BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default A question about Jungle Fighting

So back in 3rd ed Catachans got their book which included rules for fighting in jungles. It has never been updated but I was wondering. Could you play it with 7th ed? Less interested in if it would be a good game but would the rules be playable?

Should be compatible....largely.

Some bits may need tweaking - the save you get from terrain, and whether something is area terrain has changed. I think.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

No worries.

Let us know how you get on!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

This is nice book, however, it would be practically umplayable today due to a tendency of GW to lower point costs over time. For example Catachan devils costs almost twice as much as current vet squads, special weapons are also 10-50% more expensive. They get, however, quite interesting "Ambush" rules - instead of setting an unit on a field you write notes about its location and reveal it on one of your turns. This is really interesting mechanics! Also Marbo is there if you missed him.

I think he's meaning the Jungle Fighting, rather than Jungle Fighter parts of the rules.

Yes looking at it would be keeping the sections on weapon ranges and how cover works also allowing every army to place traps however we are looking into instead limiting it to 1 trap per Heavy support slot. and you pick a terrain piece to attach the trap to. The auspex rule we would be keeping but having to remake that list. From what we can tell this will be interesting as in this format as it very much favours a different type of weapon options and favours close combat units, not the gunline army. But also the getting a double 1 on move through cover causing the unit to be inactive for a turn will be interesting to see how it effects the game.

My current thought at the moment is how to deal with

a)fliers
    b) gargantuan creatures/super heavies/knights etc

our solutions are

a) can't be taken
    b) act as a unit on the hill (can only shoot other units on hills and clearings cannot shoot trails or jungles) but could respond to CC attacks against them.
    c) make them use b) as above execpt they can choose to shoot blast weapons into the jungle where the base starts in contact to the base then scatters but the full 2D6 no reduction due to BS to simulate this unit being above the canopy and being unable to determine where the enemy is. That is unless a friendly unit has LOS to an enemy unit (LOS is same range as shooting) then they can shoot normally.

a) is probably the best bet. Of course, opponents don't want to leave their favorite toys at home. Sometimes, what is supposed to be a narrative challenge can come across as a game with lame restrictions/exclusions.

a.1) Having them limited in some way, pre-battle damage, etc. is second best.

d) I haven't played Jungle Fighers since they were new (OK, also haven't played 40K since 4E) . But, I do play a lot of tactical wargames. Is there a Limit LOS range? Especially to Jungle Fighters in jungle terrain. It's not fun if a gargantuan creatures/super heavies/knights can't shoot at them at close range. But, it's also pointless for Jungle Fighters to even exist if they can shoot at them at long range. Spotting rules don't have to be very complicated. In fact, they have to be simple. Or, else.

When I did play my one and only 40K game with the Jungle Fighter book, a few things cropped up. The first was their satchel charge (or whatever its called) was their only real anti-armor weapon. Use it wisely. Terrain was very important. The more jungle the better. And, you need an opponent that wants to actually play a scenario with "unusual" terrain, rules, and objectives. Cause, it probably wont go perfectly, might not be balanced, and it is supposed to be frustrating coming up with new ways to win the day. It's the kind of thing everyone talks about, and no one does.