BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Oldhammer as a return to the causal, relaxed narrative driven story telling Warhammer as a wargame with some rpg elements is a great concept.

What happened in reality was that people camped up in what they decided was the golden age of Warhammer (almost always what was current when they were between 12-18 years of age) and then people taking the opportunity to belittle each other about what is and isn't "Oldhammer".

As a group, its now just a gang of bitter nerds complaining about modern games workshop, pretty much the same as every other hobby community. Interestingly, Age of Sigmar has many of the qualities of the 3rd edition of Warhammer that is popular in the Oldhammer groups, yet rather than looking at what was good about it, decided to moan and ***** like everyone else.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Really?
    Yep, pretty much any site with 'Game' in the meta gets this,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiders.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	15892

So obviously sites like

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/[/url]

and

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com[/url]

are perfectly accessible.

No 'Games' there.

Just the world's finest miniatures...
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

That sounds about right.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

That sounds about right.
    So it's not that I want to hangout here you understand, it's just that they leave me no choice

Damn them.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

Well you are in possession of honesty so I'll believe you.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Really?
    Strangely, my company's firewall blocks the BoLS main site, but not the forum. Blocks a lot of other forums, plenty of gaming sites, but not GW's main site. (Actually, it gets weird there... I can visit GW's main site and careers site, but not the investor site.)

Similarly, Yahoo!'s fantasy basketball is blocked, but not the fantasy football... though the IT team is really into fantasy football, so that might explain that.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by nsc View Post
    My big problem is how immature the oldhammer/classichammer/whateveryouwanttocallit community has become. It's incredibly fragmented with everyone having their own belief as to what old-warhammer should mean. Nobody can agree on what edition is "the best" (most will answer third or sixth, but there's no overwhelming majority) and many of them are exceedingly hostile about what toy soldiers you use.

I used to think the "oldhammer movement" was what I was looking for, but then I realized they're mostly a group of angry, elitist, rude people who I much rather never play a game with. It seems that if I want to run a D&D styled battle where people lead squads and discover hidden monsters and treasure during gameplay, well I have to convince my friends to play because if I try and find someone who is into old hammer they'll get mad at literally everything

A shame really, because I don't have anything against old versions of rules, but since it's impossible for old hammerers to agree on what they like it just ends up being a headache and I'm better off ignoring them. I also have to mention that such a hostile mindset only serves to drive most people away which results in a diminishing niche community.

However for age of sigmar, I'm going to be buying some bloodletters soon, in november I'll buy a bloodthirster or skarbrand or a celestant prime, I'm not sure which yet , and I'm quite excited to see what they'll be releasing next!
    Then you haven't dipped into the Classichammer site at all. Nobody there is elitist, and we're pretty democratic about what should or shouldn't be considered standard/comped/houseruled/whatever. Not all fossil nerd enclaves are created equal...

Also, I think it's bad to label those players as such, because the AoS community is part of what's turned me off on that game. So to each their own, right?

Its hard to speak for an entire community regardless of the community. I know a few guys that only play older versions of warhammer and they are fine, as are their groups. There are a few people in there that are douche rockets yes but that is true of any group of people.

I think its growing quite on the forum this is because well people who enjoy age of sigmar like myself have grown tired of those people who invoke negativity to the game and lets just put it this way were proving to be the mature one and just ignoring those negative types so we can get on enjoying our hobby also this thread seems really pointless as to carry on a closed thread during all the negative posts.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast