BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The core infinity rules are actually extremely simple. You could fit the "essence" of infinity on about 2-3 pages, and statlines are much more simple than 40k. There are just a massive number of options, accessory rules, campaign rules, etc (which, yes, could be thinned out a bit). It's better to learn from an experienced player, they can teach you 90% of the game in about 5-10 minutes.
    This is basically how it seemed to me.

I just can't face that disgusting rulebook, and, like I say, the people who could show me have conflicting work schedules to mine.

And it sounds like such a great game...
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post

I just can't face that disgusting rulebook, and, like I say, the people who could show me have conflicting work schedules to mine.

It took me a while to get my head around Infinity, the layout is a pig but I really like it. Unfortunately, it's such a ballache that none of my friends can be bothered to learn. We're all really fired up about 2 games right now, Age of Sigmar and Frostgrave, both are rules LGBT and have tons of potential as campaign games.
    Does that make them lesser games? Depends what you define a game as but to me, no. I love a cool mechanic and Infinity has them in buckets but honestly, it's a bit like RT to me. Loads of cool ideas for mechanics but too many that means they don't gel together as a cohesive and intuitive whole

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

The layout of the rulebook makes complete sense once you comprehend how the game is designed.

EVERYTHING your troops can do is its own self contained action or "Order" even movement.

As such the book is divided into Common skills, which anyone can do, and in alphabetical order for ease of reference

Special Skills, which require the troop in question to have the associated rule in their profile, Again, alphabetical

Equipment, same as above only you need to appropriate piece of technology to use the skill.

Then you have the weapons, command tokens, the states your trooper can be in and the hacking programs again each of these sections is organized alphabetically.

finally at the back you get the index and the quick reference guide.

hardly what I'd call complicated rules layout.

Lets run with an example. Want to know how to use Aerial Deployment?

Find the Associated rule under the Special rules (its right at the start with the whole A thing)
    Look at the LvL your trooper has and read the rule.

THATS IT

EDIT: OH, and it does all this with well thought out examples for all possible resolutions of the rule in question to make it easy for people
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-02-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Enjoyable read York.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    honestly I never understood the idea that Warhammer is complicated. I learned it at 12, and taught my brother when he was seven. Infinity has a lot going on, but it is actually quite straight forward, the rules are there to simulate realistic methods/responses and do so very elegantly in my opinion.

Still, that is by the by.

It is true that simple is not bad, I quite enjoy a short, fast game too.
    It's not complicated, it's convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post

The easiest way to learn Infinity is to watch some of the game tutorial videos on Youtube. Operation Icestorm also has some really great 'learning scenarios' that walk you slowly up to more complex games.

Individual units are really simple, there's just a potential for a lot of customization.

EDIT: These are a bit old but pretty much accurate.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNe1P6jLLLE[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaT-pu5Ro68[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaT-pu5Ro68[/url]

The game really doesn't get too much more complicated than this unless you delve into Hacking heavily. You really only have to keep track of the rules for the models you're playing with, which CB makes pretty easy to do because you can assemble and print out a list with all the relevant stuff using the Army Builder that's on their website.

Most units really aren't more complicated than keeping track of the stats and range on their weapons, the model's stat profile, any special rules on that profile and what they do, what cover does, and where you're aiming their Line of Sight (so you can remember to activate them for reaction orders). Beyond that, understanding the basic mechanics of how the stats interact and what sort of dice rolls you're looking at, there isn't much to know. Once you're familiar with your army list, it's rare to need to refer to the rulebook for anything.
    Last edited by vonDietdrich; 08-03-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by vonDietdrich View Post
    The easiest way to learn Infinity is to watch some of the game tutorial videos on Youtube. Operation Icestorm also has some really great 'learning scenarios' that walk you slowly up to more complex games.

Individual units are really simple, there's just a potential for a lot of customization.
    Id say "combination" over customization, there is no picking and choosing each item of equopment as you would expect in a GW game, but the way you pick the units themselves means they should work together as a whole force much more dynamically than most 40k armies
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-03-2015 at 12:56 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Id say "combination" over customization, there is no picking and choosing as you would expect in a GW game, but the way you pick the units themselves means they should work together as a whole force much more dynamically than most 40k armies
    I enjoy Infinity's list-building. It's elegant and challenging with a wide variety of different options. As far as 'safe' recommendations, having some armor-piercing bullets and a MSV (for people who don't play Infinity: multispectral visor, it lets you counter camouflaged models) is pretty much all that's "mandatory" for 200+ point games, and even that's negotiable depending on your list.

That being said, there is a great degree of customization in the sense that there are typically multiple equipment loadouts and sometimes even different special rules for many models. Each profile is itself simple, however.
    Last edited by vonDietdrich; 08-03-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Librarian

Funny.

Nice dreadnought.

If you think Infinity is complex, you've clearly never encountered the naval-simulator-disguised-as-trek-fandom that is Star Fleet Battles.

Glorious.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by vonDietdrich View Post
    I enjoy Infinity's list-building. It's elegant and challenging with a wide variety of different options. As far as 'safe' recommendations, having some armor-piercing bullets and a MSV (for people who don't play Infinity: multispectral visor, it lets you counter camouflaged models) is pretty much all that's "mandatory" for 200+ point games, and even that's negotiable depending on your list.

That being said, there is a great degree of customization in the sense that there are typically multiple equipment loadouts and sometimes even different special rules for many models. Each profile is itself simple, however.
    yup, I just meant you cant for example say, I want a Hacking device and Multi rifle on my fatherknight, no to get hte HD you sacrifice the MR for a regular combi rifle.

Another point worth noting is that 230 or so page tome York was tearing up about......that and a few paged of PDFs (all available online as both downloads and an easy to search wiki) That is all the rules, for EVERY SINGLE FACTION AND UNIT IN THE GAME.

How many books is 40k at now? 24? give or take? PLUS the BRB? each one with its own special snowflake iteration of the same rule because GW cant get its **** together?

Sure york, INFINITY is the game with the convoluted rules, whatever you say man
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-03-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast