BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Age of Sigmar: Clear Coat?

Do you all clear coat your Age of Sigmar miniatures after painting them to protect the paint finish from rubbing off due to handling?

Banned

A matte varnish is usually a good idea. I personally haven't done a varnish coat on my minis, I find that if it's undercoated, the paint usually sticks quite well to the plastic and it's only chipping from models being dropped etc. that causes any issues. That said, I don't play as often as I'd like, so my minis don't get handled all that often.
    If you're playing lots, I'd recommend a matte varnish. I think Tamiya do a good one. You could use a gloss varnish, but that will leave your models all shiny, which most people don't want that sort of finish.

Librarian

My favorite finish would be to use a matt varnish before you finish the metal on the minis, so that the top metallic colors come out super bright.

But in any case, I would definitely have a finish over them.

www.GardenNinja.com

Absolutely recommend you varnish your minis!

I think the overwhelming norm is to use a mat varnish. But I think for my Stormcast Eternals I will try out gloss.

I "paint" my varnish with a brush to prevent a buildup of yuck (by spraying) when it pools.