BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 40k

Default Your 40k

So, how would you fix/tweak 40k rules wise to make it better? I ask this because while 7th is the best edition rules wise according to general opinion, it's not perfect. Let's not make this about codices, let's discus the BRB or individual rules.

I personally dislike few things and I'm going to put here a list with ideas on how I'd fix these things.

- Smash is just 1 attack. Yeah, that was dumb change from 6th. Now there's literally one anti tank monster in the game (outside FW) and it's carnifex. The rule from 6th was fine. I'd see it return.

- FMC can not assault and land during the same player turn. Flying melee monsters are pretty literally useless just because of that. Some people swear in the name of nurgle DP on this, but seeing that everyone now has s10/D ignores cover and armor weapons I'd not do that. What I'd do is that I'd let FMC land and charge, but only getting the base attacks. This would result to no daemon weapon slaughtering but FMCs would still be viable as melee units.

- A unit can not assault if it was in a transport when it exploded during the previous opponents turn. Makes no sense to me since you can still fire heavy weapons normally in that situation. I'd change it so that assaulting is ok in that situation.

- Allies. Allies are only BB with their own legion/chapter/craftworld/etc. and 1 closest thing next to their own kin and allies of convenience with everyone else. By this I mean that CSM would be BB with CSM (not daemonkin, CS or BL) and daemons, marines with only their own chapter and IG, Knights with mechanicus, sisters with GK, Eldar with DEldar, Tau/Orcs/Necrons/etc. with no-one else but their own codex (farsight would not be BB with Tau for example). The idea here is to make people to be able to do what ever they want, but make the less than acceptable cheese a little bit harder to pull off. This would also leave fluffbunnies like myself to do things that make sense unlike what the present rules now allow.

- Assaults from reserves are no no. Since GW is steering away from this anyway, I'd add a special rule that allows dedicated melee units to assault from reserves/outflank/scout/etc. IF it is reasonable to assume that said units are aware of the situation when they enter the board. It's not like the board would be a contained space that no-one can see in to or out of. To me it makes no sense that a unit next to table edge could not be assaulted by a unit that enters that sector of battle next to that unit. I'm aware that this would shift balance, likely a lot, but then again bublewrapping is a thing for a reason.

- 5th edition assaulting from the vehicle rules would be great.

- Getting rid of all the useless rules or tweaking them in such a way that they are worth the time spent on them. This would mean that fear, soul blaze and such uselessness would either be gone or do something without needlessly tedious book keeping and die rolling.

- Fix the OP! Invisibility should reduce hits to BS 1, not snap shots. Invisible people are logically not suddenly immune to templates etc. Other such rules are there, this is just an example.

- Then there are a bunch of already widely used house rules, like objective cards being discarded if they can not be done during the game, opponent asking if the unit receiving shots jinks and so on that I'd put in the book just to make sure the game is fair.

- Deny the witch would reduce the amount of successes in stead of needing to deny all the successes.

- Psychic witchfire powers that have no legit reason for to hit roll would hit automatically. One of these is psychic scream.

- 2++ rerolls on 4++.

- In stead of closest, the player that controls the unit that takes casualties should pick who dies. That special weapon gets picked up if it's user dies.

- D weapons doing damage on 3+. Essentially this would be -1 to the table.

- Blasts and templates hitting only one floor.

- When transport jinks, the passengers also shoot with BS1.

If I think of something else I'll put it here, but I think this was it.

So, what would you change?

I remember that, due to the wording, the Riptide could choose between 3 S6 attacks, or 2 S10 attacks, because it halved the base Attacks value. Made it better than it should've been at CC. You get to re-roll Penetration at S10, which is damn nice tbh.

Who is, "everyone," that has S10 Skyfire Ignores Cover, and how is that relevant against T6 MCs?

What's the point of making Codices BB with themselves and nothing else? It completely removes the relevant of BB-tier allies, and it makes sense that the Imperium works together pretty closely. It opens up a lot of options for styled armies.

There are Formations that let you Assault from Deep Strike and such, so it's probably rolling out. Personally, I feel it makes units a bit point-and-click, but that's just me. Maybe if they got to do it as a Disordered Charge from Reserves/Transports?

What have house rules got to do with it? The Rules are designed around you not being able to discard cards normally, because certain Warlord Traits and Psychic Powers allow you to do so. Also, your opponent has to declare Jinking before you roll to Hit. Asking them if they're Jinking shouldn't need to be in the rules, it's a basic bit of politeness.

