BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sounds cool - the typical hazmat design lends itself well to 6mm, removes some fiddly joints from the equation (neck in particular), lends itself well to ease of painting (basecoat, highlight/wash, detail face window, weapon, maaaaybe backpack/boots/gloves).

Agree that thoughts/progress on the human faction is a secondary goal - the gribbly monsters of Lovecraftian fame are the big draw to the setting, the same way the 40kverse largely exists to support Space Marines.

Looking forward to seeing the Cthonian - going for the massive, gribbly sandworm look? Despite liking the idea of humans being restricted to a minority of the factions, the idea of a Dune-esque Cthonian rider is intriguing to me :P

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Sounds cool - the typical hazmat design lends itself well to 6mm, removes some fiddly joints from the equation (neck in particular), lends itself well to ease of painting (basecoat, highlight/wash, detail face window, weapon, maaaaybe backpack/boots/gloves).

Agree that thoughts/progress on the human faction is a secondary goal - the gribbly monsters of Lovecraftian fame are the big draw to the setting, the same way the 40kverse largely exists to support Space Marines.

Looking forward to seeing the Cthonian - going for the massive, gribbly sandworm look? Despite liking the idea of humans being restricted to a minority of the factions, the idea of a Dune-esque Cthonian rider is intriguing to me :P
    I've always loved the look of hazmat suits and it doesn't seem to be used in SF wargames at all Iv'e seen - it's either bulky power armour or the infinity/high-tech style with lots of surves and futuristic lines or more "realistic" contemporary based military gear and of course I have to be Mr Different, so why not high-tech hazmat suits. If they are going to other planets, they'd need environmental suits anyway so from that point of view it makes sense too.

Dr who's Fendahleen (which are basicly Chthonian ripoffs anyway) is what I went for with the basic Chthonian :

The sculpt I've done so far is about 10mm and would represent the most numerous Chthonian or "Larva" stage ones. The oldest ones "the ancients" would be the largest ones and make up their "titans". The ancients would be the dune-esque ones you are thinking of yeah.

Also, I think I am more open to other sculptors and them adidng their own ideas to this project (if it takes off), I guess cos it's because I have PA to be a control freak "my way or the highway" with. Hell, I think I'd even possibly let someone do a cthulhu faction and I f**king hate Cthulhu.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Also, I think I am more open to other sculptors and them adidng their own ideas to this project (if it takes off), I guess cos it's because I have PA to be a control freak "my way or the highway" with. Hell, I think I'd even possibly let someone do a cthulhu faction and I f**king hate Cthulhu.
    Heh, I think Lovecraft would've liked hearing that, considering how happily he encouraged people to share his mythos.

Cthulhu does suffer from his less intriguing design (fat dragon + octopus) and the way he's become such a common punchline, but there's some good stuff - I'm liking the increased trend of Sauron-y partial manifestations.

World of Warcraft and Transformers: Infestation, respectively. His lore's heavy focus on awakening could make his introduction a fun "event".

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I think he is the most unlovecraftian mythos creature ironically. He suits a Kaiju giant monster setting far more IMO, and would be awesome in that context! but as an edlritch horror? the true mascot of the mythos should be Nyarlathotep objectively I think. It is the messenger of the outer gods so it has more excuse to get around and it has more variety of forms (which are more interesting, mostly)

An open end 6mm wargame could be interesting in many ways, and yeah I don't own the mythos - no one does, so if someone wanted to sculpt 6mm deep ones and a giant cthulhu, then more power to them!
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Depending on what models you end up with and how many, for the eldritch faction you may need to give them some distinguishing feature to make roles. Sort of "oh, so the ones with horns are troop movers" or "a cluster of spaded tentacles means a HQ" or however works for your ideas. Just... something that makes it a little easier to tell which is which at arm's length. At the moment I'm having trouble telling Dominators and Invaders apart.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

The Dominators are larger than the Invaders, so it should look fine when they are all painted up and on bases. I plan to put 20 models on a base for the invaders and about half that number for Dominators so I think it should work out.

Hmm. I wonder how readable the size difference would be at this scale? If a typical army could include 100s of small scale troops, a 2mm size difference might not be that readable. The fact they'd be mounted on different sizes of base with different numbers of models would help, but usually better to err on the side of more distinguishing features, I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12