BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Just bought the AoS Starter Pack

I don't currently own any table top games or minis. I do like board games a lot though, so thought I would try out Age of Sigmar. Seems like a lot of people were worried about finding players that want to play AoS because no one is sure how to build armies. Is the lot of you deciding to just play a certain scenario and agreeing on which army to command, or are you building your own up from scratch? Thanks!

It's a wide open system, and relies quite heavily upon gentleman's agreements - which given it's a game and not some high-stakes gambling is kind of suited.

Army Selection is pretty open as well. There are community written structures out there should you wish to avail yourself - but I suspect most players (certainly those you'd want to play) would be happy to forgo those, even if it's their norm, to welcome new blood in.

I'd head to your local games store, and look online for gaming clubs and start from there. Not only is a great way to meet new gamers, but for me at least, everyone I now know in my town is either directly or indirectly through the local GW
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Thanks! Yeah I been reading around this website a bunch since I joined and posted this, seems like a lot of people have some good ideas on how to set up and army. I think I was going to try out Auticus' Azyr version as a guide. It's really straight forward army builder. Do you know of any good gamer-club website? I'm totally new to table-top games and don't know anyone who plays this game yet. I'm kinda nervous to play against some people though because they got so many people to choose from, and I just have my little starter armies haha

Facebook is usually a good place to start. You ought to be able to find Stores, Clubs and even just Gaming Buddies through that.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

By far the easiest way to get started is either building a group of like minded people or joining a club.

Either way, you will have a division of labor where it is not necessary for you to "have everything" as almost certainly, the more veteran players will have all the basic stuff you need to play.

Cannot over emphasize how important this is to someone just starting out.

Awesome! Yeah, I ended up going down to the local hobby store and just asking about it. They have an event next month for 6 warscrolls and 75 wounds, but the starter armies only come with about 50 wounds each! But just like you said, the guy there said its all good and I could use some of his guys to round off my army to the 75 wound limit. Totally cool of him! Thanks for the advice guys. I'm really looking forward to putting my new little dudes into the fight!

Occuli Imperator

Hello and welcome aboard
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni