BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Space Crusade recreation project Updated with Black Legion

When I first started miniatures gaming, my first game was the classic Space Crusade. That game will forever have warm feelings from me.

However, I soon started converting minis from the set, and using their bits in other conversions and I found that I really wanted to play Space Crusade, but didn't have any of the parts that I'd need.

So I went to my "bits box"- which is quite extensive these days, with parts catalogued- and found that I could pull a full Space Crusade force out of it.

For painting, I've decided to create tributes to forces that I've painted in the past- some for clients, others for myself. None of them will match those forces too closely, as I'll be creating a new take on them.

Here's the first squad I finished: Salamanders

I painted up my first unit as Salamanders as a tribute to the Salamanders forces I painted over the years (they'll be 'counts as' Imperial Fists for the most part). This version of the Salamanders doesn't quite match any of the other color schemes for Sallies that I've done, and it was nice to have a slightly new take on them.

PS- I've posted them to CMON for [url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/384093]anyone who cares to vote.[/url]
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 09-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

Nice work! Your shading and subtle battle damage is fantastic!

Scout

Wow! the OSL on that heavy bolter marine is awesome! Excellent work on all of them.

Librarian

Thanks.

Because this is a Space Crusade set, the Heavy Bolter guy is actually the commander (he starts out as a sergeant, and can work his way up to captain).

Space Crusade had some odd armaments that definitely didn't translate into 40k (like that power armored guy with the assault cannon).

www.GardenNinja.com

Nice! I really like you flesh tones for the Sallys.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    Space Crusade had some odd armaments that definitely didn't translate into 40k (like that power armored guy with the assault cannon).
    True... Up until Forge World introduced the [url=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Space_Marine_Legion_Army_List/Legion_Troops/Legion_Tactical_Support_Squad/LEGION_ROTOR_CANNON_SET.html]Rotor Cannon[/url], which looks awesome, but is basically a faster shooting lasgun.

Yeah, missed opportunity, rules-wise.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Brother-Captain

Ohh I love the idea of this, to make a Space Crusade set using custom 40k figures. Very cool. I'm a bit miffed that you chose to replace the Imperial Fists mind, but I cannot fault the lovely Sallie's you've replaced them with... still wish you'd replaced the Smurfs though. Gotta say I'm tempted to do this project myself.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Occuli Imperator

I always like viewing your minis odinsgrandson
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    Ohh I love the idea of this, to make a Space Crusade set using custom 40k figures. Very cool. I'm a bit miffed that you chose to replace the Imperial Fists mind, but I cannot fault the lovely Sallie's you've replaced them with... still wish you'd replaced the Smurfs though. Gotta say I'm tempted to do this project myself.
    Don't worry about the Ultramarines- they're definitely being replaced as well. I'm not going with any of the three chapters that SC uses (except when I'm playing using the WD terminator rules- I'll be using my Space Hulk Blood Angels for that).

www.GardenNinja.com

Librarian

And here are the Gretchin.

I had considered quite a few options for my Gretchin- I have quite a few goblins from various companies I could easily convert. I also have some of the older plastic gretchin minis- but I felt that the pose was too standard.

In the end, I decided to take old metal Snotlings, and arm them with missile weapons. I really fell that this works for their lowly status.

Here they are:

www.GardenNinja.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast