BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Is it? Sh*t, I must have blinked. I thought the 'nids were going to eat everyone and convert the biomass to more 'nids and then eat each other before picking their teeth with the necrons.

Personally I'd like to see the mushroom men make a screaming comeback, but I blame Fury Road for that.
    Absolutely. When the 14th Black Crusade breaches the Cadian Gate, you can bet your bippy that they'll be dragging the rift in reality that is the Eye of Terror with them, allowing the Daemon Armies more or less unfettered access to realspace. Those irritating, immortal Daemons. Ain't nothing going to stop that. Especially not when everyone else is still scrapping it out amongst themselves.

But my point? It's not boring at all. 40k is a riveting settings.

Difference? 40k has been around for 26 years. AoS? 6 months. But hey, let's all just write it off because we've got an inexplicable bone to pick with a company which really doesn't care about us as individuals.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

AArg- you've brought up an old wound. I fought in the 13th crusade, and I remember how those guys at the GW store said how it was going to change the fluff (either for or against chaos). They kept saying "The Emperor could die." So disappointed when nothing happened.

Anyway, the chip that so many people have on their shoulders about GW is pretty easy to explain, and it is only partly related to AoS. They use to really LOVE everything from Games Workshop, and they miss that feeling.

Personally, I want GW to rock, and I want them to succeed by being awesome (rather than by cutting costs faster than they lose customers).

I don't like that GW are in decline at a time when the overall market is growing. It makes me think that they're doing something wrong, you know?

I know that[URL="http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine"] Games Workshop's decision makers will not listen[/URL] and that's disparaging.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 10-02-2015 at 09:35 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Quite the opposite.

The Realmgates are a calculated gamble on Sigmar's behalf.

The Chaos forces we see at the moment aren't at their peak. Having all but triumphed, they did what Chaos does and turned on each other in lieu of more worthy foes. This could still all go horribly, and very easily wrong for Sigmar.
    Except, no. They *can't* win, because GW completely reversed the story they JUST put out earlier this year.

In End Times, Chaos triumphs completely. They don't stop to turn on each other. They destroy the world, completely. Everything's gone.

Then suddenly, Chaos triumphs in AoS, but stops short of destroying everything and turns on each other. And somehow, after centuries of that and hunting the local populace, there's still people left. And Sigmar can and will come and win the day, because he knew he had time.

The two are very different, and being so close to each other is why I'm even more annoyed. Either they weren't paying attention to what they were writing, or they just figured their audience wouldn't pay attention (at which point you have to ask why they keep releasing expensive fluff books, then).

There's no way to create stakes. Stakes don't exist. Chaos won, but couldn't win. So we know it's all moot. Sigmar *will* beat them back eventually, a magic wand will wave and recreate the populations that shouldn't even exist at this point, and that'll be it. It'll take a long time to get there, of course, because the story has to be milked to sell models. But that's the long game. In the very first book they showed us there's nothing worth fighting for but also no way to permanently lose, despite being shown in a book published just scant months earlier that the Chaos Gods *don't* turn on each other and *do* finish destroying things.

They screwed up in their rush to wipe out a universe that's still interesting enough to milk for franchise money and shove out something completely new.

If you like the story, cool. Some people like stories where the good guys will definitely win, and there's not anything to fight over, and what there is to fight for logically shouldn't even exist. I'd probably enjoy it more if I didn't actually think about the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Difference? 40k has been around for 26 years. AoS? 6 months. But hey, let's all just write it off because we've got an inexplicable bone to pick with a company which really doesn't care about us as individuals.
    I'm not writing it off because of my VERY EXPLAINABLE issues with the company, but rather because the fluff doesn't make sense, is juvenile in places (more so that the acceptable amount, because hey, juvenile can be fun), and contradicts with what they want to pretend it's a continuation of (rather than a retcon of).

I'm also annoyed with the people who "inexplicably" claim the Warhammer world was boring and uninteresting, while somehow non-GW companies are taking that IP and running with it to make all kinds of games that people are eagerly waiting for, meaning not only was it interesting and exciting, but people actually liked that world.

The world wasn't the problem. The problem was they screwed up the game by removing Skirmish and pushing larger battles while pushing up the price, to where people looked at how much it cost to get into WFB and said, "Yeah, no screw that." And the same is going to eventually happen to 40K, at which point people will start declaring 40K's background to be boring and stale, too, rather than admitting the issue is really with the marketing plan.

First-Captain

Imagine writing that many words and yet still managing to miss the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    In End Times, Chaos triumphs completely.
    Well... according to the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar]AoS Wiki[/url]:

Age of Sigmar (AS) is a tabletop wargame released by Games Workshop in 2015. It replaces Warhammer Fantasy Battle (WFB) as the fantasy wargame in the Warhammer universe. Several supplements released for the eighth edition of WFB centred on the End Times which led to the almost total destruction of the Warhammer world and the death of most of the world's population. This leads into the Age of Sigmar with the return of the long lost founder of the human empire worshipped as a god, Sigmar.
    So it appears you are incorrect, however, having not been a fan of the Oldhammer world, I really don't care.

What I do care about is entitled folks who seem to want to save me from GW and in doing so destroy a company who not only makes their minis in the UK but employs tons of people around the world. That in a time of global recession with so many folks already out of work. Just what we need...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rivers View Post
    Well... according to the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar]AoS Wiki[/url]:

So it appears you are incorrect, however, having not been a fan of the Oldhammer world, I really don't care.
    Since wikipedia isn't written by contributors that aren't vetted as reliable sources, and can't be edited by anyone. Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rivers View Post
    What I do care about is entitled folks who seem to want to save me from GW and in doing so destroy a company who not only makes their minis in the UK but employs tons of people around the world. That in a time of global recession with so many folks already out of work. Just what we need...
    So we should pay excessive prices for minis because there are people working there? Companies fail all the time, GW shouldn't be any different.

Define excessive.

PP often charge more for fewer options and poses. Yet point it out and it's head in the sand time.

How much profit is a given company entitled to seek? Are they in anyway beholden to anyone but their share holders? If so, why?

If you're not a fan of their approach and direction - then fair enough, to each their own. But please do try to quantify.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

Define excessive.

PP often charge more for fewer options and poses. Yet point it out and it's head in the sand time.

How much profit is a given company entitled to seek? Are they in anyway beholden to anyone but their share holders? If so, why?

If you're not a fan of their approach and direction - then fair enough, to each their own. But please do try to quantify.
    Quantify? Okay, I fail to see how a single plastic model trooper can be reasonably charged more than $1.50 US. And given the current cost of the models, I won't buy them off the shelf without a stellar game to support it. Which brings us to the game rules, which I don't think are good enough to make me want to buy something like Skarbrand. At the price point with the quality of the game, I cannont justify spending money just to keep them working. That was what the poster that I quoted was getting at.

So they're not allowed to sell stuff at a price that covers design and development, production, packaging and sales, let alone profit?

If $1.50 (roughly £1) a model is your benchmark, how do you justify buying any other model ever, apart from perhaps those green army men, the moulds for which seem to have been around forever?

First-Captain

$1.50?

That's ridiculous. Actually insanely stupid thing to say. That would just about cover the material costs of the model and packaging. So, how are they moulded? Designed? Written about? Sold to you? Painted?

$1.50?

GW aren't going broke, they have a model that works for them because they're making profit by selling models at the price they think is best. If you don't want to buy them, then don't, that's as simple as it gets.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast