BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default So...do White Scars have devastator squads now or what?

Was thinking about making up a Space Marine Crusading force of different chapters, and was gonna add a Skyhammer Annihilation Force - since I've never done any White Scars, I was thinking about painting 'em up as everybody's favorite Space Mongols...

But old fluff (circa 3rd?) says the 'Scars don't have Devastator squads and eschew infantry-served heavy weapons in general (I guess they were considered "sporting" if they were on Attack Bikes, eh?)

The new codex (and recent "Hunt for Voldorius" novel) features White Scar Devastator squads, so I guess it's been ret-conned away. Still - would any of y'all turn up your nose if I showed up across the table from you with White Scars Assault Squads and White Scars Devastator Squads?

Please be frank - I'm not gonna get my feelings hurt, and I'd rather find out now than after I paint all that white power armor!

Brother-Captain

Pretty much all fluff (minus that Throne-awful Hunt for Voldorius book) have them not using Devastator squads. The heavy weapons are too bulky and are too slow for the method of warfare used by the White Scars. So yeah, if you're going fluffy for fluff purposes then probaby don't do it. If you want to just make something new, paint scheme, etc, then go for it. No one will bat too much of an eye at it.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

Welp, that's pretty much what I needed to know. I like to keep my forces "fluffy," so I might have to look to another chapter. Thanks!

I don't care if you have White Scars with Heavy Weapons, go nuts!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Well apparently they don't use Devastators as has been mentioned form the old Index Astartes information, as slow moving heavy weapons are not their thing. However, they are also described as being mainly a Codex Chapter, which would suggest they do have Devastators. As Bubonicus said, they probably use Attack bikes and Land Speeders to provide the same heavy firepower, but I would not be surprised at all if the Chapter was capable of deploying Devastators if the need arose. If they did, I would expect them to be deployed in a manner that gave them as much mobility as possible, such as in a Rhino, and the Skyhammer force would be a good example too. If you justify it well as an unusual example adopted due to the rapid strike potential of the Skyhammer force.

Alternatively you could paint them up as another Chapter, what Chapters have you included so far? Imperial Fists (including many of their successors, Invaders being a good example), Star Phantoms, Minotaurs are all good examples for that sort of force fluffwise.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master

You could always paint them up as Storm Lords... successors may keep the overall flavor of their parent chapter but they will have a character of their own too.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Well, the Heresy Scars books has them using heavy weapons, so whatever.

Also, your hobby, your choice.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chaplain

I can see them using Centurion Devestators for sure, more mobile than a regular dev Squad.

Chaplain

Thanks, guys - all good points. Using a successor chapter might be a solution, but I'll have to find a different one than Storm Lords - I don't think my skills are good enough to handle a 4-color palette "halved" paint scheme!

I've got some Imperial Fist Devastators already, so that would be an easy one to complete and it would boost their shooting a bit (reroll 1's with their bolt pistols/boltguns/heavy bolters).

For White Scars' Successors, go Mantis Warriors:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mantis_Tranquility_Campaign_Sniper_Unit.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	15572

You know you want to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast