BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Want to strat warmachine

Hi guys how you going? I play 40k and fantasy, right now I want to play war machine. I play DE/ eldar and space wolves. Is there any army like DE or necron. I see the new all in box for war machine, they look like wrecks, and talos pain machine. I want that army.

Are you talking about the Cephalyx All in One? Aesthetically, yes they look like DE. However, they are a "Mercenary Sub-Contract" army, in that, they aren't a full army that probably won't be getting updated regularly, much like the Convergence. If you want a fast-paced play style I recommend Cryx or Legion of Everblight. They're fast and have that tortured look about them. Not meaning to steer you away from Cephalyx, they do play competitively, just be prepared to not get updated toys.

The armies in WM/H are quite different to those in Warhammer.

If your looking for an army that "like necrons" i.e. made up entirely of mechanical people then you should look at Convergence of Cyriss.[URL="http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Convergence+of+Cyriss"]http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Convergence+of+Cyriss[/URL]

If your looking for an army that is "like Dark Eldar" then Retribution of Scyrah is the Elf faction with a combination of magical archer, guns,force fields etc. [URL="http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Retribution+of+Scyrah"]http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Retribution+of+Scyrah[/URL]

Or if you looking for an army that enslave and experiments on people then Cephalyx is and army of mind drugged and mind controlled creatures and monsters.

However the styles of play are not the same as Warhammer. You may be better off getting a demo game and exploring the factions to find one that you like and plays to your style. Chain Attack podcast has a great 4 part series for new players which I really recommend.

I may pick up the elf army, what is the pros and cons for them. I know cryx is glass cannon.

Ret are one of the premier scalpel armies in Warmahordes. With their mage hunters, battle mages, and long ranged stormfall archers they can seriously end games by caster kill. They can also brick up really effectively with their houseguard halberdiers, one of the best "basic book tarpit" unit, especially when combined with the thane so they can hold their own in scenario.

They don't really win a lot in the national meta, but they are meta defining. In that, if your opponent doesn't adequately prepare their list for mage hunters, or even slips up on caster placement, or doesn't have a means of shutting down magic (because ret have some amazing arc nodes, and can also control charge lanes with their battlemages) then they'll lose. They are a hard army to learn though.

Cryx as a glass cannon is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, they can't brick up as effectively as trollbloods nor skorne. However, bane riders and banes in general are pretty tough to crack. Hell, their mechanithralls are 5 points for a unit of 10...and i've seen that unit wreck heavies. Cryx can also get some Cephalyx models as allies if you're totally into cephalyx.

Though, as beardmonk has recommended, you should really get started with a demo game, get acquainted with the system, and get to know your meta. As playing a glass cannon or brick force in warmahordes is completely different than the way 40k and fantasy has taught you. Also your meta can massively impact your army composition, especially if you want to play ret and realize that your meta has loads of anti-stealth units which will completely hurt you, if you choose ret of course.

At the end of the day, choose an army that appeals to you aesthetically first, then be prepared to lose a lot. Like...a lot. It happens to all of us. Good on you if you continue with this game. Though i do recommend hitting up privateerpressforums for more info. Battlecollege is good for quick references, but the information isn't regularly updated and it's extremely biased. At least in the privateer forums you'll have several different opinions, a lot of which come from actual tournament players whom can help guide you along.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel_The_Angelic View Post

Cryx as a glass cannon is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, they can't brick up as effectively as trollbloods nor skorne. However, bane riders and banes in general are pretty tough to crack. Hell, their mechanithralls are 5 points for a unit of 10...and i've seen that unit wreck heavies. Cryx can also get some Cephalyx models as allies if you're totally into cephalyx.
    @bombevil You find that most armies can play most forms of game play with the right caster, troops and planning. Cryx is a very good attrition army, stealth, incorporeal, tough, mechanithrall recursion. However our jacks are more glass cannon than all other factions. Hit hard but with a few notable exceptions, if they take a hit, they often can be wrecked in a round of combat.

Though, as beardmonk has recommended, you should really get started with a demo game, get acquainted with the system, and get to know your meta. As playing a glass cannon or brick force in warmahordes is completely different than the way 40k and fantasy has taught you. Also your meta can massively impact your army composition, especially if you want to play ret and realize that your meta has loads of anti-stealth units which will completely hurt you, if you choose ret of course.

At the end of the day, choose an army that appeals to you aesthetically first, then be prepared to lose a lot. Like...a lot. It happens to all of us. Good on you if you continue with this game. Though i do recommend hitting up privateerpressforums for more info. Battlecollege is good for quick references, but the information isn't regularly updated and it's extremely biased. At least in the privateer forums you'll have several different opinions, a lot of which come from actual tournament players whom can help guide you along.
    Everything Yriel said. Can't stress enough how important it is to play and army that appeals to you. You are going to be beaten when you start playing. A lot. So you need to play and army that you find fun and you like the look and background of. The learning curve for this game is very very steep. The interactions between models and abilities, order of activation etc takes a long time to get right. But it is fun :-)

Another thing is to find a Privateer Press "Press-Ganger" for your area/region/FLGS. These are people associated with PP who act as a local advocates, bringing in new players to the game and helping run escalation leagues for new players (known a journeyman leagues). They are very active in the US. In the UK less so but they still exist in most regions. Or a club where there are lots of WM/H players who can guide you through your early games.

I like the cryx models at most, I like their jack, and the bane units. Is any there theme units? I want to a bane theme army

Quote Originally Posted by bombevil View Post
    I like the cryx models at most, I like their jack, and the bane units. Is any there theme units? I want to a bane theme army
    You can research the types of Bane units on Battlecollege or by getting the cryx army book if you want to go down that route. There are limits both on the number of each units you can take. Also, banes work best with certain casters but not others.

You really need to understand how WM/H works. Get your demo games in if you can. :-)

i just got the all on one box on ebay. Want to get a nightmareor deathjack

Is there any hell jack I must have. Just like eldar need jet bike