BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    Most of the people that I know that are playing AoS with us in our campaigns don't ever post on internet forums because they got tired of being trolled every day for being shills. Heck we even got someone sending us an email wishing cancer on us for supporting GW and planning an AoS campaign because it sends GW the message that people do enjoy the product which we shouldn't do for some reason.

As NSC posted above, I'm in a few FB groups as well that have a lot of traffic. I'm not surprised forums don't get much AoS traffic because the feeling is that on any general wargaming forum there are a few people ready to pounce on anyone that has anything positive to say so largely don't bother going to forums anymore.

Over the weekend we had 12 people in our GW store prepping for our AoS campaign and we have 25 signed up for the event, had an active hobby day where one person was putting an entire chaos fortress together, and in general it was a fun time - so thats really also all that I care about.
    Sending you hate email is just downright silly. The only AOS games I play are the ones testing out your rules Auticus. They help a great deal. It isn't entirely enough though. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You have managed to make a very functional purse out of it though.

What I've noticed is people using their old Games Workshop armies in other games. I've seen a great deal of that. Running neck in neck have been people making up their own rules and playing games mixing and matching different models. AOS and 40K have taken heavy hits in our area. The old models are being used but there is some serious experimentation going on in other systems.

Chapter-Master

Sigmar seems to still be doing better than WFB locally so that's something I guess. More concerning for me is that while 40k is still doing better than any one game, it is no longer doing better than all the other games combined... which is actually a big drop off for 40k.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Sending you hate email is just downright silly. The only AOS games I play are the ones testing out your rules Auticus. They help a great deal. It isn't entirely enough though. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You have managed to make a very functional purse out of it though.

What I've noticed is people using their old Games Workshop armies in other games. I've seen a great deal of that. Running neck in neck have been people making up their own rules and playing games mixing and matching different models. AOS and 40K have taken heavy hits in our area. The old models are being used but there is some serious experimentation going on in other systems.
    Thanks I've got my own wargame rules I want to push but waiting for a good way to do so. Without a proper "company" it would be dead in the water. Working on a PC game to fix that

Personal anecdotes, yay! Locally the fantasy scene's looking at other games and the poor GW store is in bad shape because 40K has been wearing people down like WFB did, and AoS was given a chance and found extremely lacking, so now there's just a small number of people, who mostly seem to be doing multiplayer battles that never get finished.

There are also some of us who have valid opinions disagreeing with various things about AoS, who get assaulted by the pro-AoS crowd who are just as much "trolls" as the more vehement anti-GW crowd, and that scares off a lot of valid dissenting opinions. (Personally, I just don't care if someone on the Internet wants to call me horrible names, question my lineage, insult my family, all that. I'm mainly upset because the quality of such insults on the Internet has seriously degraded over the years, and it's not even amusing any more.)

It's a fair point to say, "Oh, hey, this place is dead," as a point against AoS. Is it really accurate? Nah, not really. But someone tried it with Star Wars Armada, and this is much more of a GW forum than an FFG forum, so if low post count for Armada is somehow an indicator that Armada is doing poorly, then surely a lack of AoS posts must mean it's doing horribly, right? I don't really believe that logic, just pointing out how inane some people's comments about other games are.

I do just find it so ironic that the "pro-AoS" crowd does just as much to bash anyone who disagrees, and similarly has this odd fascination with insisting people agree with their idea of what games are fun or good.

Personally, I'm looking into more non-GW games, out of necessity. The GW store's traffic has died down (I really do feel bad for the new manager, who seems like a friendly chap but probably won't be able to resuscitate it), one FLGS has stopped ordering much of anything from GW (and isn't even bothering with the AoS stuff any more), another FLGS gets in some of the AoS stuff to make sure they're up on the latest stuff, but AoS isn't selling, and even 40K is dying down. Meanwhile, X-Wing and Armada are getting love, Warmachine is getting more players, Infinity has a group going, Halo Fleet Battles just came out, there's some RPGs, the fantasy players are looking at Frostgrave. The good news is that I can get into all of those very easily, since I'm used to spending ridiculous amounts on the hobby already.

But hey, if AoS is doing okay in your area? Good for you. Glad you have something you can enjoy. Just, like the other side, remember your experiences are not universal, and for some of us, AoS even killed the GW fantasy crowd, so we might not have the warmest opinion of it.

Still waiting to get those huge warmachine crowds that the internet believes exist and are killing everything GW... yep... any day now the sky will fall

One thing that seems consistent is that wargamers are diversifying which is weakening individual store communities as people try different games. If you fear change and diversity then the best bet is to champion your game as positively as possible, like how Auticus is organizing campaigns with defined rulings. At my local store we're prepping to run a Realms of Chaos style warband escalation, so good things ahead

At my local store we're prepping to run a Realms of Chaos style warband escalation, so good things ahead
    Sweet - what rules are you using, the old chaos warband rules that came out in 6th?

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    Sweet - what rules are you using, the old chaos warband rules that came out in 6th?
    Well, the manager is leaving and he was the one who suggested it, but one guy decided that he wanted to run it because it sounded fun.

When I asked him what he was going to use he didn't realize there were any existing warband rules lol! So I informed him about Realms of Chaos, the 6th Warband rules and I know a cheeky brit who's converting Realms of Chaos to AoS.

So I'll be sharing all these rules with the guys and helping them work the rules into AoS We haven't decided yet which we want as the base, it might become a mash up of a bunch of things.

Sounds awesome - post some results when they come if you would I love reading about other campaigns.

No idea if it's any indicator of anything or not. Still have yet to see a AoS game played at any of my local stores personally. Doesn't mean it's not being played, just that I have not seen it. Personally I moved over to KoW and am pretty happy with it so far. To each their own obviously.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I read once that a cadaver will pass gas now and then too. You must have a finer view of this place Mr. Mystery because it looks about the same amount of dead to me as it looked prior to the End Times. We could go and count posts. I'm willing to bet there isn't a significant change between the number of average posts prior to the brief End Times spike and now.

It would also be interesting to do a pie chart of the people involved in what few posts that do exist in this section. I think that would be rather illuminating too.
    I must say, his ilk got what they always wanted, the Forum where no one posts anymore unless its to praise GW......looks like a wasteland these days
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast