BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Good starting army?

Hey all. I've been playing 40k for a couple of years now, and have been toying with the idea of getting into WoTR to swith things up a little. Any suggestions for a solid start to an army that won't bust my piggy bank?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Rafe_131; 08-05-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Walrus Lord

Gondor is a pretty good starting army, they have all the basic troops in plastic and can build a very flexible force, with some allies from the Forgotten Kingdoms list they can do just about anything and have a good choice of heroes, with a lot of options for expansion (fiefdoms, Arnor, etc) when you feel like it.

For sheer cheepness Elves will be best they have a good selection of plastics and are the most expensive army point wise, so the fewest models, but I think they are not as good a choice for beginners.

If you are looking at an Evil army I would suggest Fallen Realms, lots of good plastics and a solid army, also Mumkas, how do you beat that?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    If you are looking at an Evil army I would suggest Fallen Realms, lots of good plastics and a solid army, also Mumkas, how do you beat that?
    There is no better in my opinion. They have a good portion of plastics, relatively inexpensive compared to other forces (except like Elves) and they got some really nice units. I swear by The Fallen Realms of Man.

Brother-Sergeant

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards a Gondor/Arnor army for their flexibility....and they seem like an easy army to pick up on. (rules, abilities, etc.)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rafe_131 View Post
    Cool. Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards a Gondor/Arnor army for their flexibility....and they seem like an easy army to pick up on. (rules, abilities, etc.)
    Yea they are easy to pick up on, but when you want to get some of their more elite units you will find yourself spending a lot because of all the metal in the elite portion of their range.

Go for it though!

Walrus Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Knight Of Rhun View Post
    Yea they are easy to pick up on, but when you want to get some of their more elite units you will find yourself spending a lot because of all the metal in the elite portion of their range.

Go for it though!
    Its not much different for any of the other armies right now to be fair.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    Its not much different for any of the other armies right now to be fair.
    True but the Fallen Realms have the most elite common plastic formations do you not agree?

Librarian

True but the Fallen Realms have the most elite common plastic formations do you not agree?
    True but Dol Amroth Knights are beautiful (if scarily expensive) models
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cryl View Post
    True but Dol Amroth Knights are beautiful (if scarily expensive) models
    Yea, but they are metal. One of the main points of that previous discussion.

Walrus Lord

Actually it would seem to me that Fallen Realms just have the least elite units period. They don't really have legendary formations or any real uber units, other then say half-trolls, and maybe Morgul Knights? Both of which are metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast