BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Occuli Imperator

The comments I mentioned about short termism isn't anything special to GW.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33660426[/url]

(To summarise:

In 1970, £10 out of each £100 of profits were typically paid to shareholders through dividends. Now it is typically £60-£70

In 1945 the average investor held a share for an average of six years, but that has now fallen to just six months.
    These lower holding periods mean that the people ultimately charged with making decisions may have less interest in the long-term health of the companies they invest in.)
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    The comments I mentioned about short termism isn't anything special to GW.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33660426[/url]

(To summarise:

In 1970, £10 out of each £100 of profits were typically paid to shareholders through dividends. Now it is typically £60-£70

In 1945 the average investor held a share for an average of six years, but that has now fallen to just six months.
    These lower holding periods mean that the people ultimately charged with making decisions may have less interest in the long-term health of the companies they invest in.)
    sooooo...Greed? or just the economy being the economy?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    sooooo...Greed? or just the economy being the economy?
    same thing these days really.

Yay for unfettered capitalism

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

Thanks for quoting the troll.

To answer his point, I did stop buying from them. If I buy anything GW related, I tend to look for somewhere with a nice discount, and certainly not give money directly to them. But the local crowd is getting increasingly turned off by GW and looking into other games anyway, and since GW has said they don't want my money, I'm obliging by doing what they want me to and giving my money to someone else.

However, that doesn't excuse them from being complete morons for claiming their toy soldiers and games are really super-serious modeling hobby stuff. They sell games and toys. Claiming otherwise is just silly and they deserve to be mocked for trying it.
    my bad eric, he hasn't quite made it on my list yet, but I forsee him getting there quickly
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

[QUOTE=daboarder;514112]same thing these days really.

capitalism /QUOTE]

That made me lol DA

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Not really capitalism, and certainly not "unfettered." Often you can trace the problems back to some laws being passed "to protect the consumer" or whatever, which really just ends up being code for some politicians writing laws that help their buddies while making it harder to have the competition that capitalism thrives on. I don't think there's a single country left where true capitalism occurs, yet people always use the term as some kind of dirty word. And it's not even the system that's necessarily the issue, it's investors having so much easy access and being fickle.

The rise of all of these trading websites made the stock market a mess. People who have no clue what they're doing are jumping all over the place, selling and buying when they really shouldn't. A company that tries to ride those waves is just setting itself up for problems. While you don't want to piss off the shareholders, you also shouldn't run your business in a way to please them rather than the customers.

Even if the shareholders are short-term, that doesn't mean a successful business just goes for short-term gains (especially at the expense of long-term viability). When a company does that, like GW's doing right now, it sets itself up for some bad times ahead, especially when it ends up having to spend money - making the profits disappear - in order to right the ship again. Much better to get lower profits and have sustainability by keeping the good graces of the customers, rather than short-term profits so you can pay a small bit to the shareholders and tell them it's a sign that things are doing great (even as everything else you're saying and doing shows that it's really not that great).

When you tie your business plan to making the whims of people along for a short part of the ride happy, you're always going to flirt with disaster. That's not a problem with capitalism as a system, it's a problem with the idea of companies thinking they can get money by letting people "buy in" and own part of the company. If Games Workshop were to go private, they'd suddenly be looking at long-term sustainability... while still operating within capitalism (though certainly not "unfettered"). Personally, I wish they'd do that. If I magically stumbled across a large load of cash, I think I'd snatch it up just to make it private (and then have to deal with the headache of convincing the CEO to change the direction, or finding someone to replace him). It wouldn't be a bad investment, because with some work to make it sustainable long-term with a reasonable growth rate and even a 5% profit, you're still talking millions of dollars/pounds per year, which adds up over time. Sadly, I don't have a lot of money around, and I'm never going to win a major lottery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123