Deny working like that would make Psychic Powers even harder to pull off. They're barely worth troubling with as they are now.

Players getting to choose who dies means chewing through expendable Grunts or seeing 10 Nob Bikers all take a Wound each. The system as it is now allows the firer to flank and use positioning to gain the advantage. If you tuck your HQ at the back of a squad and your opponent manages to surround you, it makes sense they take the hits. It represents them getting the drop on you, and you get Look Out, Sir anyway.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Veteran-Sergeant

#1 rule to change is the effectiveness of overwatch, possibly they snap fire overwatch then in their next turn they only snp fire again.
    #2 the ability to charge out of a stationary/wrecked vehicle, possibly as a disordered charge.
    #3 deny the witch needs to change to reducing the amount of sucesses (as shiwan8 stated above)
    #4 reduce the amount of battle bro's allies (e.g. all imperial factions have their own icon on the table, allowing only certain battle bros match ups, such as Guard Bro's with everyone (Imperial, Gue'vesa, Heretics, Genestealer Cult...) whereas Grey Knights would be Bros with only With Sisters of Battle, Desperate Allies with Dark Angles - Due to the Fallen..., but allies of convienence with most other imperial factions, also imperial factions (except guard) should be either desperate allies/come the apocalypse with alien races - due to two things - they have good allying within the imperium and in the fluff are very xenophobic)...
    #5 reduce the amount of silly or duplicate (or near duplicate) rules (e.g. reanimation protocols behave very nearly like FNP, so remove the Reanimation Protocol rule and replace with "models with a reanimation protocol have a 5+ FNP save, and Crypteks give +1 to FNP rolls)...
    Last edited by Mr.Gold; 09-08-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shiwan8 View Post
    - FMC can not assault and land during the same player turn. Flying melee monsters are pretty literally useless just because of that. Some people swear in the name of nurgle DP on this, but seeing that everyone now has s10/D ignores cover and armor weapons I'd not do that. What I'd do is that I'd let FMC land and charge, but only getting the base attacks. This would result to no daemon weapon slaughtering but FMCs would still be viable as melee units.
    Yes, flying monsters should be able to charge after changing modes, secondly they should ONLY be allowed cover saves from jinking/stealth/shrouded (not the ruins that they are 200 feet above)and not be allowed to shoot out their backsides
    - 5th edition assaulting from the vehicle rules would be great.
    Yes
    - Getting rid of all the useless rules or tweaking them in such a way that they are worth the time spent on them. This would mean that fear, soul blaze and such uselessness would either be gone or do something without needlessly tedious book keeping and die rolling.
    again yes
    - Fix the OP! Invisibility should reduce hits to BS 1, not snap shots. Invisible people are logically not suddenly immune to templates etc. Other such rules are there, this is just an example.
    Going to agree blasts and templates should be allowed against invisibility (although the few times it has been used in my games it's effects have been negligible)
    - Deny the witch would reduce the amount of successes in stead of needing to deny all the successes.
    yes
    - Psychic witchfire powers that have no legit reason for to hit roll would hit automatically. One of these is psychic scream.
    especially focussed witchfire (which are almost universally terrible anyway)
    - 2++ rerolls on 4++.
    I'd go with invulnerable saves cannot be improved past a 3+ (Like the mark of Tzeentch effect for Chaos marines)
    - In stead of closest, the player that controls the unit that takes casualties should pick who dies. That special weapon gets picked up if it's user dies.
    Some system that means characters cannot "tank" wounds with better saves, but also protects the heavy/special weapon users- and to prevent wound shenanigans with multi-wound units
    - D weapons doing damage on 3+. Essentially this would be -1 to the table.
    D weapons are SUPPOSED to be stupidly powerful, that'd make them worse than Str 10 most of the time,
    I'd say a fairer table would be:
    1) No effect
    2-3) Pen-1 Hp/1 wound damage ( -1 to any invun/cover saves)
    4-5) Pen-2 Hp/2 wounds (-2 to any cover/invun saves)
    6) Pen-3Hp/3 wounds no saves of any kind
    No losing 6 wound things in one shot but no more bouncing off storm shields nonsense
    - Blasts and templates hitting only one floor.
    yes, add (because people are stupid) wheeled/tracked vehicles/bikes cannot climb ruins without a ramp.
    As for my personal ideas:
    -Limit how many blessings can be done on a unit (too much psychic energy pumped into something could be dangerous,and limits "deathstars" a bit)
    -Jink should vary based on the type of model (For example how is a Necron Ghost ark as capable of dodging a shot as a Dark Eldar Venom?)
    -Rules that shouldn't affect an entire unit should be altered e.g Stealth, shrouded, slow and purposeful, fearless (just because "crazy Dave" is fearless doesn't mean "cowardly Steve" would suddenly be too)
    - Feel no pain limited to 4+ (like necron reanimation,which is virtually the same, is) and not allowed against "no saves of any kind" wounds
    -2nd edition vehicle movement rules (i.e limited turns based on how far they move- no more ghost arks flying sideways which is dumb)
    - Vehicles hit in combat depending on how fast they have been moving (2+ immobile, 3+ for combat speed, 4+ for cruising, 5+ for flat out. -1 modifier for skimmers)
    - A 1 (or a 6 when you need to roll low) always fail, doubles/triples etc when applicable (No Auto glance/pens on vehicles even with armourbane/melta)
    -Some psychic powers need adjusting (for example Warp speed gives the Psyker fleet-which is completely useless unless he is the only model in the unit)
    Last edited by Djbz; 09-08-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Thing is, a lot of those suggestions would damage weaker armies. Tyranids, for example, rely on a single model having Fearless conferring it to the squad, with Synapse.

How is it dumb for a Ghost Ark to move sideways? It's a hovering skimmer, that's exactly how they should be able to move.

Simplifying Reanimation Protocols to FNP not only means they don't get it versus Instant Death, but it also removes one of the few unique aspects of Necron rules.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Thing is, a lot of those suggestions would damage weaker armies. Tyranids, for example, rely on a single model having Fearless conferring it to the squad, with Synapse.

How is it dumb for a Ghost Ark to move sideways? It's a hovering skimmer, that's exactly how they should be able to move.

Simplifying Reanimation Protocols to FNP not only means they don't get it versus Instant Death, but it also removes one of the few unique aspects of Necron rules.
    Never agreed with Synapse conferring fearless anyway, background info has the hive mind making gaunt units "flee" or withdraw in general- fearless prevents that, even in cases when they have no way of harming the unit they are engaged with.

Ghost arks moving sideways a bit makes sense, but they can do it at full speed when their main engine (that they'd need for full speed) is at the rear. They don't look maneuverable enough to pull a 90 degree turn, power up the main engine to max and then pull another 90 degree turn, it just defies all sense for something that large and clunky to be able to pull off that kind of maneuver

As for that last one, I didn't suggest making reanimation protocols feel no pain- I compared them as they are nearly identical and suggested that feel no pain get the limit of "never better than a 4+" that reanimation does

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

no, the hive mind doesnt force gaunts to "flee" it may withdraw them, which is plenty covered by game play, but it doesnt force them to flee. Fearless is good but Synapse should do a little bit more given what similar army wide rules do.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    no, the hive mind doesn't force gaunts to "flee" it may withdraw them, which is plenty covered by game play, but it doesn't force them to flee. Fearless is good but Synapse should do a little bit more given what similar army wide rules do.
    Kind of my point there, fearless (as it is) basically takes a dump on Tyranids "tactical flexibility" as they can no longer withdraw a unit from close combat with something they can't hurt(lets say a Dreadnought) to allow another unit (that has appropriate weapons) a clear shot.

Can or rewrite Invisibility, so it makes sense.

Disembarkation in response to Assaults on Transports.

Overwatch with Sponsons.

Infestation rules for Nids (i.e.: units that fall back from/wipeout Stealers turning on other units).

Taxing Psychic Power tables, either through points or drawbacks.

Mandatory Terrain quotas for mission setup, either on the map table, in the missions themselves.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Djbz View Post
    Kind of my point there, fearless (as it is) basically takes a dump on Tyranids "tactical flexibility" as they can no longer withdraw a unit from close combat with something they can't hurt(lets say a Dreadnought) to allow another unit (that has appropriate weapons) a clear shot.
    LOL, that sounds like ATSKNF would be much more appropriate. But unforetunately never gonna happen, special snowflakes gotta snowflake
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast