BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Is Chapter House Dead?

Evening All.

One of the FB 40K pages is running a thread by a CHS customer who paid months ago, no delivery, no response. The CHS FB page has had no update since April.

The discussion (40K for grown ups) makes the situation sound exactly like when Maelstrom Games went down, taking orders and not fulfilling.

Anyone got any ideas?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Their website is still up, but they don't seem to have produced anything new for a while, so far as I can see.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah, there was a big fanfare when they 'won' the case against GW, but then nothing after that. Very glad I didn't buy some bitz I was debating from there.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Hardly surprising as GW worked hard to freeze their assets for the time beeing. That does crush small businesses no matter if they win or no. That is why big companies can basically blackmail smaller companies into submission because even if the small business has a perfectly winnable case, it will go bankrupt over the course of the trial.

Then don't give the big boys reasons enough to sue you, and have your assets frozen?

But of course, GW = BADIRTY. Everyone else = sweetlysaints....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah, Chapterhouse made a deliberate thing out of challenging GW's IP, and if that happens, you either contest it or lose it.

I buy more from third party sellers than GW themselves these days, but places like Puppetswar, Maxmini and Victoria know not to be moronic and directly challenge a larger company just for the sake of naming your minis Space Marines rather than Astral Warriors or some other different-enough name that no-one has to bother.

You'll notice there's plenty of third party companies ripping GW's designs or at least making stuff intended to replace their minis within GW's game system that GW haven't sued. It's not like those companies are hard to find, either.

First-Captain

Heck, I've seen Forge World Designers using Scribor stuff in their armies that they use to play at Warhammer world (Minotaur Terminators with Scribor Shields)

GW doesn't care about 3rd party bits, you're using them on kits you bought from them anyway so they've still got your money, they care about protecting their IP, you know, because they have to.

naming your minis Space Marines rather than Astral Warriors or some other different-enough name that no-one has to bother.
    Interestingly it was not about the names but about the design.
    Miniatures like the "Scorpion Priestress" and the "Space Elf Arch Torturer" got removed (lost cases) while all "Space Marine Shoulder pads" cases were won.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Interestingly it was not about the names but about the design.
    Miniatures like the "Scorpion Priestress" and the "Space Elf Arch Torturer" got removed (lost cases) while all "Space Marine Shoulder pads" cases were won.
    Hmm, interesting. I suppose something like a shoulder pad is too generic, whereas the other two were probably noticeably similar to existing designs. Copyright laws are murky, awkward and kinda outdated, so I'm mainly speculating on how others have avoided the hammer while Chapterhouse stood underneath it trying to catch it.

Mostly by sitting in eastern europe (Maxmini, Puppetswar) or by producing generic stuff (victoria).
    Also others who received CnD letters did not take it to court (even if they were perfectly in their right) because they can not afford a trial.
    Thats basically it.
    Although in recent times GW seems to have ceased their mad lashings at everything that might or might not infringe their IP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast