BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Razorback

Veteran-Sergeant

Question Razorback

can a 10 man tactical squad take a razorback if you plan on using combat squad at the start of the game. So 5 in the razorback and 5 out.

or since the unit is 10 strong they cannot take it as a dedicated transport, since it can only hold 6.

thanks for your help.
    SATAN in our lives is noted, all his vices often quoted and though he serves a spendid feast, at the table's head still sits the BEAST!!!!!!!!

Chaplain

They certainly can. Units that can take dedicated transports are limited in their options by squad size. Even if you took a ten man squad and didn't combat squad them it would still be legal.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Biscuit View Post
    Even if you took a ten man squad and didn't combat squad them it would still be legal.
    Seriously?! I'm not disparaging your response on any level, but that seems somewhat... cheesy. It's entirely possible I haven't read/comprehended the SM rules appropriately. But, ugh.

I would think a dedicated transport would have to posses the ability to actuallytransport all of the models to which it is assigned. At least initially.

I can certainly see the use of Combat Squads to split that, and then would take zero issue with the gang-of-five hopping the the Razorback. But the half-in/half-out thing seems... off. To me at least.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Its not really that cheesy. its 10 extra points for a heavy storm bolter and no firing ports and reduced transport capacity. Its an additional 50 points if you put a lascannon on the top of it.

You aren't getting anything for free by doing this.

Remember that you can do the same thing with a rhino as well. you can field it empty and combat squad the unit and deploy all 3 in different places on the board.

Same thing with empty drop pods. You see an opponent that will chew your drop pod infantry up? Fine. drop all the pods empty and use them for speed bumps.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Akkon Sek View Post
    Seriously?! I'm not disparaging your response on any level, but that seems somewhat... cheesy. It's entirely possible I haven't read/comprehended the SM rules appropriately. But, ugh.

I would think a dedicated transport would have to posses the ability to actuallytransport all of the models to which it is assigned. At least initially.

I can certainly see the use of Combat Squads to split that, and then would take zero issue with the gang-of-five hopping the the Razorback. But the half-in/half-out thing seems... off. To me at least.
    One may not put half a unit in and half a unit out - I'm relatively sure the brb specifically forbids this!

If your going to combat squad - its really not a bad idea.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    One may not put half a unit in and half a unit out - I'm relatively sure the brb specifically forbids this!
    Exactly. I thought this as well, but don't have the source material in front of me at the moment.

Personally, I would have absolutely no difficulty "allowing" the Combat Squads split (with Razorback). Though it might be stretching the rules somewhat as I believe the CS "split" happens technically after the models deploy to the table, so as-built it's a ten-man squad. The Razorback holds, what... six?

I imagine it could be argued that the Razorback can't fit them prior to that point (deployment). However I don't claim to be a 5E SM expert by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as the Heavy Bolter thing: I suppose from a fluff standpoint the mechanics to mount the turret are there regardless of what is actually installed. Hence the reduced transport capacity. Take out the gears/wires/turret ring/etc and it's just a vanilla Rhino.
    Last edited by Akkon Sek; 03-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akkon Sek View Post
    All he was saying is that you can buy a Razorback with a ten-man squad, whether or not you choose to combat squad that ten-man squad upon deployment. Which is completely true. A ten-man unit can't fit inside the Razorback, but it can still buy it. You could, for instance, buy a ten-man Devastator squad with a Razorback for extra firepower, then decide to deploy the Devastators in a single unit. The Devastators would not be able to embark in the Razorback in that case, but they would still have the Razorback's guns.

If you think about it, this is actually a pretty natural corollary to the combat squad rule itself. Since you don't have to embark in your dedicated transport, it would be needlessly restrictive for the rules to require a ten-man squad to split every time it bought a Razorback.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 03-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

so since when you split your squads, they become to different squads. I could buy a 10 man squad split them during deployment and put the razorback with in 2 inches and on the first turn put the 5 man tactical squad in. Correct?
    SATAN in our lives is noted, all his vices often quoted and though he serves a spendid feast, at the table's head still sits the BEAST!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joescalise View Post
    so since when you split your squads, they become to different squads. I could buy a 10 man squad split them during deployment and put the razorback with in 2 inches and on the first turn put the 5 man tactical squad in. Correct?
    Correct. In fact, if you buy a Razorback for a ten-man squad, you can split that squad during deployment and put one combat squad from the "parent" unit inside during deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by joescalise View Post
    As I understand it, absolutely. As now transports can taxi anyone. That's not the portion which bothers me (and "bothers" isn't the right term... more curiosity than anything else).

The odd portion for me is that SM can deploy a dedicated transport (purchased as such, with no corresponding Force Organization detriment) which cannot actually transport all the models to which it is initially "dedicated", should you choose not to use CS. Just seems weird to me is all.

Kinda' like a free (non-heavy-slot) Baal. With the admittedly lesser armor, no sponsons, etc.

Not attempting to be purposefully argumentative here.
    Last edited by Akkon Sek; 03-22-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast