BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Trend evidence. Please. Don't make me ask for a fourth time.

Also - biggest player in it's market, still in profit, still expanding it's number of stores. That's....that's not sounding incompetent to me. Particularly as their sales grew in the US last year, and this year there's a lot of decent computer game titles coming out to raise their profile (Warhammer Total War, Vermintide - both of which are getting positive media attention).

So. Counting this as a continuation of the third asking - evidence please to support this trend you claim to have spotted.

Look around? We should have another financial report too. [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro[/url]

Right. Fourth and final time of asking - evidence please to support your assertion that a lack of online chit-chat proves a game has bombed.

Ready when you are.

Any second.

Any second now.

Also, if you could pop back to my point about 'well, without points restrictions, how much is there actually to talk about in the first place?', that'd be great.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Right. Fourth and final time of asking - evidence please to support your assertion that a lack of online chit-chat proves a game has bombed.

Ready when you are.

Any second.

Any second now.

Also, if you could pop back to my point about 'well, without points restrictions, how much is there actually to talk about in the first place?', that'd be great.

Can I scientifically prove it? No. If nothing you are seeing has any affect on you whatsoever... there is literally nothing I could point at that would convince you otherwise. I expect when things are unmistakable you will start saying that GW was brilliant and killed by internet Trolls. This will be my final video comment on it:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7tun-ePIY[/url]

You'll have to forgive my approach.

You see, I'm a dispute mediator by trade. And that means I like to see evidence, so I can weigh up the claims.

It would have been much quicker for you to just say 'I reckon that....', rather than suggest you had any kind of hard data to back up your seemingly baseless assumption.

Now then. My point about 'well, without points, how much is there to actuall discuss'. If you please.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

And how much is there to discuss?

If you enjoy the game, you're busy playing it. Without points, many topics of conversation are unnecessary. Consider other games. You have a finite points value to meet, so many conversations revolve around how to make the best use of them.
    What about combos? AOS thrives on the "synergies" (God, I want to vomit just typing that word...) between characters and units, and already there are discussions on other forums about said combos. This site? Nope. This site is not prolific with AOS at all. Any talk about older WFB systems has been chased off, I would guess this is what "self moderation" does. I see an attempt of the same thing on Warseer, except there isn't a move to make the WFB section solely an AOS section like it is here.

Also, I think/feel/whatever (Just so you don't ask me to scientifically quantify) that if GW actually ran a forum on its own site like it did in years past, like the other gaming companies do, then we could have a definitive metric of traffic vs. traffic. Also, there is a vast difference between a company that was quantifiably at the top of the market and companies that are rising from the floor up. If they are even close to meeting in the middle, then you have a very clear picture of the state of the gaming market, and a distinct idea of the success/failure of AOS and GW as a whole. If there is a wide gap, then I will concur that fearmongering is the soup du jour. However, discussion with shops in my area paint a picture that makes me confident in my non-concurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tony View Post
    What about combos? AOS thrives on the "synergies" (God, I want to vomit just typing that word...) between characters and units, and already there are discussions on other forums about said combos. This site? Nope. This site is not prolific with AOS at all. Any talk about older WFB systems has been chased off, I would guess this is what "self moderation" does. I see an attempt of the same thing on Warseer, except there isn't a move to make the WFB section solely an AOS section like it is here.

Also, I think/feel/whatever (Just so you don't ask me to scientifically quantify) that if GW actually ran a forum on its own site like it did in years past, like the other gaming companies do, then we could have a definitive metric of traffic vs. traffic. Also, there is a vast difference between a company that was quantifiably at the top of the market and companies that are rising from the floor up. If they are even close to meeting in the middle, then you have a very clear picture of the state of the gaming market, and a distinct idea of the success/failure of AOS and GW as a whole. If there is a wide gap, then I will concur that fearmongering is the soup du jour. However, discussion with shops in my area paint a picture that makes me confident in my non-concurrence.
    There's plenty synergy in AoS, but without a fixed points limit or method of army selection (FoC etc), then any given player can field any given combo with relative freedom.

BoLS has had a very quiet Warhammer section since I first joined in June 2012. Why? I dunno. There was a concerted effort by a few of us from the Oubliette to spark more conversations, but it didn't work out as we hoped.

As for Classichammer....yeah, that's just Path being Path. Start some threads, and tell Path to bog off, reporting his posts as necessary.

Trouble with comparing various gaming companies, is that only two currently publish their results. GW, and FFG's parent company Asmodeé Éditions.

FFG's parent company does primarily board games - with a chunk of that being licensed, French language versions of other games. At their heart they're not in the same niche as GW - so any direct comparison is kind of flawed.

But we do know GW's results - every six months. Past couple of years have been ropey, but we can see they remain in profit, carry no debt, and they continue to expand their retail division - close stores that aren't working out, open new ones elsewhere. That's not a company in dire straits at all.

When the usual commentators break out their doom'n'gloom bells, it's always GW looked at in isolation. No thought is given to the wider high street and other trends. Nope. All down to management incompetence and GW being EVILBAD.

Is everything completely rosey? Nope. Are they on an irreversible downward slide? Seemingly not.

Brother-Captain

Just (to throw annecdotal evidence around) i'm part of a thriving 1600 member AOS facebook group, and my local store has a large and growing AOS group.
    So yes, to pull an MRA on you "Not All Gamers" treat Age of Sigmar badly.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Can I scientifically prove it? No. If nothing you are seeing has any affect on you whatsoever... there is literally nothing I could point at that would convince you otherwise. I expect when things are unmistakable you will start saying that GW was brilliant and killed by internet Trolls. This will be my final video comment on it:
    You did say that you could prove it by saying you had evidence.