BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Yep.

Plus, further thoughts on the purse string theory (lol, I did that myself. Aren't I clevers!)....

Some Kids TV remains pretty dire - such as the hideously over-acted Disney fare....now, parent sits down with kid....enjoys Show A and B, cannot stand C, D or E - kid seems to enjoy all five....

Parent then buys tie ins to A and B, in the hope they can persuade kid to only watch those....moar munneh!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

If I have kids, the kind of "kids shows" I'll subject them to include things like Doctor Who.

First-Captain

Doctor Who is a kids show, well done.

Do Americans think Doctor Who is supposed to be serious hard sci fi?

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Doctor Who is a kids show, well done.

Do Americans think Doctor Who is supposed to be serious hard sci fi?
    Tumblr does, at least. They roll it together with Sherlock and Supernatural, at least, despite it not being nearly as adult as the previous two. Then again, the only reason I see them as adult is because one is bloody and has sex, and the other is something I've never watched but assume has violence and bloody scenes, not to mention psychological stuff.

Doctor Who had some excellent stuff in it during the Tennant era IMO, looking into what it is to be human, but it's all a bit basic and shallow, really. Not hard sci-fi, but if people enjoy it and take something from it, then well, who am I to judge?

Hell, I'm currently filling out equipment testing spreadsheets while listening to Babymetal.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

Wasn't dissing the show in any way, I've watched the Doctor since I was a lad, I was gutted when Paul McGann didn't stay on and do more TV stuff as the Doctor, as he was a friend of the family and that would have been cool as heck.

Still, it has always been a kids show, doesn't detract from it in any way, it's just another example of adult nerds claiming kids things as their own. Which, given the premise of the original post, is right on theme.

Brother-Captain

Supernatural is definitely not kids fare, it manages to park itself very firmly in the horror genre at times, even ignoring the laundry list of adult themes involved.

I'm not sure I'd count the modern Doctor Who as kids fare either though. The older series was firmly in the family territory but from what I've seen of the new show they're no longer alluding to a lot of the more mature stuff, they're aiming at it head on (and occasionally rubbing the audience's face in it in a 'ooh aren't we clever' way. Why yes, I DO prefer the original series...) It's still 'popcorn' television though; sort of like the scifi equivalent of an action movie.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

First-Captain

Its still a family show (broadcast at prime time for family viewing), its gotten more complex and less subtle but that's a reaction to the changing attitudes of the younger audience than the show being for a mature audience, the end goal is that its a show kids like like and can watch with their parents, that's always been the aim.

Brother-Captain

There were plenty of adult themes in the old Doctor Who, Tom Baker agonising other the implications of committing the genocide of the Daleks springs to mind. Still that was the point it was meant for all the family so it possessed many levels. I suspect to stop parents getting too bored. The same goes for lots of stuff, the Simpsons, Shrek, how to Train your Dragon and Disney's Hercules are some of my favourites. Doesn't stop them being directed at children. "For children" and childish are very much not the same thing.

I remember then GW made games for adults and it wasn't anything like as much fun as when they realised us Kids (then) were the ones buying Rogue Trader in large amounts and started changing their focus. Of course there was a point during the Red period when it all became a bit childish and things started going wrong but they sorted that out.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Sweet mercy, The Red Period.

Thank Glob that's all over and done with. I don't care what anyone says, that was GW's lowest point...
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Red...Period? I wasn't around for...whatever that was.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast