BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Can a Gladius Strike Force use the Tactical Doctrine 3 times?

I am slightly unsure of an interpretation I seem to have seen online where people are saying that due to a Gladius strike force having 2 Battle Demi-companies, they can enact 2 Tactical Doctrines from this and then a Devastator/Tactical/Assault from the Gladius. The rules do mention that they are cumulative but within the Battle demi-company use the phrase one or more, implying you only get 1 Tactical Doctrine if you have 1 or more Battle demi-companies.

1. Battle Demi-Company - "Tactical Flexibility: If your army contains one or more Battle Demi-companies, you can choose to enact the Tactical Doctrine (pg 189) once per game."
    2. Gladius Strike force - "Codex Astartes: If your army contains one or more Gladius Strike Forces, you can enact each of the Combat Doctrines (Devastator, Assault and Tactical) (pg 189) once per game."
    3. Combat Doctrines - "Several special rules allow units or Formations to enact one or more of the following Doctrines. Whenever a rule allows this, it will note which units are affected and how many times per game the Doctrine(s) can be enacted. These are cumulative, so if your army has two rules that allow it to enact the Tactical Doctrine once per game, you can enact it twice per game."

Is there a consensus I am unaware or?

Quote Originally Posted by XionXxen View Post
    I am slightly unsure of an interpretation I seem to have seen online where people are saying that due to a Gladius strike force having 2 Battle Demi-companies, they can enact 2 Tactical Doctrines from this and then a Devastator/Tactical/Assault from the Gladius. The rules do mention that they are cumulative but within the Battle demi-company use the phrase one or more, implying you only get 1 Tactical Doctrine if you have 1 or more Battle demi-companies.

1. Battle Demi-Company - "Tactical Flexibility: If your army contains one or more Battle Demi-companies, you can choose to enact the Tactical Doctrine (pg 189) once per game."
    2. Gladius Strike force - "Codex Astartes: If your army contains one or more Gladius Strike Forces, you can enact each of the Combat Doctrines (Devastator, Assault and Tactical) (pg 189) once per game."
    3. Combat Doctrines - "Several special rules allow units or Formations to enact one or more of the following Doctrines. Whenever a rule allows this, it will note which units are affected and how many times per game the Doctrine(s) can be enacted. These are cumulative, so if your army has two rules that allow it to enact the Tactical Doctrine once per game, you can enact it twice per game."

Is there a consensus I am unaware or?
    Demi-company can use once the tactical doctrine. (only the Demi company)
    Gladius strike force (wich must be composed of a single Demi and 1x Auxiliary) can enact one of the 3x doctrines once per battle. (for the whole formation)
    Now if you are playing Ultramarines Sons of Guillimian apply so thats allow to enact one of the 3x Doctrines once per battle. (for the whole army)

So yes you can get 3x tactical doctrines as you point but only if playing Ultramarines, just remember the Demi-company only apply to itself (so Demi 1 can't use his own tactical doctrine and grant it to Demi 2 ) while gladius is army wide to all units of the formation
    Last edited by Perversor; 07-23-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Actually reading he wording it says "any model with Chapter Tactics that belongs to a Demi-Company". It doesn't say 'the' Demi-Company. So that's cool at least.

I would like to point some things out. For example, well say you're using an Ultramarines Gladius with 2 demi-companies and an auxiliary. The Gladius gives you 1 use EACH of the Tactical, Assault, and Devastator doctrines, applying to all models with chapter tactics rule part of the Gladius. Demi company gives you one use of the Tactical Doctrine for all models with the Chapter Tactics rule as part of ANY demi-company. And finally, Ultramarines gives you one use EACH of the Tactical, Assault, and Devastator doctrines, applying to all models with chapter tactics rule that are Ultramarines. So that gives you 7 doctrines to use, 3 Tactical, 2 Assault, and 2 Devastator. All of which apply to all of your models with chapter tactics, save for only one of the tactical doctrines which only applies to models in any demi company.

So if you take the suppression force as your auxiliary, each doctrine will affect every infantry model you are using.
    Last edited by Caboose; 09-09-2015 at 06:50 AM.