BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Fear the walking dead

Please put spoilers in white and don't quote them

I was disappointed. It was really slow, especially for the length of the episode. They could have easily got everything into a normal episode.

spoiler
    Minor quibbles that annoyed me - How could his mother have possibly known which random pile of bedding was her sons?
    Why would they leave the only piece of evidence tying the son to shooting his dealer next to the car? How did they possibly drive past the zombie in the gully access without noticing him?

/spoiler

I really hope it improves, cause I enjoy the walking dead, but I'm worried now the opening episode was so pedestrian.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

It was somewhat dull.

Doesn't help the 'Junkie' didn't particularly convince.

If you compare it to the remake of Dawn of the Dead, that dealt with the emerging outbreak really nicely

And frankly, given this was AMC/BT's chance to convince me to shell out £20 a month just to have access to their channel, they blew it. Not only were the adverts frequent and overly long, but they've billed themselves as the home of original productions, yet were pimping stuff that's anything but new.

I think I'm going to wait for FtWD to come out on home media. It may well pick up, and I'm far happier paying £20ish for a boxed set than £20 a month for a ropey TV Channel.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Yes the Dawn of the Dead remake did it a lot better and set the scene in much less time.

I think you're right. It probably does make far more sense to buy the boxset if it picks up, than to shell out on the TV channel in the hope it does.

I'm amazed that they've managed to make 2 really dull and tedious shows out of a pretty decent comic

In many ways. I think it was the frequency and length of the ad breaks that did it in. They cut straight across any tension they managed to raise
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Casual View Post
    I'm amazed that they've managed to make 2 really dull and tedious shows out of a pretty decent comic
    I think the original series suffers from too much filler. But most american imports seem to have that because of how long the series are. But to have your opening episode feel like that is a massive mistake. As Mystery said they were trying to sell him a tv package on the back of that program and just shot themselves in the foot. I know if they remove it from a free add on to the sport we'll lose it.

Walking Dead lost me at the Season Four mid-season finale, and I just haven't picked it up afterwards. If this is even more dull then I'll probably just not bother. Season one was excellent and the opening double-length episode was excellently-done, but it just ran out of steam so very fast after that.

Agree that Dawn of the Dead's remake really nailed the whole collapsing civilisation/zombie outbreak montage, especially the opening with the newsreel clips over Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around.

I'm still holding out hope for the right producer to pick up a copy of the World War Z book, slap the people who wrote the movie script unconscious, then produce a series based on it. I mean, you could do most of it pretty low-key, cut between the interview and the events, but there's room for some awesome setpiece events and battles, like Yonkers, the taking back of America, Ukraine, Russia, Pakistan...christ, I'd love to see the right horror director do the Paris Catacombs or the Indian storyline where they're trying to escape via ships at a shipbreaking yard. The right vision for that scene could really nail the tragedy from the uncoordinated panic that underlines WWZ's Great Panic section.

Plus I'd love to see the part where the Russians pull out the old Cold War/Great Patriotic War kit and start taking back the Motherland with PPSh SMGs and T34s, along with slews of conscripts. Also the Dog Handler sequence, which was pretty heartbreaking.

I think it'd do much better though, because it has a definitive end. Outbreak happens, Great Panic, the zombie occupation, Total War, and the Aftermath. It's international, and you don't have to pad it out or keep adding season after season of the same old stuff.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Yes that book had so much potential.

I still like Walking Dead.

The whole 'it's safe, no, wait, run away!!!!' was getting dull. But they've changed that up.

Now all they need to do is stop killing off Token Black/Replace Token Black cycle.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I still like Walking Dead.

The whole 'it's safe, no, wait, run away!!!!' was getting dull. But they've changed that up.

Now all they need to do is stop killing off Token Black/Replace Token Black cycle.
    Well Morgan looks to be an awesome butt kicking pacifist so there's still hope! And they haven't killed off the annoying preacher...
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast