as I'm aware, Corvus Belli have little to do with crow based warfare.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    And as far as I'm aware, Corvus Belli have little to do with crow based warfare.
    it is their major failing as a company
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast