BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Gaming Room Essentials?

Evening all.

Due to my current landlord wanting the property back, I'm soon to be on the move to a new flat.

And the one I've got my beady little eyes on has a second bedroom. And yes, this of course means it's going to be Nerdhalla - a space dedicated to my nerdy excesses....

But what needs to go in there? Well, there's the obvious stuff. Table, chairs, shelves for my models and of course a gaming board or three...

Surely there's more to it than though? Can anyone offer recommendations?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Evening all.

Due to my current landlord wanting the property back, I'm soon to be on the move to a new flat.

And the one I've got my beady little eyes on has a second bedroom. And yes, this of course means it's going to be Nerdhalla - a space dedicated to my nerdy excesses....

But what needs to go in there? Well, there's the obvious stuff. Table, chairs, shelves for my models and of course a gaming board or three...

Surely there's more to it than though? Can anyone offer recommendations?
    Currently in the design process of a new home build so I can lend my recommendations based on what I told my designer. My space is going to double as a hobby area as well, not just for gaming.

Obviously space. Enough for an 8x4 table and seating. Don't want to have to squeeze around the table, it has to be freestanding so that you can get at least two people abreast between the table edge and the closest wall. In my case, I've got my designer coming up with a neat system where the 8x4 table drops from the ceiling via a remote control and can be hoisted back up into the recessed ceiling when not in use.

Light. Doubly important if you're going to be hobbying in there.

Mini fridge for refreshments. I went for a full bar setup since this will be in my basement/home theatre anyways. Kegerator hells yes!

Sound system. Serves double duty since this space will be for my home theatre as well.

Shelving/storage. I want to display my nerdy toys, not just keep them boxed up.

Lastly,

Ventilation - you know, because most of the time, sadly, nerds stink and you want to go ahead and prime models you're going to want to have a way to get all of those fumes out of there.

My hobby area is going to be a workbench area recessed into the end wall that will be closed off by bi-fold sliding doors (or a sliding barn door depending on what the budget allows) when not in use.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

"In my case, I've got my designer coming up with a neat system where the 8x4 table drops from the ceiling via a remote control and can be hoisted back up into the recessed ceiling when not in use."

A buddy of mine did a non-motorized version of that - he and his wife were having to share the spare room for their various hobbies (gaming and sewing), so we rigged up a retractable gaming table with cables and pulleys so we could lift up and save unfinished games for later.

Brother-Captain

Mini-fridge.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Get a 32" TV and DVD player, should both be pretty cheap these days, and set them in a corner or on a wall, and you can watch movies while playing games (or hobbying).

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Currently in the design process of a new home build so I can lend my recommendations based on what I told my designer. My space is going to double as a hobby area as well, not just for gaming.

Obviously space. Enough for an 8x4 table and seating. Don't want to have to squeeze around the table, it has to be freestanding so that you can get at least two people abreast between the table edge and the closest wall. In my case, I've got my designer coming up with a neat system where the 8x4 table drops from the ceiling via a remote control and can be hoisted back up into the recessed ceiling when not in use.

Light. Doubly important if you're going to be hobbying in there.

Mini fridge for refreshments. I went for a full bar setup since this will be in my basement/home theatre anyways. Kegerator hells yes!

Sound system. Serves double duty since this space will be for my home theatre as well.

Shelving/storage. I want to display my nerdy toys, not just keep them boxed up.

Lastly,

Ventilation - you know, because most of the time, sadly, nerds stink and you want to go ahead and prime models you're going to want to have a way to get all of those fumes out of there.

My hobby area is going to be a workbench area recessed into the end wall that will be closed off by bi-fold sliding doors (or a sliding barn door depending on what the budget allows) when not in use.
    Sadly I'll be renting, so can't have bionic board

Looking for suitable tables is.....odd. I'd rather have a 6x4 table, so board overhang is always minimal or non-existent. Also considering smaller side tables (like camping ones) for casualty storage etc.

Mini-fridge isn't a bad idea either....though proper beer does not require chilling.

TV and that? Perhaps a stereo.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

As tables go, it might be best to just make one. It's not that hard. Granted, there might be valid reasons you can't. If not, one option might be to use a pair of folding tables, with a surface set on top of them (like a roll-out mat, or a Realm of Battle board). You might end up with 6" of extra space on each side if you get, say, a pair of 30"x72" tables, but that's room you can use for dice and stuff. Another option might be to get a dining table that's close to the right size, and get a piece of plywood cut to the appropriate size, then fasten that to the top of the table (permanently or otherwise). Just need to make sure there's not too much of the sheet hanging over the sides, or that it's a thicker sheet, otherwise you risk breaking it.

For a "stereo," I'd suggest going with a small one, something like this:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Mountable-Vertical-Loading-Speakers/dp/B003XYAUUU/[/url]

I have a similar system, it produces good sound, especially for filling a small room. And you can hang it on a wall, so it can be out of the way.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    "In my case, I've got my designer coming up with a neat system where the 8x4 table drops from the ceiling via a remote control and can be hoisted back up into the recessed ceiling when not in use."

A buddy of mine did a non-motorized version of that - he and his wife were having to share the spare room for their various hobbies (gaming and sewing), so we rigged up a retractable gaming table with cables and pulleys so we could lift up and save unfinished games for later.
    Trying to convince my friend mountaincycle667, who is a masterful artist to do a 40k type mural on the bottom of the table so when the table is retracted, its like the Sistine Chapel of 40k :P

(really, I just want to scare the bejesus out of him while he's laying on his back 10' in the air)

Dreams... dreams...
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

I use two of these Banquet Tables that I bought via eBay.
    They are 6' x 2.5', so you end up with a 6' x 5' table.

Link
    [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-HEAVY-DUTY-6-FT-FOLDING-TABLE-PICNIC-PARTY-CAMPING-BANQUET-GARDEN-TABLES-/131231558508?hash=item1e8e02ab6c[/url]

Occuli Imperator

Coasters.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast