BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

It kind of is like M:TG, but also nothing like it.

Magic? No points limit. Indeed, no deck limit. Only real restrictions are 20 life, no more than 'four of a kind' in your deck, and when you can't draw (because your library is gone) you lose the game.

AoS? No points limit. Indeed, no army limit. No restrictions except a bit of common sense and mutual respect. Different scenarios may affect what can deploy, and may require some of your force to be held in reserve. When all your dudes are dead, you lose the game.

Both have synergy at their core - it ain't what you got, but what you do with it.

Magic is more simplistic than AoS. There's certain cards combos which, unless your opponent is playing Blue, has some Counters in hand and a bunch of mana to spare spell 'Goodnight Vienna'.

AoS? No such super-synergies. Buffs, debuffs all exist, but your opponent has to aggressively target them to break your synergy. Sometimes, this can be fairly easy. Other times, a canny opponent has two or three different synergies at their disposal, which don't need to interlink, but can be horrific if they do so.

Except said synergies can be spotted from the get go. This creates a very different game to M:tG, where its as much about your cunning as hoping your deck is in a good mood, and doles out the ming and mana in roughly appropriate doses (my well 'ard Dragon deck for instance is 50% mana, including many multi-coloured lands to help ensure I have the right mana at the right time, and still my deck likes to screw me every now and then). In AoS? It's pretty much on the board, so as an opponent I have to set about identifying your game plan, and how I can best scupper it once we're deployed. This in turn informs the sort of force I might pack for a game. I want to ensure I have my own synergies set, but also ways to defend it whilst cracking your own.

See my post above for some stuff the 'I was never going to like this, because reasons' group like to pretend don't exist - tactics. That's a synergy right there. It's kind of basic, but very effective as it allows me to focus the attacks of two units on your one unit, whilst only really risking one of my two. That sort of force multiplier will help to see Battleshock by my friend, and not yours.

And make no bones about it. Battleshock is a killer. It's bloody difficult to tarpit an opponent now, because the chaff units I'd merrily massacre in 8th? There's not Steadfast for them anymore. Likewise, it's much harder to lose the game from a single fluffed Ld roll. I'm pretty sure all Warhammer players have had a perfect game until a certain combat goes a bit awry, and sees a solid unit head for the hills thanks to an 11, then 12 on the re-roll Ld test. Not anymore. There are ways to mitigate this - most armies have some sort of mechanism - and one I'll be doing my damnedest to remove from the equation as soon as possible - because I don't want to get stuck in combat with a Battleshock immune unit. I'll be wanting to charge in, do my damage and then send you packing in your own turn, ta

And oddly enough...people complain about Magic in AoS. I'm not sure why. None of it, so far, is all that devastating.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Chaos can win, but it has no interest in it right now, because the Mortal Realms are too much fun for them, they're vast, they and slaughter, infect, tempt and beguile for millennia without growing bored. There is more power in the Realms than there was in the Old World, and with Sigmar and the others now being Gods of if not equal then comparable power to those of Chaos, its a very different scenario.

Add in the fact that Slannessh has gone missing after sleeping off a world full of Elf souls, the devisious treachery of the newly raised Horned Rat and Khorne going on full on conqueror rather than working with his siblings, and you have a world where it makes sense that Chaos hasn't "won" yet.

With Sigmar out of hiding and throwing open the doors to his Realm once more though, they have a chance, which is why Archaon is back rallying the forces of Chaos to his banner, he was the unifying force last time and will have to be again. If he can ally the forces of the Gods again and lead them to attack Azyr, then there is the very real risk that Sigmar could be defeated again.

The story told so far, and remember that campaign books and sets will keep coming and drive the story along, has been the opening chapter. The charge out of the forces of Order from their hidden base with a few significant early victories against a more powerful opponent who didn't see it coming. We still have to have our Empire Strikes Back and then the one with all the muppets.

Brother-Captain

Actually Chaos did win. They Blew up the Old World. The came bloody close the doing the same to the Realms. The story of AoS is Sigmars only chance to get the Realms back. Apart from his city Chaos was in control. The biggest change is that Chaos can actually lose, as evidenced by Slaanesh taking a kicking, rather than just retreating back to the chaos wastes and than have another go.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Actually Chaos did win. They Blew up the Old World.
    Which somehow made all their opponents more powerful.
    The came bloody close the doing the same to the Realms.
    And what did stop them from doing so? Oh yeah. Sigmar closing his front door. Sitting around, building an army. Without any consequence to his realm.
    Guess what he will do the next time Choas comes bloody close doing it again? Right! He closes his door again and laughs his *** off because it has no consequence to him. He can comfortably sit another thousand years. Without Choas doing anything... except for killing each other because that is what they do if they stand before a closed door.
    Apart from his city Chaos was in control.
    So everything else is destroyed? Nope. Everything is still around.

The biggest change is that Chaos can actually lose, as evidenced by Slaanesh taking a kicking, rather than just retreating back to the chaos wastes and than have another go.
    Which was about the most uninspiring thing. Lets go and capture a chaos god and piss on his fans.
    They basically reversed the roles as Sigmar is not the one who can just go back and close his door and then have another go just with the difference that choas is still the antagonist and if anything fails, in come the sigmarines.

No sorry. The story is just as uninspiring as the game itself.

Then please refrain from commenting.

Or, y'know, go give the background a re-read, and some of the stories. See what's actually going, as opposed to what you dearly hope is going in order to knock a game you claim not to play, by a company you have an increasingly bizarre chip on your shoulder about.

Sigmar sealed Azyrheim - and it took a lot of effort to do it. Sigmar, Mallerion, Tyrion and Grungni all working in concert. Chaos started trying to batter it down. Khorne's followers did what Khorne's followers do - started a punch up.

Nice self-defeat their Chaos. True to your nature.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Sigmar can't close the gates again, this is his one shot, closing them the first time was difficult enough and Chaos won't fall for it again.

The Realms are huge, each probably has a larger surface area than the Old World, Chaos have taken over all bar Azyr and only because Sigmar cut it off almost completely. With nothing else to keep them busy, they have fallen back in to infighting.

I also don't see how setting up a cool story thread to pick up later is pissing on fans of Slaanesh?

The story needs to advance and changes need to have lasting impact, that was one of the main gripes people had with the setting for Warhammer, that's what they're doing now, they're setting up stories to be told over the next 5-10 years.

40k - Chaos' ultimate victory - over everyone - is ultimately completely inevitable.

So I guess by that same rationale, 40k has a dull setting yeah?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    40k - Chaos' ultimate victory - over everyone - is ultimately completely inevitable.

So I guess by that same rationale, 40k has a dull setting yeah?
    Is it? Sh*t, I must have blinked. I thought the 'nids were going to eat everyone and convert the biomass to more 'nids and then eat each other before picking their teeth with the necrons.

Personally I'd like to see the mushroom men make a screaming comeback, but I blame Fury Road for that.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Don't mind him. I have him on ignore for 6 months now and I do not feel like I missed any contribution.

It's not like Sigmar can just "castle up" again, when he was pushed back to Azyr he had no idea how he was going to stop Chaos from destroying these realms, it was with a bit of madness and desperation that he commissioned the Stormcast and started empowering them. He's using up the last Sigmarite in the realms to make his army, and not all the sigmarines return from battle, so the Sigmarite is dwindling.

A lot of people remark that Chaos is at its strongest, but they're not, they grew complacent with their victories and settled back in to warring with each other as they are wont to do.

The game now is to see how much Sigmar's forces can drive away Chaos before they rally back, and if they do manage to rally back the forces of Order have so much to overcome, but bringing order to Chaos is quite difficult for even the Chaos gods...

Which means I get a lot more of the stories I love, with champions of chaos being selfish and potentially damning the forces of Chaos to defeat or victory for petty reasons, all while larger than life threats battle for supremacy.

Also I want to see what the elves are doing now that they're one big happy dysfunctional family again. It's been a long time for humans, but not nearly as long for the elves and dwarves with their long Tolkien-esque lifespans.

I look forward to fell rituals and heroic gambits, tales which the AoS big books are filled with

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast