BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

Default GW Cost Cutting, Store Hours and More Changes to GW North America

There's a lot of stuff flying around right now about upcoming changes to GW North America store operations. In the interest of stemming a possible tide of misconceptions I decided to share the bit of information shown below. I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of GW operations in my area and all of this information comes from information being shared by GW. None of this is secret and all of it is imminent, so you'll be seeing these changes within days or weeks in some of your local GW North America stores.

As might be expected since the departure of Ernie Baker and the installment of Tom Kirby as head of GW US, more changes are in the works besides those announced already like the HQ move. Supposedly some positive and fun things are on the horizon, though details have not been revealed as yet. However, more cost cuts are being made too. As of one week from now many GW US stores will have their operating hours cut to 35 hours per week. If anyone out there has confirmation of further changes, please list them below.

For example, one of the local GW shops in Maryland is going to these hours in about a week:
    Mon., Tues.: closed (no change from current)
    Wed., Thurs., Fri.: 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM
    Saturday: noon to 8:00 PM
    Sunday: noon to 6:00 PM (no change from current)

This represents a cut of 8 operating hours from the current schedule. There is also a forthcoming change to one person per shop for stores that are able to cut their hours short enough to make it feasible. Closing in the middle of the day for 45 minutes for lunch when only one person is running a GW shop is something I've already seen done at times and it is already being done in some shops around the world, so that may also become a common new reality.

Some of you may be asking why certain stores are cutting their hours to 35 per week while others are not. It is my understanding that this is largely a function of lease agreements with the shopping centers in which the GW stores are located. If the landlord and the lease are flexible enough to allow for the cut in hours then it will happen while shopping centers that require their tenants to operate on longer hours will maintain the hours required of them.

Update, 3/9:
    As others have reported on various hobby forums, single employees that run stores solo will be referred to as store "operators". I'll add that managers will still be managers where needed. Store profitability will affect operator bonuses, so those stores that do very well have the potential to pay off well for their operators. As always, if you like your local shop and staff, support your local shop.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-09-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chaplain

Woah, the guys in the US don't do any work. I live in the UK and my local's hours are;
    Mon-10am-6pm
    Tue-10am-6pm
    Wed-10am-10pm
    Thu-10am-6pm
    Fri-10am-6pm
    Sat-10am-6pm
    Sun-11am-7pm

Chaplain

its over here too. my nearest closes on a tuesday for the whole day, and does a few half days. its only one guy bless him. its a lot of work for one guy to do every thing
    you have been deemed guilty of blasphemy against the holy emperor, for this crime your punishment shall be to clean his shoes.

I am cynicle here because of cost cuttings. I can't freaking the freaking greed of the corporations. They don't even pay the employees much money as it is, it is either minimum wage or just barley above it. Now to fire people and have one person running the store is just cheapness on GW part.

I can see this happening now, espcially where GW stores are not in the main shopping malls but strip malls or out of the way stores. I can see either robberies, or swarmings in these stores. GW is starting to put their employees at risk now just to save a few bucks, and this is sickening. Only one person running a store? WTF! I just hope nobody gets hurt over this.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    I know that GW Torquay runs some very funny hours, I used to collect thier cash......
    Aldramelech enters stage left, wearing a spotted handkerchief around his nose, and waving a revolver best described as a hand-cannon.

Aldramelech: Give me all the money, you f****** c*** suckers!
    (Sorry I like the Usual Suspects too much...)
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Their weekday schedules are so strange to me. I would think it'd make more sense to open later and run later so that people can fit in a game after work. But, I guess if they opened much later they wouldn't be able to catch kids right after school? And game space isn't their primary function?
    http://www.rocketshipgames.com/blogs/tjkopena/

Fly Lord

The big thing this tells me is the smarter FLGS locations (especially ones with floorspace) can just take the entire hobby community and put it in their pockets. Hours that limited and a single employee really preclude any real gaming or large clubs being centered on GW stores. (especially for working folks).
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Twice a week for two years, you'd think they'd learn..........
    As they say here in sunny Northampton... never trust a dwarf.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast