BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Height advantage

I've been playing a lot of 'XCOM: Enemy Within' recently, and aside from making me really reeeaaally want a 40K-themed XCOM game, it got me thinking.

One of the mechanics I personally really like is height advantage - that is, if you're higher than your target, you get bonuses to hit. I think this would be a nice little addition to 40K. Say +1 BS if you're one 'level' above the target (i.e.: on a hill, on the first level of a building) +2 BS if you're two 'levels' above, up to a maximum of +3. It would require players to agree how high each 'level' on the battlefield was prior to the game's start, but that's no different to anything else scenery-wise.

What do people think? Other than that a 40K-themed XCOM game would be the greatest game ever made. Which it would be.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

well XCOM 2 is supposed to get extreme modding support, so I highly doubt a 40k mod will be long in coming.

a buff to BS from height advantage is waaaay to powerful on armies like Guard or Orks that rely on bad odds to balance out their ridiculous amount of shots - or it can be downright meaningless if you're, say, an Eldar Aspect force that has BS5 naturally. So that's not a very good option in my opinion. An alternative that actually makes a lot more sense as well (being higher up doesn't magically make you the ultimate sniper after all) would be a modification to cover saves based on height - but I'd still make it just -1 to cover for a seriously significant amount of difference (say two stories of an average building).
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Why not just bring back 2nd edition "to hit modifiers"?

Chapter-Master

Yorkie - a couple of things. Firstly I have seen in other threads that you do not like save modifiers - but you would go for this - what's the difference?

Next, why a modifier to BS? To my knowledge firing from on high doesn't make the shot easier. Actually the bullet may go further - but that's sniper stuff where you are aiming so high above your target you can't see him in the sight picture - it doesn't transfer well to the close range firefights of 40K.

Finally, I always had it in my head that one edition - maybe RT and/or 2ed - gave a modifier in close combat if you were higher up than your opponent. I can get with that as assaulting uphill is a biatch and it reflects some reality.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    I'd still make it just -1 to cover for a seriously significant amount of difference (say two stories of an average building).
    Ooooooh, that's a much better idea. Nice!
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I've been playing a lot of 'XCOM: Enemy Within' recently, and aside from making me really reeeaaally want a 40K-themed XCOM game, it got me thinking.

One of the mechanics I personally really like is height advantage - that is, if you're higher than your target, you get bonuses to hit. I think this would be a nice little addition to 40K. Say +1 BS if you're one 'level' above the target (i.e.: on a hill, on the first level of a building) +2 BS if you're two 'levels' above, up to a maximum of +3. It would require players to agree how high each 'level' on the battlefield was prior to the game's start, but that's no different to anything else scenery-wise.

What do people think? Other than that a 40K-themed XCOM game would be the greatest game ever made. Which it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Why not just bring back 2nd edition "to hit modifiers"?
    That was my thought when I read that.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Ooooooh, that's a much better idea. Nice!
    I'd just make shots from higherer up than wot you are gain Pinning.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Finally, I always had it in my head that one edition - maybe RT and/or 2ed - gave a modifier in close combat if you were higher up than your opponent. I can get with that as assaulting uphill is a biatch and it reflects some reality.
    I remember something like that too. I don't remember if it was in 2nd edition or fantasy.

In both.
    40k gave you +1 WS, fantasy gave you +1 combat resolution.

I thought the idea was that your target is less likely to get a Cover Save due to intervening Cover if you're higher up and thus can see over it?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast